Crystal Cabinets. I choose Crystal for my remodel after a positive experience
with Crystal cabinets back in 2009 when I remodeled our Lake Tahoe Vacation
home. This time around, the experience was horrific, with numerous defects in
the Crystal cabinets ranging from paint chips, dents, unpainted surfaces, wrong
dimensions, warped doors, shipping damage, long delays in correcting the
numerous defects and horrible customer service. My cabinets were ordered in
October of 2014. They were delivered in February 2015. We ordered cabinets with
the signature Bisque paint after being convinced that Crystals paint would
outlast any finish that could be applied in California. A big part of our decision
to go with painted cabinets from Crystal was the durability of the paint.

The cabinets arrived with very thin paint, with over half
the edges showing the underlying wood. They arrived in cardboard boxes with no
protective covering other than a thin plastic bag. Several cabinets had dents,
many more had paint wear through.

A number of our cabinets had to be returned to Minnesota for
repair and repainting. With total disregard for the customer. Crystal took over
six weeks to return the “repaired cabinets”. The returned cabinets exhibited
many of the same issues. We still had numerous paint problems, especially with
thin paint on all cabinet edges. We had dented posts that came back with a bit
of bondo which clearly did not rectify the problem. Those posts had to be
reordered and we had to wait another 5 weeks for the new posts. When the new
posts arrived, they were too small, the paint was a different color and sheen.
More new posts were ordered and we waited another 5 weeks. Obviously, no one
inspected our cabinets before shipping.

Meanwhile, we installed the other cabinets only to find that
the bench seating cabinets would not fit with the adjacent cabinets because
Crystal did not follow the spec measurements for the bench and as a result the
bench seating cabinets were made too deep and would not fit next to the
decorative post of the adjacent cabinet. The bench seating cabinet had to be
modified by removing the back and cutting off ½ inch off the depth. We also
found warped cabinet doors, more paint chips on doors, paint wear through on
panels that had not even been used, etc.

In all, our remodel job was delayed for almost three months
as a direct result of Crystals extremely poor quality assurance and even worst
customer service. My contractors have been delayed repeatedly and I get to pay
for the costs of these delays, in addition to living without a kitchen for an
additional three months.

At this point in time, (July 18) I am still waiting for
correct decorative panels for my island, replacement doors for the chipped
paint and warped doors issues. When those arrive, I will again have to pay my
contractor to come out and install the previously defective items.

In summary, I made the mistake of my life going with Crystal
cabinets. The company needs to do a thorough review of its quality assurance
program (if indeed it has one) and seriously revamp their customer service
department. In the world of construction and especially remodeling, it is
simply unacceptable to wait 6 weeks for cabinet problems to be corrected. It is
unacceptable to ship out obviously defective merchandise, especially a second
or third time when you know the customer has already been waiting too long.
Because of these problems and associated delays, my contractor has billed me
over $5000 to compensate for the workarounds, construction delays, stops and
starts. I can’t say I blame him. Time is money and these problems have cost his
crew lots of time.

I fully expect warranty issues with the paint as it is so
thinly applied that it most certainly will not stand the test of time. If I had
any alternative, I would not have installed these cabinets. Now I am stuck with
dealing with Crystal in the event the paint fails or completely wears through.

In summary,

I would strongly advise any prospective customer to look elsewhere

Comments (148)

• sfong06
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mabsy, here is a list of appliances I choose:

Bluestar Platinum 48" range in stainless

Ventahood 54" Custom copper 1200 CFM, four blower hood

Wolf Convection Steam oven

Wolf microwave drawer

Subzero integrated 30" refrigerator

Subzero integrated 24" freezer

Bosch 8 series dishwasher

Alex Duetto 3.0 espresso machine

Flexfire LED undercabinet, in cabinet and toe kick lighting

Elkay sil granite sink

Home perfection artesia full contact RO water filter

Insinkerator hot water dispenser

• sfong06
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some photos of my kitchen. sorry, I am not cooking in these photos but maybe later. Sure beats photos of the problematic cabinets huh?:

• shelayne
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

sfong06, your kitchen is beautiful, and I am so happy for you that you are enjoying it. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I am sorry that you had to endure so much frustration and disappointment in the process. As much as I (along with a good number of lurkers, I imagine) wanted to see you get your issues resolved, including compensation, you did what was best for you and yours and did not let this whole fiasco steal your joy.

