Software
Houzz Logo Print
amaddox7

Foyer - still can't decide

11 years ago

Painter is coming and I still need to decide....please help. Does the lamp work

Thank you

A

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago

    In my opinion, lighter is better, especially for an entry way that appears to get great natural sunlight. A lighter color will also make the entry feel larger, which is a good thing, as it sets the tone for the rest of your home. Good luck!


    Regarding the lamp, I like it - but I could also see you finding a lamp with a slimmer neck so you have more mirror behind it. A slim, modern brass lamp might look nice!

    Anne Maddox thanked Alyssa S.
  • 11 years ago

    I like the lamp - I think it looks great there. Are you just painting the one wall the dark color? It's pretty but won't be great on the front door wall.

    Anne Maddox thanked Ann
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I like the existing color of paint also, so how about using a slightly darker shade of the existing wall paint.

    The lamp is great! I would move it a little to the left and then remove a few items from your console to lighten things up.

    Anne Maddox thanked McAdams Remodeling & Design
  • 11 years ago

    The dark brown paint does not seem to relate to your space. Your rug looks like it has gray in it, unless I'm mistaken. I would stick with the shade you already have or choose a lighter gray if you want more contrast. Your rug is beautiful!

    Anne Maddox thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Oh, looking again at the paint strips on the wall, maybe you are choosing a dark color from a strip with your current wall color on it - are you?

  • 11 years ago

    If that's true (that one of those strips has your exact wall color on it), I'd let that be the deciding factor for which brown to choose - the one from the wall color strip.

    Anne Maddox thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, my dinning room & Kitchen are painted SW Latte. I realize my foyer is small but I wanted to get away from the white color. Do have an opinion regarding the accessories ?

  • 11 years ago

    What about nomadic desert for the foyer? That might be pretty.

    Anne Maddox thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    I do think the top and bottom of the table look a little crowded. Nice things, but maybe a couple too many. I might leave the lamp and choose a few of your favorite other things from those choices and play around a little with a few things removed.

    Anne Maddox thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love the table, hate the mirror which is too large. It should be no more than 75% of the table's width. You could hang it vertically but then it would be taller than the door frame and look unbalanced. I'd get an oval mirror in the same finish as the table or in the finish of the drawer pulls. The items underneath look almost too heavy to be supported by the thin shelf. Try your grass planter on one and a medium tall stack of books on the other. Get the new mirror and we'll see what to do about the top of the table. Paint in the lightest tint from the color strip card for SW Latte. You want the foyer to introduce you, your style and set expectations for the adjoining spaces.

    Anne Maddox thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you, I just realized my kitchen is latte and my dinning room paint is nomadic desert, my family room is just off of the foyer. So do I paint the foyer and the family room the same color. Just bought the mirror, can't take it back so it has to work, but thank you for your other ideas.

  • 11 years ago

    All SW Paint

  • 11 years ago

    The original colour looks good. I'd paint the mirror frame the dark colour, move the lamp to the left side of the table and take everything else off of the table except the globe. cool!

  • 11 years ago

    The family room and foyer can most definitely be the same color. And, it's rather common to move around the same color strip a bit, using the colors one or two away from each other in various ways or in rooms next to or near one another. I do like the lighter and medium colors on the strip a little better than the really dark ones from the top of the post.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I really love your existing color but if your looking for a change i would go with a lighter color that still adds a bit of warmth. I'm assuming that's why your going with the darker colors? Maybe something like the Farrow & Ball Old White:

    http://us.farrow-ball.com/old-white/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100004

    Or maybe even a blue like the Farrow & Ball Borrowed Light:

    http://us.farrow-ball.com/borrowed-light/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100235


    I love the blue lamp but would remove everything else from the table except for what's sitting to the left on top of the table. Those 3 pieces together would work perfectly.


  • 11 years ago

    I would like to see the mirror painted a deeper color, possibly one that relates to an adjoining room in your home. I see you have transom windows above your front door and hanging the mirror vertically may work out well. I agree to many items on the table. I would move the lamp to the left side of the table, the globe to the right, with or without the books. I love the the rattan cases and would place those on the floor in the corner in front of your side light. You have a lovely table and the items you place upon it should enhance it not compete for your eyes attention. I usually follow the less is more rule and large objects but fewer of them. Look forward to seeing your completed foyer....

    Anne Maddox thanked carolt924
  • 11 years ago
    I would paint it SW Kilim Beige. I have Latte in my foyer and hall and wish I would have went a little lighter. I actually had that same lamp in my hand a few days ago but there was only one and I wanted a set.
    Anne Maddox thanked linlac
  • 11 years ago
    Your table and lamp are lovely. Choose a lighter shade for wall paint and turn your mirror vertically.
    Anne Maddox thanked springcath