Software
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

This Means War

I've about had it and am ready to eradicate a whole species.

There are a few vegetables that I absolutely need each year that are not readily available in groceries in my area. Shiso is at the top of the list and it is, without fail, always my most prolific planting.

Until this year.

New house, new yard--new creatures.

And I've just had it with these guys. I have religiously used iron sulfate pellets but am ready to go back to metaldehyde if I have to, presuming these are slugs. I thought they were slugs, and the pellets have really cleared my yard of snails, but I know my beer traps have also caught slugs though I never seen one until they're In the traps. I've come out here at night, before midnight, and nothing is on them that I can tell.

I have whole sections of my densely planted microgreens (arugula in this case) gone overnight. My Korean bunching onions --seedling pops up one day and gone the next day. Chrysanthemums, gone before the second leaves...if I even see the first leaves. I'd show you but there's nothing to show.

These are not seeds or veggies new to me as I use all for cooking extensively each year. I built this raised bed just a month ago to plant these seedlings or seeds here --- PRISTINE SEEDLINGS, I might add....the soil is just garden soil purchased that I have heavily amended with worm castings and composted manure blend--both stuff I've used before.

Can anyone confirm this is slug damage? Or is it something else? And how do I get rid of it--what kind of poison that won't be harmful to people when we harvest and use the leaves? And where is it living that I can't find them?

Whatever it is, it's not on the plant come morning and I've no idea what time they come out for their free dinners. They don't appear to be affecting any of my other edibles in the garden that are in pots or in the ground, at least not to a noticeable effect.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer. I really try to stay as organic as possible with my in-ground edibles but I've reached my limit.

Grace


Comments (7)

  • 11 years ago

    the folks in the hosta forum have all kinds of slug remedies ... and you could start in that forums FAQs ....


    i also believe.. you might find a couple million posts on slugs.. using the GW search engine above ...


    one thing for sure.. if you suspect slugs.. you take a flashlight.. and go look at night ... you arent going to find them during the day ... report back ...


    last pic just above dead center... that is not slug damage ...


    ken

  • 11 years ago

    Ken, it'd help if I knew what it was before reading thousands of posts on anything. I've come out here on many nights looking and have yet to spot a wretched thing.

    But I can put out slug baits by the millions and if they aren't slugs, well.... Lol

  • 11 years ago

    Some of the damage does look like Slug/Snail damage while some looks like something one of several leaf eating beetles might do. Not all of the thingys that munch on plant leaves stay put for us to find as the Japanese Beetles do.

    kimmq is kimmsr

  • 11 years ago

    Kimm,

    i just moved them last night. Granted, it's not far away (just 15 feet away in the ground) but overnight, no new damage appears to have been done. I think I had, at best, a few days left before it was all gone, and it was just as well, since this new spot gets more sun, bordering on more sun that I like on shiso. Left the arugula since I'll be harvesting them soon anyway.

    I have never been this tormented by critters as I am this year at my new yard. I'm not sure what it is about this yard! Hornworms, slugs, snails and even mealies ---all but the usual aphids I do get....which reminds me, I haven't even seen one this summer. I'm growing all the usual suspects so it's nothing different from any other year. So many butterflies (so I probably have caterpillars too somewhere) and hummingbirds, too...how wonderful it would be if there was some symbiotic eating going on and the birds are the bugs.

    Back to looking for the hornworms....ugh.


    Grace

  • 11 years ago

    FWIW, pill bugs eat my lettuce sprouts every time.

    Don't lose hope on the pest situation. In order for beneficials to show up, there first must be something for them to eat. Sounds like predators of aphids in particular have established in your garden. Just takes time to achieve balance.

  • 11 years ago

    Slugs/snails and many other similar wee critters need cool, moist environments to live in, especially during the day. Most often you will find rocks and boards listed but mulches also can provide that environment. The same environment, however, can also provide the needed habitat for the predators of these pests.

    kimmq is kimmsr