Software
Houzz Logo Print
lrcampbell527

need help for exterior pleaseeeee

11 years ago

Someone please help me update the exterior of my house. I hate it! We are ready for new siding and not sure what to do with the enclosed porch. Whether to open it up or update with new windows and such. My brain hurts from trying to figure this out.

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago
    I agree that the window upstairs could be taller if possible, if not wider. Board an batten siding has vertical line that makes a house look taller, or to me at least. B&B would look good upstairs and I believe It can be done in James Hardie Board which is REALLY durable, and looks like wood. For the porch open it up (fresh air!) and bring the opening down some maybe. You could screen it in to keep bugs out (and they make claw proof screen if pets are an issue) and have wood "columns" stained a nice color. (Just look up screened porches on house photos.) I can't tell if it is the front of your house or not so maybe having it all open would look more inviting, but if it's the back I would screen it. Also the door to the porch, I feel like it could have less of a boarder and be more open looking. And the steps to the door, it would be nice if you could have a small deck that is flush with the door and then have steps come off that.
  • 11 years ago
    Also beige is a pretty color but I feel a grey would be nice, however red is an undertone of beige and the roof might match beige better.
    lrcampbell527 thanked Owen Edwards
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Your house is lovely. I would restore it back to an open porch with round columns from floor to ceiling. An open porch is so inviting when it's done correctly, plus it looks deep which makes it even more beautiful. Start to search porches and get inspired. I envision your home with slate blue siding, white columns, a beautiful rustic wood front door and a bigger window in the dormer. Good luck, your house has charm, bring it back!
  • 11 years ago

    I agree that the open porch fits the home best. Here are 2 pics of similar homes:

  • 11 years ago

    Yes, open the porch!! How exciting for you!!

  • 11 years ago

    I would love to restore to open porch, but can't talk my husband into it. We live in northern ohio and it would be nice to keep the enclosed porch. I am just having trouble making it look nice. I definitely agree about making the windows bigger. Maybe a partial open porch?

  • 11 years ago

    Your home's exterior is missing many of the original details a home of this age would have. If you keep the porch enclosed, see if you can reconfigure the windows to be more symmetrical, especially around the door. It appears the window on the left is smaller than the one on the right. Beef up the trimwork around the porch windows as well as around the windows in the second story to better reflect a cottage/craftsman aesthetic. Trim above the second story windows could add the necessary height without actually replacing the windows. Some detail in the peak would also help the existing windows look like they are in better proportion in that space. Paint this trimwork to contrast with the siding so those new details can shine.

  • 11 years ago

    A larger landing outside the front door would make for a nicer entrance, too--not so necessary if you open your existing porch, but definitely necessary if you keep it enclosed.

  • 11 years ago

    So I played in the Sherwin William paint color visualizer , I am a BAD painter when it comes to trim, obviously . But this will give you an idea of how a simple change in trim color will make a huge difference. Also another small change that would help would be two matching ( maybe wrought iron) railings going down from the front door.




    Green is my favorite....

    lrcampbell527 thanked Diane Land
  • 11 years ago

    I think that if you do something similar to the top photo on Diane Land's first post, it would look really good! You may also want to consider a few "Saturday projects"- like a stone or gravel path leading through the front yard to the sidewalk/street, and perhaps perennials surrounded with mulch bordering this path. Both are pretty easy and don't cost much, but greatly enhance the exterior of your home.

    lrcampbell527 thanked J K
  • 11 years ago

    Agree with larger windows. Maybe stone veneer or paneled siding on the porch.

    lrcampbell527 thanked brickln
Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21