Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbillips

Help choosing vinyl siding for my Cape Cod Style home

tbillips
8 years ago

This Fall I will be getting new vinyl siding on my Cape Cod style home. As excited about this as I am, I'm also anxious. I know whatever choices I make I will be living with daily as long as we own the home (which will be a long time). This is my one-time shot at getting it right. I plan to stay with the gray since all my fencing and pavers were installed to coordinate with gray, but I need to add some curb appeal. I'm a fan of the tone-on-tone that we currently have but need to add some architectural detail or pop. Budget is a concern, I don't plan to try and do it "on the cheap" but don't have a "sky's the limit" budget either. I want to spend the money to get the biggest bang for my buck to add interest and curb appeal. I was thinking about light gray siding, shake shingles on dormers and putting a transition at eves on sides of both house and garage with shakes above and regular siding below. In small courtyard on side I was thinking stone and maybe stone halfway up garage with either regular siding or shakes above. Thanks in advance comments. I could also use any suggestions on a program that would let upload pictures and see different options.

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

What a shame to put vinyl siding on such a lovely home. Did you check into hardie plank it costs more but it looks so much better than plastic and is much more fire retardant

tbillips thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • miacometlady
    8 years ago
    If this is a one time shot and a lifetime choice, I'd forego any change until you can afford something higher end than vinyl. What is there now...?
  • dapperdannybaseball
    8 years ago
    Sorry I agree with no vinyl. It is cheap. Steel siding is a much better option.
  • ocotillaks
    8 years ago

I have cheap vinyl siding on my 1928 Bungalow Farmhouse and despise it. The vinyl already has holes in from hail. If I have the chance, I will opt for Hardiboard.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I too live in cheap vinyl *hanging head*. I will upgrade too when I redo;)

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Don't go with vinyl siding!! My husband is a career firefighter and here's what he told me about it: if you have a house fire, the fire will burn hotter as the vinyl prevents the heat from the fire from escaping as in a regular fire so you'll have a lot more damage. Because vinyl is a petroleum product, the smoke from a house fire is far, far more toxic than regular house fire smoke so if you're caught in the fire, your chances of dying of smoke inhalation are very high. Should there is a wild fire and the flames get near your home, the vinyl siding will melt with about 5 minutes.

• miacometlady
    8 years ago

We talked about this before and my firefighter says they cringe when they hear it is a house fire with vinyl. I saw a house with a garage fire... down the street... and yes... I watched the vinyl melt before me eyes!

• tbillips
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for the comments. I'd love to change to Hardiboard or a similar product but it is an insurance replacement from hail damage. I have to replace with vinyl. This vinyl has held up well, it's been on the house almost 40 years. I don't plan to go with cheap vinyl. I hate the look of most vinyl but the edge profile can make a world of difference. I can make upgrades and add ons as long as I pay the difference which is what I'm planning.
  • tbillips
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here's what I finally went with
  • tbillips
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I love the stone that was added. We're still waiting for the block foundation to be covered with the same stone.
  • L Illian
    8 years ago
    Looks great. Can you tell me about what you did with the trim so make it look richer?
  • Bev
    8 years ago

I like the stone that was added to the house. Looks Great!

• tbillips
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lana, all corners of the house have 6" white fluted corners (they're a vinyl product sold as an upgrade to the normal corners) and we added window piedmonts to lower front windows. the trim between the shake & normal siding is 6" white aluminum.
  • rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    That looks great! Good job.
  • Gloria H.
    8 years ago
    I have had James Hardie in two homes and like it. But you can goggle LP SmartSide that a lot of people are using now.

Siding Replacement Wars: James Hardie vs. LP SmartSide in a Battle for Contractors, Builders, and You
  • Gloria H.
    8 years ago
    Sorry didn't see the old dates. Your house looks great.
  • Kylie
    5 years ago
    Hi. I was wondering what color and brand Grey siding you went with. Thanks
  • tbillips
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Granite gray is the color. Here's pictures of the product labels.
  • Emily
    2 years ago

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.