Software
Houzz Logo Print
mikyle_miller

What color should we paint the exterior of this house? What color for

11 years ago
My mom wants to paint her house exterior.
Her interior is eclectic, boho & contemporary.

Comments (29)

  • 11 years ago
    This looks like the perfect opportunity to pull out the stops and indulge your flair ...you don't mention the area she lives in but I would entertain the thought of doing each side a varying shade...sort of an ombré...the back of the house a little more tropical shades to enhance the pool and landscaping perhaps a pale dusty teal...a pale periwinkle lavender..colors close but different...the sides and front of the house can be a little more neutral ( to preserve good relations with the neighbors) perhaps varying shades from pale terra cotta ...pinky beige and taupe...the key to making this work is to choose dusty pale colors...they will look pretty neutral at a glance but at different times of day a little shot of color will emerge
  • 11 years ago
    If this all seems too overwhelming to you try any of the mentioned colors on the whole house..accent being on a COLOR...not a neutral
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    She is in Austin, Tx.
  • 11 years ago

    Sherwin Williams' Copen Blue with cream trim and a dark taupe door. Deliciously cool with the plants and pool! (There is a house somewhere on Houzz painted Copen blue)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    With that exterior would stay with a color that is natural and looks like stonework. I would actually prefer to see some of the stone areas painted a slightly darker and some painted slightly lighter to give the stone more dimension....stay with the stone look!

  • 11 years ago

    I agree! Why paint the stone work? If it needs a finish, I'd do a clear coat. We can see only a small amount of wood trim around the door. I'd keep the Trim a color found in nature, like rust, green, greige, etc. as a strong accent color.


  • 11 years ago

    Just listen to your heart and to them what soothes your natural outlook of your house and be inspired. I might say a color that contrast to the natural view of your house so to make it more alive.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would leave the stone as is and paint the trim white, but paint the door a nice bright color.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    With the lovely green foliage and decorative color of other flowering plants to provide color I would paint the wooden part of the house DARK - not sure if the tones of the stone/brick are a true beige or if they're tan. But dk grey or even black would be dramatic. Introduce some teak wood tones and this backyard would seriously pop with elegance AND a hip vibe.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I would change the roof.......something a bit deeper and then paint the trim on the house and the doors.........the stone is lovely and not meant for paint.


  • 11 years ago

    Leave the stone alone...it's lovely. Personally, with the pool/greenery, I think of sunny and happy, thus a soft yellow. Tricky color to avoid neon/limey, but it can be done.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You aren't talking about painting that beautiful exterior stone, are you? I certainly hope not. Painting the door and trim a funky color (not too shocking, remember the neighbors have to look at it more than you) to give it pizzazz might be a good idea.

  • 11 years ago

    Your mom should paint the house any color she wants. If she is seeking your advice just help her eliminate colors of paint she doesn't like until she narrows her choice to the colors she wants. It is great to talk things over with someone you love. I enjoy it when my 50yr old son helps me make a decision but does it in such a way he makes me think I have made the decision. Always gives me a chuckle. Nice of you to help your mom.


  • 11 years ago

    We built an in-law suite for my mother when she needed care from us. She chose pink for the entire interior. Not Pepto pink, but still pink. My husband and I never let on how much we hated it because she loved it so much. We did repaint after she passed away, but I never regretted painting that entire space pink. If your mom hates the stone, paint it for her. If she has no idea what color she wants, go to Sherwin Williams and get some samples of colors you like (they have the BEST samples) or colors that have been suggested. Paint some big squares so she can pick one she loves. Personally, I love stacked stone - but it's your mom's house and maybe she's just tired of it. The most important thing is to make your mom happy - and hang what the neighbors or anyone else thinks! Bless you for looking after her :-)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Love all the suggestions, thanks!
    The inquiry was about painting the wooden trim and definitely not the stone.
    She wants to leave the stone alone, for sure.

    I like that you all have thought about how the pool and landscape would be incorporated in the overall look.
  • 11 years ago

    I would first clean up the plants & put in a small seating area of even a hammock. As for the house possibly a light terracotta with either a dark brown for doors and trim or even a brick red

  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Helen Davis - samples of her favorite colors in large swatches outside to view in all light levels. She likes boho - periwinkle, lavender, fuschia, orange, red, yellow, lime, and incorporating black to ground the variety - use colors on door, metal flowers, hammock, furniture, umbrella, ceramic pots, etc. Pull color of plantings and pool into the color design. Must have black to ground and define - perhaps the soffits could be black and the door frame and window frames in black with black mulch, planting pots or large stones incorporated in the grounds. Love the stone on the house. Pops of select colors with touches of multiple boho colors in pillows, candles, smaller planting pots (even mixing up the size & shape of the pots - square, cylindrical, etc). This is all about how it makes her feel. Life should be gentle, happy, and loving to her - and you are an angel for helping her find her peace.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Super stoked about these ideas.

    Any suggestions for blue shades?
    Someone said Copen Blue but it's too pale for her taste.
    She's looking for more of a cornflower blue or is open to other suggestions.

    Thanks!
  • 11 years ago

    Can you match the door color to the pool tile?

  • 11 years ago

    My favorite is the little house at the top. Very beachy and friendly.


  • 11 years ago
    I agree that it's the roof, if she can, that needs changed and I like the cream and French blue idea. Being from Austin you are close enough to Waco that u might be able to contact Jo at Magnolia Farms ( Fixer Upper on Hgtv). Send her a pic. She always has great paint colors
  • 11 years ago
    try oceanside blue from Sherwin Williams. Deep color but would look fabulous with the pool and yard! Accent with another color on the door....cream, mango, or a chartreuse green! I have oceanside blue in my current house and love it. By the way, your mom's home is lovely. ...
  • 11 years ago

    White or cream on wood with stone left as is. A new roof shingled in concrete tiles would look terrific. I too love the green and white house but can't picture it on your Mother's home.

  • 11 years ago

    I agree with matching the pool tile; but not the darkest part -- some suggestions in Sherwin Williams paint (I stick with SW, again, because of the great samples you can try...)

    Cloudless, Regale Blue, Liquid Blue and Something Blue; The dark taupe door would still look good, but so would red! and then you could add a few pots of red begonias or salvia -- both pretty easy to care for and would make the color POP with all the green. I just love her back yard with the pool and plants - so many opportunities! Make sure to post photos of what you do :-)

  • 11 years ago

    I would not paint the stone...that should be against the law?! Trim darker, refresh the roof, trim back some of the landscaping plants. Wonder what the outcome was?

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think she is going to go with blue for the paint. Not sure which shade yet.
    And she is liking the idea of a taupe or red door.
    I will post pics when the work is complete.
    Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.
  • 11 years ago

    Try turquoise blue.