About Crystal Cabinets-- I have been helping friends, who are putting in a new kitchen, with research on different cabinet lines. Being from Minnesota, I had heard such great things about Crystal Cabinets, so my friend and I were excited to check them out. "Were" being the operative word. They have been crossed off the list.

sfong06 thanked shelayne
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

In the end, you did end up with a very beautiful kitchen. I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

sfong06 thanked funkycamper
  • beth09
    8 years ago

sfong, you did end up with a lovely kitchen. May you cook in it in good health. ;)

I echo mabsy in also wanting to hear your appliance choices. :)

sfong06 thanked beth09
  • sfong06
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beth, my list of appliances are listed in the post just before my photos in case you missed it. I choose my range (Bluestar Platinum) after reading many posts here on GardenWeb. I would have never discovered this range except for the many positive reviews and discussions in this forum. I am extremely happy with my choice of appliances especially the range and the Wolf Convection Microwave which continues to amaze me with its versatility and great functionality. The convection steam oven gets all of my baking jobs so far as it is plenty big enough except when we cook for large parties. It heats up to full temperature in under 5 minutes, reheats left overs like a champ and is especially great for reviving old, seamingly stale french bread. Like many others have noted, the Bluestar ovens, while huge, take 20-25 minutes to pre-heat. The Bosch dishwasher is awesome with no pre-rinsing needed. It is so quiet that we often find ourselves wondering what that slight sound was when it is running, only to realize that it is the dishwasher. The Venta-hood is awesome at removing cooking fumes even with my 18" wok smoking up a storm. The fan noise is very manageable even on high.

• beth09
    8 years ago

I did miss the list sfong, thanks!

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen. I love the copper hood. Great coffee bar. I'm glad you are finally able to enjoy it.

• audreydogalus
    7 years ago

Yikes, another potential customer who just stumbled on this. Am planning on painted cabinets, was going to splurge on Crystal despite the higher cost, now they are off the list. Shocked at the lack of interest or response from the company.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

In fairness, it seems like the QC disasters are limited to the paint shop. (The paint shop management needs to go) Other than the bench base being made 1/2" deep.

So maybe Crystal's stained hardwood game is still on point.

Casey

• sfong06
    Original Author
    7 years ago

PM sent.

• ghostlyvision
    7 years ago

How are the cabinets holding up, sfong?

• User
    7 years ago

We have recently installed Crystal Cabinets in our remodel in Pacifica, mid 2016, finishing last details now. Our cabinets are Cherry Shaker. We had all the same issues. Dings, dents, edging sanded almost all of the way off, every shelf damaged. 1/2 of the replacement shelves damaged. Cabinets out of square, improperly placed doors and hinges, and more. Ordered some finished side panels that look like door panels. 2 okay. Added a third one, arrived a few weeks ago, opened today. The entire thing was broken and in pieces in the box, wrapped in protective foam paper. How any of this stuff is getting out of the factory and passing inspection is beyond me. I have been remodeling and working in the building trades for 4 decades. I have seen better quality base Diamond Cabinets with well less quality control problems of these "custom" Crystal Cabinets. I highly do not recommend these cabinets.

• PRO
    Crystal Cabinets
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A Crystal representative did visit this project in Pacifica and responded to the warranty claim. One additional item is currently on order due to the damage that occurred during transit.

