Software
Houzz Logo Print
joeandkatyt

Blue metal roof! Need exterior advice!

11 years ago
We are completely gutting this house and redoing the entire exterior facade. This is the siding we added but have not painted. The roof is Panel-loc Plus in "Gallery Blue" color. I was thinking we would paint the siding white but would love any suggestions! Also looking for advice on shutters and front door/porch. Thanks!

Comments (36)

  • 11 years ago

    I agree. White would be lovely & charcoal trim

    Katy Tillotson thanked Dar Eckert
  • 11 years ago
    I would do forest green with a gray/blue trim and then door with charcoal
    Katy Tillotson thanked Ann Miller
  • 11 years ago

    white would work very well.

    Katy Tillotson thanked Danielle B
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you all! I think we are settling on white siding. I do love the idea of charcoal trim and blue door- hadn't thought of either of those. Struggling a bit with shutters. I think black but my husband thinks none as our upper and lower windows are different sizes. Also now wondering whether the white siding will work for al of the house as we have a large side building that will have three large glass garage doors (encloses a pool). I think siding may be too traditional with the industrial look of the garage doors. Any ideas? So appreciate the input!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago


    We have the exact same color on our metal roof. Initially when we built, we installed a light grey siding (Hardie Plank), which deteriorated so needed replacing. We switched to natural color cedar shakes and I think it looks very nice, especially for our waterfront home. This is the photo with the original light grey Hardie Plank siding on.

    Katy Tillotson thanked carolann_b26
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago




    We have a blue metal roof although our home is a one story ranch. Our siding is a medium/light gray and the trim on windows are white. We chose a full view storm door with black trim and a white door. We've been told it is very attractive and of couse, we think so also. We live on a lake and there's no one else's home similiar. I should mention that our siding is vinyl. I will try to send a picture of the entry way we had built. Again, because our's is a one story ranch, it may not meet the needs of yours.

  • 11 years ago
    I am thrilled to have comments from others with blue metal roofs! We have had some moments of panic as to whether we made the right choice but I think when all is done it will be great! We also live on a lake but our house will be VERY different from our neighbors. The house pics included in the last comment are lovely and reassuring! :) Thanks for sharing.
  • 11 years ago

    Notta blue person at all, but I seem to just LOVE blue roofs, soooo really pretty. I too want a metal roof, a dark brown/bronze one. Due to hail, ours was recently evaluated by an independent contractor...hassa 'nother three to five years more left even though it's quite old. I'd do grey or even a different blue for your home and maybe a red or purple door. Just not into the white, but we're all different.

  • 11 years ago

    We have a large manufactured home (28x72) and we installed a medium blue metal roof on it when we first moved in 2 years ago (right over the existing roof, adding a layer of insulation and extending the soffits out a foot to avoid ice dams). Last year we had the same company install new insulated metal skirting in the same color. We also built an attached insulated metal shed in the back yard for our water system and a freestanding pole barn garage, both with the same color blue roofs (same company -- Amish/Mennonite and they are hard workers -- they got a lot of our business with all these projects and we've been thrilled with the results). The house is grey but needs new siding, and when we built the garage we didn't like the shades of grey they had, so we chose a cream color, and will probably do the siding for the house in that color when we get to that. I think the blue/cream combo is great but I also love the blue and the grey together and would have chosen that if the available grey colors for the garage had been different. I love our roof and skirting and the garage. I don't think the difference in wall colors between the house and the garage is a problem since the roof color is the same and kind of ties it together. Our house is hidden from the road so I'm not concerned with what anyone else thinks anyway.

    Hope you find what works for you. White goes with anything but so does the cream color and they are both neutral enough that any trim color would go.

    Katy Tillotson thanked hsmeghan
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    sounds like you may have already settled, but I suggest you consider a soft yellow or a buttery cream color. It will bring more color to the house while still feeling like a white. I didn't notice your location/climate, but white disappears or looks grey in winter up North.

