Shop Products
novachild99

Tomato growing vines from leaves and fruit branches?

I had some kind of cherry tomato plant volunteer in a big dirt pile behind my house (from digging out a garden bed). Stuck a big cage around it and decided to prune it heavily to just a couple of stalks and top it off when it grows over the top so it wouldn't topple. Easy peasy.

It is working fine but the tomato is growing in ways I have never seen. I had a couple of fruit stems grow off the main stalk and make some beautiful large cherries. No problem. But then they kept growing, turned upward, got hairy, and started to work as a growing vine! Two of those. I have never seen this behavior on a tomato before.

Today I noticed what looks like little vine sprouts growing from between fronds on the leaves too.

I have never seen growth from these non-sucker spots before. Have I accidentally crested some kind of weird mutant tomato? Has anybody ever seen this behavior before?

• 9 years ago

Tomato trusses grow on the stem, not from the leaf node.
    Sometimes, in some varieties, the end of truss turns into a branch.
    Is that what you have ?

Sey

• 9 years ago

It looks like two of my trusses have turned into branches. First time I have ever seen that but if you say it happens I certainly believe. But it really does look like I've got some baby branches starting to grow out of leaves too: look at my last two pics?

• 9 years ago

Here is one of the leaf growing branches today. Definitely looking like a branch.

• 9 years ago

Volunteers from hybrid seeds can show all kinds of throwback, unusual growth patterns. Even volunteers from a crossed OP seed can. You can see it from the leaves too - 2 different types. And aggressive pruning sometimes triggers unusual leaf/branch development similar to growing-in-the-wild plants, a stubborn response somewhat like a child's temper tantrum. :)

Do you have a mutant? Yup.

Dave

• 9 years ago

That is very cool. Wonder if they will taste good.

• 9 years ago

> That is very cool. Wonder if they will taste good.

i don't think a tomato that doesn't taste good exists ;)

if the seeds came from a fruit that came from a hybrid plant this is possible as mentioned.
    also, if you think this is weird this is nothing.. some plants can produce different types of tomatoes on a single plant including different sizes from grape size all the way to huge big beef size tomatoes.

imagine having a plant where you can pick cherry tomato, roma/plum and big beefs from a single plant lol...

• 9 years ago

I was so excited when I had tomato volunteers a few years ago. I watered and fed them and I could hardy wait to eat them. Well, shucks! They tasted bitter and the skin was very tough.

• 9 years ago

Take a cutting and keep it going all winter. In the spring, take another cutting or 2, along with the mother, and set it outside.

You may have something you like. It sure seems like it wants to grow!

• 9 years ago

I prune all of my plants to 3 stems and I see this happen quite a bit... especially the trusses sending out a new stem. I just pinch mine off, so the plant does not waste any energy on it. Sometimes I leave it alone for a while until it gets a few leaves and then I pinch it. I do this to encourage more shade for the fruit since I am pruning to only 3 stems and no suckers.

• 9 years ago

Anytime I see a branch is about to grow from the tip of a flower cluster, just nip it right away. It happens often.

• 9 years ago

I just noticed tonight that one truss on my Hawaiian Pineapple is doing this. Guess I will nip it tomorrow.

• 4 months ago

My black cherry tomatoes do this every year! I was here trying to find out if this was normal and if I should let them do it or cut them back.

• 3 months ago

Laurie - You can do either. Mostly personal preference.

• 3 months ago

Suckers grow from the spots where the leaves meet the main stem. If you don't pinch them off, they grow into a new plant and can sap energy from the main plant. Many people remove them as soon as they appear. If you leave them, you can have more foliage and fewer fruit.