Software
Houzz Logo Print
paligar

suggestions for space above mantle?

11 years ago
Not exactly sure what (if anything) I should place in the space above the mantle? I have a fairly large mirror behind the couch and so another mirror is out! Artwork perhaps? Or would it be two busy with the other two wall art pieces on the same wall? I've put a couple of pictures of the room so you can get a better idea.. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome! Also, I know I need to get some window treatment in the room.. Any suggestions?? The wall color (which I love) is called Victorian mauve by BM- muted purple with greyish overtones I would say.. Very clam and relaxing. Thanks in advance.

Comments (69)

  • 11 years ago
    Just wanted to tell you I love those chairs!!! The whole room is very pretty!
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you shars55 :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Paligar- is it possible to hang your mirrors in a horizontal orientation over your sofa, instead of vertical? I love your choices thus far (and recognize many of them) - and agree that you should have a framed piece over the fireplace. A little color, whether in a family portrait, or a painterly one, will be beautiful.


  • 11 years ago
    This room is beautiful. I like the idea of vases with branches of lilacs, etc. which could change seasonally. And a couple chunky candlesticks. There are a lot of squares and rectangles in this room and I thing something like that or a sculptural piece would be better than a framed picture.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Michelle for your kind words... There is a long story behind that mirror but I'll spare you the drama and tell you that those are actually 6 individual mirrors which my husband (painstakingly) bolted together in the back... That mirror is SO heavy that I'm really amazed that it didn't bring my wall down when we were hanging it.. Long story short, I can't hang it horizontally ;(
    I agree with the floral arrangement on the table except faux arrangements are not at all appealing to me! I'd have to get real flowers.. I do love the painting you placed above the mantle in that pic. I guess I just haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. That's not an EA piece is it? Perhaps you could suggest some online sites that might have some bold, interesting, and why not - quirky or whimsical pieces that I could check out??
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks surus68 :)
  • 11 years ago
    Remove mirror behind the sofa. Put a decorative framed mirror above the mantle, and interesting piece of sculpture or glass bowl in front if the mirror... Something large..
  • 11 years ago

    Glad my input inspired you. Upon seeing Mark's suggestion for drapery placement, I'd be careful with stacking them all the way to the corners. Next to the specialty trim they will begin to make the window side of the FP wall get off balance. The wall area around the trim and art piece will be partly covered and the effect when looking at the FP wall will become unbalanced. Balance is what you have working so well in this room. To prevent the issue that drapery panels may cause, you might try inside mounted fabric valances or shades in a specialty style. I'll see if I can find pix to show you some styles to consider.


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    That actually is an Ethan Allen piece of art, from the custom framed line - She's called "Birds and Roses" and she's one of my favorites.

    Laguna Niguel Residence · More Info

    Here she is in a master suite, above a fireplace.

    and here's how I specified the sizing and frame for you-

    I chose the smallest canvas for you, because of the size of the molding above the fireplace - I thought this would be appropriate.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I do understand about changing the mirror above the sofa - sometimes we have to look at things like that as acts of love - and not over think them!


  • 11 years ago
    I do like that painting very much and the colors work well in the room. I like her face.. (I guess that's why you do what you do and I can tell you're really good at it
  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful space! I would go with a family portrait over the mantle. The mirror will look gorgeous horizontal, even though it looks beautiful the way you have it now. I love your décor!


  • 11 years ago

    I ordered the Ethan Allen custom art piece!! Can't wait for it to arrive ,) Very excited! Thanks Michelle Scott!!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Awesome! Which designer are you working with? or did you order it online?

  • 11 years ago

    Can't wait for you to post a pic of the end product!

    Palig thanked Diane Land
  • 11 years ago
    I ordered online... If there is any way that you can take the credit for the sale, I'd be more than happy to give it to you Michelle :)
    Please let me know if I can help in any way :)
    I will definitely post a pic once it arrives and is hung :) All that's left to do in this room, I think, is window treatments... Kind of intimidating to me ;)
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You would have had selected me as your designer of preference at the time of ordering - I don't think you can do it after the fact. I am glad I could help, regardless!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Have you got an "after" photo yet?

  • 10 years ago
    My birds and roses framed art will be arriving next Monday. I'll post a pic as soon as I hang it up.
  • 10 years ago
    Done! Artwork is hung and I love it!! Thank you Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen
  • 10 years ago
    I don't feel that is the best piece to hang there...to small and square is not the best shape for that area..so sorry maybe talk to your designer from Ethan Allen and show here how this shape and size is not working...picture is very pretty but not the best for that space.

    You have such a gorgeous room!!!!!
  • 10 years ago

    The picture is lovely, you just need some company for it

  • 10 years ago

    susan is right....just needs a little balance. Looks lovely in the room.

  • 10 years ago
    Agree very pretty picture...not right proportion..a shame she had to spend a good amount on art and have to add insignificant accessories to make it look right.
  • 10 years ago

    Hey, zz lighten up :>) she fell in love with the picture and if she needs to add a bit to make it look perfect then no big deal. Most pictures on mantels always look better with some added décor.

  • 10 years ago

    Look forward to seeing the other picture. Do send photos.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    She looks beautiful up there! I love the soft color that she brings in! I am so happy for you!

  • 10 years ago
    I know Susan 2494...I just get upset when it just isn't right...Ethan Allen is so expensive and I think the Art should look perfect and fantastic when you are told by a designer it will work...I will let this one go..the room has been done so well I just had to let it out!!
  • 10 years ago
    How's this?
  • 10 years ago
    I think it looks lovely, and most people put things on their mantles.
    Palig thanked shars55
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks shars55
  • 10 years ago

    Your room is beautiful.

    Palig thanked Architectural Notice
  • 10 years ago

    Your items are too small, they need to fill the space on each side of picture.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks Architectural Novice :)
  • 10 years ago
    Hi Susan2494, I respectfully disagree.. I like how they're subtle and not too big. I feel otherwise, they would compete with the artwork. Thanks for your input
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    No problem, whatever appeals to you.

    Palig thanked susan2494
  • 10 years ago

    paligar it's working! It has a clean vibe with balance now.

    Palig thanked Diane Land
  • 10 years ago

    paigar,

    Your "how's this" post;

    My monitor tricked me so that the picture frame looks dark green . I thought "what a great little tweak! :->

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think the picture would work better standing on the mantle and leaning against the wall. Then you would have a little "white" space at the top. Flank it with whatever, but hanging like that with both top and bottom edges of the frame touching both top and bottom of the white trim looks odd.

  • 10 years ago
    That is a great piece of advice...art leaning on mantle would look beautiful...will look much better.
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for all of your advice and opinions but I am quite happy with my final result.

  • 10 years ago
    Best to remove your post! Than we won't drive you crazy with more opinions. Happy you are happy
  • 10 years ago

    The room was beautiful. The picture doesn't seem to complement the room. I am not a pro-but the picture is a bit weird. Sorry....I think the family portrait would of been lovely.

  • 10 years ago
    How does one delete a post?
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Houzz doesn't allow you to delete if you are the original poster. Might be a good idea to post one last time, thank everyone for their advice and tell them you won't be responding to anymore postings. Good Luck

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments/opinions/suggestions but I am quite happy with my room. Please consider this post closed.
  • 9 years ago

    Your room is beautiful. Would you mind sharing your paint color?

  • 9 years ago

    Paint color was shared in the beginning description of the dilemma 2 years ago.

  • 9 years ago

    Don't know how I missed that, thank you so much!