• divadly
    6 years ago

Well, I know the original post is quite old but I'm planning for a Kitchen renovation and am researching cabinets. I just read this entire post. Needless to say, Crystal is OFF my list! Thanks fr posting your experience, sfong06.

sfong06 thanked divadly
  • peggyjaegeer
    6 years ago

I sell Crystal cabinets and have not experienced any of the issues this person has commented on. Knowing the process it sounds to me like the person selling the cabinets did not do their job. Crystal only makes what the cabinet dealer tells them to. If sides were not finished most likely that was a dealer who did not write the order correctly. If you are considering Crystal cabinets I would highly recommend them. Please make sure you have a good referral for the dealer you purchase from.

• sfong06
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Peggy, If you read the entire post, you would see that many of the issues have nothing to do with ordering errors. Sure there were some ordering errors, but the quality issues are not ordering problems. I think the photos speak for themselves. There is really no commentary needed in regards to the photos of the quality control problems.

• sfong06
    Original Author
    6 years ago

In response to the question about how the cabinets are holding up. I really like the quality of the cabinet hardware and general construction. The paint on the other hand is super thin and wearing thru on many edges, despite very gentle use. I would strongly advise against buying the painted cabinets unless you don't mind paint wear through.

• peggyjaegeer
    6 years ago

In my process the end user never speaks to Crystal directly so your comments sound out of line.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hahaha, thanks for the reply Crystal, but no thanks. I ordered an new finished side panel, and instead of them sending me one that matched the two finished end panels on the island, they sent me one with the stiles and rails reversed, so to say. I installed it, but it is bugging me more and more every day. And the cabinet over the refrigerator is seriously out of square, And there are many finish details that we are noticing now that are just poor craftsmanship, such as the finished side panels of the upper cabinets having a small lighter colored band at the bottoms where the under panel is. Seems the under panel shows at the bottom of the side panel, and it should not be that way.

There are many small issues, but I just got tired of dealing with all of this, but I think I am going to pick the ball up on this again. Needless to say, I STILL DO NOT RECOMMEND CRYSTAL CABINETS!

• wnutley
    6 years ago
    I have to say we had Crystal Cabinets installed throughout our new build last year and we are impressed. They look great and function well. Our builder was also impressed with the quality and ease of installing them. They are not painted as I felt paint would not hold up long term no matter what company we chose.
  • Lisa 902
    6 years ago

This thread just saved me from visiting a Crystal showroom. I have a list of places to visit, with addresses, and I literally just crossed off Crystal with a notation "quality issues - co. nonresponsive and argumentative."

sfong06 thanked Lisa 902
  • Rob Hunt
    6 years ago

Another prospective Crystal customer just went in another direction. Thanks to OP and others for sharing, and to Crystal reps for confirming their POV.

• User
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, Crystal is very unresponsive to legitimate complaints, and is more interested in defending their honor than reaching an agreement with customers they have wronged. My guess is they are living fat off of real estate developers at this point in time, and when that dries up, folks like us will no longer be interested in their product. Too bad! Crystal, if I am wrong, please correct me, along with relevant sales statistics.

Thanks folks, and at this point, I still cannot recommend Crystal to anyone. If they wish to make right what they have wronged on our project, I would reconsider, but all I see is excuses in the public realm!

Crystal, I can be reached at mrmcc1255@yahoo.com. Spam artists, don't even think about it!

• baoh
    6 years ago

Wow! I stumbled on this thread. Thank you for sharing your experience with Crystal. So disappointing! I will be crossing them off my list.

sfong06 thanked baoh
  • Kendrah
    6 years ago

Ugh. Just had a lovely consult today with a designer who uses Crystal. I guess I will cross the KD off my list. There is no way I want to use Crystal after reading about the myriad errors here from multiple users. Crystal's response on this thread is laughable. When they don't even care enough to show a good face on here and rectify this person's problems if not just for good PR, you know the situation is hopeless.

sfong06 thanked Kendrah
  • Anon Username
    6 years ago

Add me to the list of folks very disappointed by Crystal's response to this thread.

sfong06 thanked Anon Username
  • PRO
    Crystal Cabinets
    6 years ago

Thank you for your comments on this thread, we are sorry to hear that your cabinetry purchase decision is being made based upon the information that was shared. If you would like to speak with someone directly from Crystal, we would be happy to help you learn more about our company and the cabinetry we produce. Please send us a direct message via the “contact us” button on our Houzz page. https://www.houzz.com/pro/crystalcabinets/crystal-cabinets

• Russ Barnard
    6 years ago

That is actually a good response. I think any time a company reaches out to help, they deserve a chance. Remember, while there are a LOT of posts about many companies on here, you rarely hear the good, but almost always hear the bad.

I would say, most companies, Crystal included, deserve a look. Just get everything in writing, timelines, expectations, recommendations... NOTHING verbal. Then, hold people to what they agree to and you will be safe.

Many bad comments are simply one side of the story. Look at what you like, then buy based upon what is written.

Good luck!

Russ

• beth09
    6 years ago

So I got a notification of a message from Crystal to this thread, but now it's gone. Crystal, if you didn't intentionally take it down, please repeat it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to finally hear from you....

This was the beginning:

"Thank you for your comments on this thread, we are sorry to hear that your cabinetry purchase decision is being made based upon the information that w..."

• Russ Barnard
    6 years ago

Yea, I thought it was a nice response, actually.

• beth09
    6 years ago

What suzanne said.

Crystal has had every chance in the world to respond, for over a YEAR. It never should have gotten to the point it did. Period. Where was the "nice response" for sfong?

sfong06 thanked beth09
  • Russ Barnard
    6 years ago

Oh, not defending them in the slightest, was just bored and saw them come on so.. heh

Either way, lots of bad experiences.. not sure how many are the cabinets or the installers as, honestly, I do not read all of them as I do not have them, nor have I used them.. heh.

BUT... that being said.

They deleted their message. guess that is a moot point :P

By the way, I do not work for, nor do I even know jack about Crystal. I was bored and trying to be nice.. which is unlike me.. lol

I am much better now... :P

R

• javiwa
    6 years ago

@beth09: I don't have time to backtrack my thread about Showplace here; but when Showplace initially replied directly to me about the issues I'd experienced, Houzz/GW immediately took it down (I thought I was losing my mind...went back to re-read, and the post was gone). SP told me that Houzz/GW doesn't like it when companies post directly on this forum. I guess it's perceived as being kinda spam-y.

• javiwa
    6 years ago

@suzanne_sl: I'm about at that throw-in-the-towel phase, too. Still need to send a wrap-up to Showplace (holidays got in the way, in addition to knowing that sending another email would dredge up terrible feelings). Whether $50,000-$100,000 or $25,000, it stings badly.

• beth09
    6 years ago

javiwa, thanks for the (possible) explanation. Can't say I totally agree with it, at least not in a situation like this....

• sfong06
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I must have missed Crystals short lived response. For anyone reading his thread, just look at the photos because photos don't lie. You can ignore all the comments because the photos speak for themselves. Just ask yourself if you would be happy with expensive cabinets arriving in this condition lol... Happy new year to all! We have long since moved on to bigger and more pleasant experiences than this disastrous Crystal remodel!

• beth09
    6 years ago

For anyone reading this thread, just look at the photos because photos don't lie.

Indeed. And, as far as the PTB possibly removing posts, even if they did/do, IF the offending company would make things right, I am quite sure most (if not all) wronged customers would come back to update. I don't see that here.

• Russ Barnard
    6 years ago

Yes, look at the photos.. and don't be hating on the guy that was trying to be po-lite!.. (snicker)...I have no dog in this race, was just trying to post and be po-lite....yep..

