Software
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Finally tried Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

My kitchen cabinets were painted when I bought my house, so I never had to grapple with the should it / shouldn't I paint the wood question. I DID have to deal with the paint getting shabbier as the years wore on. Originally, they were all the same color, shown in the uppers here.

Before:

We really liked the darker brown. but we did no prep and while it held up pretty well, the wear of a whole family over the course of five or so years had it looking pretty shabby again. I actually had been fascinated with the idea of doing Rustoleum Transformations because a. I don't have a ton of time and b. I just wanted someone to tell me what to do step by step. The discussions I had seen here had been really positive as well.

During:

I finally did it, and LOVE how it turned out. There are a few areas that need a little extra attention from me still, but overall, the color is great and the process was really simple. Note that in this photo it's night, so the color isn't exactly as it is during the day and the doors and drawers are slightly propped open while it is still drying a bit. The color is Castle, which is much more of a grey than the blue it looks like in the photo. It pulls the grey out of the limestone counters which then transition nicely to the backsplash and uppers.

After:

Anyway, I'd definitely do it again. In fact, I may use the leftover to do my laundry cabinets sooner than not.

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Emily, glad you had a positive experience.

    If this community management gig gets old I bet there is a future for you in the project side of the industry :)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Congratulations on your results!

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks! Really satisfying. :)

  • 11 years ago
    i would like to know if it holds up better than previous paint you had on them.
  • 11 years ago

    Me too! I definitely ended up with some chips on the old paint. The cabinets themselves are probably from the 70's, then painted at some point. They are great, solid cabinets, so I'd like to get as much out of them as possible.

  • 11 years ago

    Looks great! I am an avid proponent of painting and restoring kitchen cabinets rather than dumping them in a landfill. I have never used this product. Does it include a clear protective topcoat (like Minwax Polycrylic)?

  • 11 years ago

    I'm not sure I've seen this product; I've seen a product that is for 'transforming' a counter top but have heard from some people who tried it that it is difficult to apply and the results aren't always great. This product is specifically for cabinets? How is it different than paint?


  • 11 years ago
    There is a product for countertops and one for cabinets. I've been researching this product and most of the feedback is positive. Most comments are to "follow the directions and drying times". They say it is time consuming, but worth it. I would say that it's much less time and muscle than sanding each cabinet so that's definitely a plus! Your cabinets look great!!
  • 11 years ago

    My kitchen cabinets are starting to show wear and tear and the thought of sanding each one is daunting - I'll look for this product in our local stores. Thanks so much for posting these photos and your comments. I forgot to add that I thought they looked great so you've done a good job.

  • 11 years ago
    I've posted several comments about my use and satisfaction with the product and I'm so glad you tried it and liked it! Your kitchen looks great!
  • 11 years ago

    Oh I love that idea - what was the brand of milk paint. There is a brand that comes from France (and now I cannot remember the name). Sealing it with beeswax and walnut oil seems like a good idea. what color did you use and how long did it take?

  • 11 years ago

    The lower cabinets look great but I have a question, why did you decide not to paint the upper cabinet?

  • 11 years ago
    Wow! Really nice. How do you clean them? Is the coating susceptible to fading from water or cleansers?
  • 11 years ago

    We used this on our bathroom cabinets and it's been terrific. We put this on top of oak cabinets. It's been a couple years now and seems to be holding up well tho it doesn't get the kind of workout kitchen cabinets would.

  • 11 years ago

    Once you have used wax on wood you can never paint again. It will soak through.

  • 11 years ago

    Emily Hurley could you please send me the link of which step-by-step tutorial you used? Thank you

  • 11 years ago

    I've used the product & I agree, the results are great! It was easy. The only thing I did differently was that you get 2 colors of paint, the second one is put a "grain" on the cabinets, kinda like the old "antiquing" from the 80's. I didn't do that, just the main color. And, 21 cylo, yes, there's a clear product to brush on.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    look great!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Good job!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert