Software
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

a key issue in kitchen planning...or not?

11 years ago

I've been lurking and posting for many years, on and off, and I don't recall ever having read a post about one of the key issues for me when planning out our new kitchen: avoiding water on the floor.

Our existing kitchen had a cooktop on an island, which I hated for many reasons. One of the reasons was that after chopping wet vegetables they had to be transported over the floor to the stove, getting the floor wet (making it dirty and slippery). In planning a new kitchen, the very first thing for me was to make sure that vegetables could be washed and moved to a cutting board without being carried over the floor and, likewise, that they could go from the cutting board to the stove readily.

I see a lot of kitchen plans that don't avoid water getting on the floor from sink to cutting board or from cutting board to stove. And I never see anybody talking about something that was absolutely essential to me! Is this not an issue for other people? (I'm not even the floor cleaner in the family.)

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My prep sink is on the same counter run as my range but I don't have an island. Many prep sinks are put on islands and the range is not. However, not dripping on the floor is why the prep sink and range is on the same run and not around a corner.

    I wouldn't call it a key issue but it was something that I considered and was able to address.

  • 11 years ago

    For me it absolutely was. My kitchen is a U with the sink centered on the back leg, my main prep area in the corner and my range centered on the right side leg.


    It is also the reason I do not, and will never understand putting wood floors in a wet zone.


    I know its all the rage and I know people have been doing it for centuries (having wood floors in wet areas) but I also KNOW how many times I've read of modern appliances failing, water line to fridge, DW, etc that I simply can't comprehend putting a flooring material that doesn't hold up to water in an area guaranteed to get wet.


    For me, I wanted to reduce drips by having a solid run of counter between my sink, prep and range and I also wanted a flooring that I didn't have to worry would be destroyed by water.

  • 11 years ago

    I have my sink on my island and my stove directly behind it on the other side of the aisle. Love it!! I may occasion drip something, but being able to work at the sink and turn and work at the sink (eg drain pasta) is perfect for me.

  • 11 years ago

    No. I never considered this. I sweep the floor a couple times a day and do a micro mop every night. Clean floors are my OCD thing.

  • 11 years ago

    I like to use a small, light cutting board so I can transfer veggies to pan on the cutting board. I agree it is ideal for the sink, prep area, and range to be on one run.

  • 11 years ago

    after chopping wet vegetables they had to be transported over the floor
    to the stove, getting the floor wet (making it dirty and slippery).

    I carry food from the chopping area to the stove in a bowl, or on the cutting mat to avoid the dribbles.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    In my current totally dysfunctional and small kitchen, I never had problems with carrying stuff over floors, but I did put wet veggies in bowls and other related deep containers for the transfer. Due to 20 years of adaptation, it is seriously not an issue.

  • 11 years ago

    I have my sink and cooktop on the arms of my "U" kitchen with a wonderful swath of prep counter in the middle but still carry my drained veggies (in drainer , placed in a large aluminum bowl) over to the stove through the center of the U. Never occurred to me to do otherwise. If there are a few small drips that is taken care quickly by the swiffer or a drying towel that is headed to the washing machine anyhow. When we have multiple cooks and the kitchen is a disaster visually anyhow, I leave a towel in the corner by the baseboards just to wipe up the floor drops and toss it into the washing machine directly, whenever appropriate. I have wood look tile so drops on the floor are not an issue. If I carried the veggies over the countertop, I'd still have to wipe up the drops on the countertop so no difference really.

  • 11 years ago

    Like you I am also a long time lurker and learnt lot of things from this forum. For me, having prep sink in the same run as the cooktop was very important. I just started using my new kitchen for about two weeks and I love it. My habit is that, I do cooking and prepping at the same time. Having stove right next to me feel more efficient rather than turning back to see whats going on in the stove. Thats why at the last moment, I changed my design and included the prep sink in the same cabinet run. IMO, it is probably based on personal preference / habit - you should go with what works best for you. Cheers :).

  • 11 years ago

    We knew it would be a problem when we purchased this house, but it was one tiny thing in an otherwise perfect house in a perfect location. The problem is the dishwasher location. The sink is under a window with plenty of counter space on both sides, but the DW is at the turn and I rinse dishes and must go across a diagonal to put them in. Thank God for tile floors!


  • 11 years ago

    scrappy, I do the same as you--the 'floor' towel is hung on the rung of a stool, so that no one picks it up to wipe the counters.


  • 11 years ago

    I do have that design flaw in my 2.5year kitchen remodel and it was brought to my attention here, at the time. I had a tricky space to design and did not want my range accessible from my peninsula b/c I have young kids that would have likely reached over and burned themselves. So, although it was a consideration, I opted for "wet floors" versus "burned hands." Having said that, I really haven't had an issue with wet floors from bringing prepped food to my range. I often bring the skillet or pot to the sink, cut my meat or veggies and fill the pot or skillet next to the sink, then place it on the stove. If I add as I go, I often chop into a small bowl, then transfer then from there. Here is the layout... while it may get critiqued here, it works for me!


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My view is why tempt fate. If you can avoid crossing flooring with wet things, then do it. All it takes is one drop in the wrong place at the wrong time. By definition, you cannot plan for an accident, you can only minimize the risk.

  • 11 years ago

    I'm surprised so many are accepting of drippy pathways or accommodate with bowls and cutting boards. I daresay that most of you are neater and more OCD about your kitchens than I, but after years of living with the range on the other side of the kitchen from the sink I knew that I had to have both on the same wall with a decent prep area between. I was sure I lived with a serious design flaw but apparently many wouldn't be bothered by it! It really was bothersome to me though and I'm glad to be done with it.


  • 11 years ago

    I've never found it to be a problem and frankly never considered it.

  • 11 years ago

    I, too, like to avoid food drips just because I hate to mop! Or use a floor towel. I'm lazy and look for the easiest way to keep things reasonably clean. So, ditto, 12crumbles.

  • 11 years ago

    in the scheme of things this is barely there for me.

  • 11 years ago

    I hate food/water drips. Our sink is on the island and stove is behind us. We always put choppings into the pot first then transfer to stove or into bowls then turn to the stove. I never wanted to transfer directly with wet items directly to the stove. I cook everything to maximize time so everything is planned out mise-en-place.

  • 11 years ago

    I love having the stove on the same run as the sink. I used to have to carry things over and it was much harder to keep the floor clean. I also like how easy it is to keep an eye on what's cooking.

    I have a small kitchen and my layout isn't ideal (DW between sink and range), but just having the convenience of the stove near the sink is great for me and the way I cook. I also have new hardwood floors so I'm probably extra sensitive to getting spills on the floor right now.