(pokes beth).. lol

;)

R

• shaunamavon
    5 years ago

I know this thread is old but I read it all with interest. Our home was finished at the end of 1999(we purchased it in 2004). All the cabinetry(kitchen, breakfast nook, family room, four full bathrooms) is white Crystal MDF the drawers are maple. We were told that it was very high end cabinetry. At the time of purchase, we noticed cracking along the edges of the raised panels, as well as chips at the corners of the toe kicks. The damage was worse near areas that had contact with water especially around the kitchen sink. The Crystal rep came out and reordered replacement doors. Our laundry room has no problems and has HD quality cabinets! Fast forward many years....we continued to have issues. All replaced doors(replaced many times) continue to have the same issues. They come from the factory with less than perfect paint coverage. I have decided that the edges are too sharp and do not get covered with adequate paint. Once they crack, the moisture gets in and the MDF material swells. I have always liked the function of the interior of my cabinets but the MDF coated panels and trim is horrible. It will be time soon for a new kitchen and I would never get white painted cabinets from Crystal!

• Liz Kipp
    5 years ago

Crystal Cabinets have shotty work and DEPLORABLE Customer Service! Di Caruso is the person who I had to deal with and she really needs to consider a new profession

Almost every single cabinet has an issue. After I sent this to them I was told I must be severely abusing the cabinets! What the heck does that mean???? There are more photos but I think you all get the point! Stay far far away from crystal cabinets

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

Wow....that will really make me second guess MDF. Or especially ones with such a square edge profile. You'll always have more chips at a squared profile...it's the nature of the beast..but that swelling? That is not good! Maybe some pros here who are more familiar with an all MDF product can chime in. I've only done one...a slab painted doorstyle with P&F and knock on wood, haven't heard a peep out of my clients in years, so all must be good. And they were probably the most picky client l've ever had in 35 years. Their slab doors had a more rounded edge though. So maybe that's the difference.

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the OP and the 4 additional Crystal Cabinets customers who explained in detail their severe quality issues and the difficulty in receiving timely replacements for this expensive line of cabinetry. In addition, the comments left intermittently by someone claiming to represent Crystal's customer service department demonstrate a resounding silence in taking any responsibility for the phase-one quality control issues where these problems originated nor has this representative made any statement that the company's manufacturing processes are being corrected to prevent such issues in the future. To say only that the company is aware of issues and is responding to each one in the face of such unacceptable and repeated failures with multiple independent customers is more than enough for me to add my name to the list of previous posters who have crossed off this company from consideration due to this thread. Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this valuable warning.

• mlee94707
    4 years ago

I also unhappy with their cabinets. There are numerous defects like the ones depicted in photos below.

• shaunamavon
    4 years ago

I just saw a new comment on this old thread about Crystal white painted cabinets. My previous comment said last year but I believe I posted it almost 2 years ago because we had the integrated braided hose on our kitchen faucet (a Rohl that had just been replaced 3 years earlier under a recall) burst and flood our kitchen in July 2018 shortly after my post. All of our cabinets had to be torn out because the water caused swelling due to the cracks in the MDF baseboards, doors, and base cabinets. I have yet to rebuild the kitchen as at the time I was busy caring for my husband who had been diagnosed with ALS. He passed away last year and I was just going to start the project when the pandemic hit! Needless to say I will not be putting in Crystal cabinets! I do have to say the rep that helped me when we first had issues (after we moved into our house in 2004) was very nice and helpful. I believe that the problem with the painted doors could not be fixed however because I believe the product is faulty!

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

@shaunamavon What a difficult time for you! I hope insurance covers a large part of this for you and that things go smoothly. I care for a paralyzed family member at home and deeply sympathize with your journey.

• Lynn Luiz
    3 years ago

Add me to the people who are totally UNSATISFIED with Crystal Cabinets and their customer service. The representative that came to our house vaguely admitted to receiving a few other complaints. Well, looking at the pictures from other posts there are a lot more than a few customers dissatisfied with their product.

• joycemedina
    3 years ago

Thank you! You saved me.

• okthisisit
    3 years ago

I am really sorry that we went with Crystal. I suspect that I will have to live with the cracked cabinets. I am hiring a carpenter to try to paint in the cracks to make them less visible. No one should every buy Crystal Cabinets.