    Katy Tillotson thanked GreenThumb Gardens
  • 11 years ago




    Katy Tillotson thanked Christina Tincher
  • 11 years ago

    Our foursquare has a blue metal roof. Since we went with Anderson terratone windows we also did the trim around windows in that color (sort of a dark gray brown) and then we have a red door. It is very nice. I like just white.

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks so much for the ideas everyone and especially the pics. I will consider cream and we are a ways away from painting so still have some time. Here is update from today! Not painted.
  • 11 years ago

    If you haven't already painted consider solid stain instead. It just wears off so doesn't require scraping when it's time to recoat.

    Katy Tillotson thanked Lila
  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful blue roof! Yes, do paint the siding white, that will look wonderful with the blue roof.

    Katy Tillotson thanked diyer59
  • 11 years ago

    I love the white paint/charcoal trim suggestion. About the windows, what about shutters on the top windows and flower boxes on the lower ones?

    Katy Tillotson thanked countrygirl1291
  • 11 years ago

    I saw a lovely house with the same roof in Chevy Chase, DC, painted apricot

    Katy Tillotson thanked kkl5
  • 11 years ago

    I'd be careful about the shutters. If you do the trim right, they aren't necessary. If you still want them, limit them only to the smaller windows up top where each shutter is one half the width of the window. Will you be replacing the windows as well?

    Katy Tillotson thanked tsaunders3
  • 11 years ago

    Yes we are replacing windows as well. We just installed them on a different area of the home and I'll attach a pic. After logging in on a desktop and seeing these pictures more clearly I do love the cream in Christina's picture. The shitter suggestions are very appreciated. We've never done shutters before so that part is new for us.

  • 11 years ago
    Here are the windows we choose. This is obviously a separate area of the house.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    i would paint the siding in a darker color like a midnight gray blue.

    this would look great and minimize the blue roof.

    i never have my roofs a focal point.

  • 11 years ago
    I would go with a tan or butercream.
  • 11 years ago

    a yellow buttercream gets my vote

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would do window boxes not shutters. I hate shutters personally.
  • 11 years ago
    I think the apricot sounds much more interesting. Maybe dark brown trim and a darker apricot or darker blue door. Some big squarish black lanterns on either side of the door would look really good too
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago


    White is boring. Go with a cheery warm colour on the walls, and a darker shade of the roof for your accent colours. Attached is a home we built for a client (they did their deck this year), but not really that useful reference? LOL

  • 11 years ago
    Paul, I actually love that! No going back on the roof- it is up! However, paint experimenting starts next week so I'll post update. Intrigued by all the apricot suggestions. Not really my thing but will try white, buttercream and now maybe a stain.
  • 11 years ago

    Definitely going with white siding. Picking white today for painters. Any particular white color suggestions welcome! Also, we are adding three windows on top and have decided to do double doors for entry. Will post updated pics when available! Thanks for all the suggestions and help! :) Thinking black shutters (smaller on top, larger on bottom), may leave shutters off, can't do flower boxes because I can't keep vegetation alive :) , probably black doors, and large black sconces on either side. Maybe gray trim. What about soffit color?

  • 11 years ago
    Painted!
  • 11 years ago
    Different building but shows what it looks like next to the roof. Making progress!
  • 11 years ago

    Looks like Greece!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I like white for the siding

  • 10 years ago
    We still have quite a ways to go but we chose white and here is how it is now in the middle of more transformation...
  • 10 years ago
    We still have quite a ways to go but we chose white and here is how it is now in the middle of more transformation...
  • 5 years ago

    Hi guys! I know this post is several years old but I figured I’d try to get some insight from you all. We just bought a fixer upper. It sits on a lake and we have a pool. The house came with a blue metal roof. We want to keep it blue as we feel it adds charm and makes us the most unique home in the neighborhood. We are thinking of going with a bright blue and warm gray color for the house with white trim. We have also danced around not keeping the roof blue at all and going with a dark charcoal gray. What are your thoughts?