Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmorsino

Silgranit or fireclay sink?

dmorsino
8 years ago
We are doing a full kitchen remodel gutting everything. I can't decide between an Fireclay apron front sink or a Silgranit. I see that prices really vary widely with the Fireclay. Does brand matter? What should I consider? The reason I'm considering the Silgranit is because our family is clumsy and I'm worried about the Fireclay cracking or chipping. Any advice?

Comments (33)

• Carolyn
    8 years ago

I have the same exact dilemma; will be watching to see any suggestions! :)

• karemore55
    8 years ago
    I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I have had a silgranit sink for three years now and just love it. I love that it is "softer" than SS, and doesn't sound so clunky when rinsing dishes. It cleans easily as well (microfibre cloth - no scouring).

Having said that, I can't yet attest to its durability, since it's only been three years. And, I have no experience with fireclay sinks to compare.

I hope more people weigh in with a little more data for you - good luck to you both (OP and first commenter)!
  • carolt924
    8 years ago

I also have a silgranit sink for going on three years. No regrets, love the color, ease of cleaning, a little bar keepers friend and your done.

• Ariel Palmieri
    7 years ago

What did you decide? I am now faced with this decision. Thanks!

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Ariel - Look at the Kohler Whitehaven cast iron apron front sink - easier to install and more durable than fireclay. I love mine.

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    7 years ago

Ariel, both are great choices, but if you want the full scoop we recently did a blog post on fireclay sinks that will be really helpful: https://www.qualitybath.com/discover/post/14533/fireclay-sinks-everything-you-need-to-know

We're doing a post on granite and silgranit sinks that's going up at the end of April, so you can look out for that one as well. If you have any questions, fire away! Best of luck with your decision!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"and the most heat- and damage-resistant sink material available."

Really?

Let's line up a fireclay, stainless, acrylic, copper, and quartz sink, then drop a cast iron skillet onto the center divider and see what happens.

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    7 years ago

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the
    response!

It is true that
    fireclay can chip, but stainless can dent, quartz and acrylic can chip and
    crack, copper is sensitive to acid and can also dent...

According to
    Houzz, "This means that the nonporous
    material, in addition to being easily cleanable, is almost impossible to
    scratch, dent or crack, making it great for sinks that see a lot of rough
    action." - [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-sinks-fireclay-brims-with-heavy-duty-character-stsetivw-vs~8054503[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-sinks-fireclay-brims-with-heavy-duty-character-stsetivw-vs~8054503)

If you've
    experienced otherwise we'd love to hear it, we always strive to provide the
    most accurate information and advice.

• Marcia Putnam
    6 years ago

I just cannot decide between the silgranit ikon or the shaws.....I stand in front of the shaws and am in love, but I cook ALOT and work from my kitchen.....so probably the ikon

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Marcia,

Here are our buying guides on fireclay sinks and granite sinks. Hope the information we gathered will help shed some light!

• Ariel Palmieri
    6 years ago

I have the Blanco fireclay sink in white. It was installed in June. We are absolutely thrilled with it!

• Ariel Palmieri
    6 years ago

(Unfortunately, this photo is uploading oddly.)

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    6 years ago

So glad you're enjoying your sink, Ariel :) Thanks for the feedback!

• Jennifer Young
    3 years ago

April, how is your sink holding up?? I am looking at fireclay sinks also. I don't know of anyone else who has one and the place we purchase from has no experience with fireclay either so they are pushing the composite sink. I just love how fireclay is so classic.

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    3 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

While you wait for April to respond, we've sold many fireclay and composite kitchen sinks. I'd be to answer any questions you may have.

• Jennifer Young
    3 years ago

I read in one article the fire clay isn’t good If you have a garbage disposal. they can crack easier??

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A garbage disposal should not affect the integrity of a well made fireclay sink.

Just note that depending on the thickness of the sink you might need an extended flange for the garbage disposal.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

It is good practice to abrade the drain opening in a composite or an acrylic sink to smooth before installing a disposal flange. The come with sharp edges; you want to eliminate the micro fractures that can become cracks.

• PRO
    Sea and Pine Interior Design
    3 years ago

I have installed three Silgranit sinks from Blanco in white. After 3-5 years under mild use they are starting to pock mark. Not sure if it's the resin is breaking up in the material. They clean up beautifully and are softer on the noise front. They are also in a nice price range. My rep shared that they would out perform fireclay, but from first hand experience, I have found this not to be true.

My Kohler fireclay sink in white is 30 years old and is as good as the day I purchased it. The sink does get marked after scrubbing with pans, but cleans up well with Bar Keepers. It has never etched or chipped. My husband and I are avid cooks, have large families that we entertain and have raised a cooking family + have had every animal under the sun and the sink is still holding up.

As a designer I would recommend the decision should be based on use. If you don't cook alot, want a colored sink, or want to use in a second home environment then this Silgranit sink might be a nice option. With regard to the disposal install use, I have had no issues with either product.

• Rhonda Osterman Hamilton
    2 years ago

My silgranit sink cracked also

• Carolyn
    2 years ago

Update: 6 years later and my Blanco fireclay sink is still as beautiful as the day we installed it! It has never chipped or scratched with heavy use. I absolutely love it! I also got the metal grate for bottom and love that too! It looks so nice and you can tell I spent money on my kitchen!

• HU-7494527734
    2 years ago

I'm interested in a double bowl, undermount fireclay sink - NOT a farmhouse sink. The options seem to be very limited. Any leads or thoughts?

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    2 years ago

@HU-7494527734 what size sink are you looking for? Many apron front sinks can be undermounted as well

• HU-7494527734
    2 years ago

i don’t care for the apron front of the farmhouse sink. But about 33” or less

• PRO
  • HU-7494527734
    2 years ago

Thank you for the recommendations

• HU-7494527734
    2 years ago

The first recommendation is priced too high for me. Are there any other options?

• HU-7494527734
    2 years ago

Thanks! I have this same sink on my short list!

• PRO
    last year

I’ve installed many of theses. Be aware KOHLER is superior to Blanco as a KOHLER sink can absorb up to 750 degrees of heat and Blanco can accept up to 550 degrees. If you were to take a broiling hot pan and placed in the Blanco sink, note you could get nicks due to the resin pieces melting and popping out.

I’ve had this happen.

Dasha

• karemore55
    last year

Sea and Pine Design, that is good to know. My current sink is Blanco but I’ll go with Koehler next time. I do have some pitting along the ridge that divides the two sinks and I’m guessing it’s from resting hot pans on it while I’m rinsing them out.

• PRO
    last year

Yes, this is what I have found to be true.