Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_18865765

First time gardener squash issue.

11 years ago

Hey all first post and first year gardening. I got some spaghetti squash going and have a few issue first I think I figured out myself with research. This one not sure on. Part of my plant is turning yellow and the foliage in the area thinner than the rest. I'm in northern alberta and it's been a real hot summer alot of days in the high 20's. (That's hot for us at least. ) squash don't seem affected yet and I got a couple pretty big one. Any ideas what the cause is?

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago

    That is the one I figured out. :) the yellowing and thinning is what I'm not sure about. I read online mildew could be taken care by spraying with baking soda and water mixture.


  • 11 years ago

    looks like every squash/pumpkin or gourd i ever grew.. in MI.. in late august ...


    and 68 degrees is a mild spring day in MI ... they look just the same with 90 to 100 degree days in july/august ... its not a heat issue ...


    you might learn a lot in the veg forum ...


    ken


    ps: actually.. when i think about it.. i wonder how you got them to germinate ... or did you start them indoors????

  • 11 years ago

    I guess I should specify I'm in canada and that's degree C not degree F it's about mid 80s

  • 11 years ago

    Besides the Powdery Mildew those squash may have some nutrient deficiencies. What is the soil they are growing in like? Soil pH?

    kimmq is kimmsr

    User thanked kimmq
  • 11 years ago

    i converted your C.. to 68F ... but i didnt see the HIGH part .... cant say much more.. but it doesnt matter ...


    even 80F is not really all that hot ... i just dont think keat is an issue ... thats my point ...


    PM is increased on dank humid nights.. i hope you dont spray down your plants in the evening.. increasing leaf wetness ... if so... you are part of the problem ...


    ever had a soil test done???


    ken

  • 11 years ago

    Ken.

    Sorry I totally missed your reference to my temperature. Which made my comment look rude. That was not my intention. I am completely new to gardening and learning as I go. I have been spraying at night but will stop. I haven't had my soil tested but will look into it. I imagine that is my issue I pretty much just dug up a area of my yard and didn't add anything to the area. I'll check out the veg forum and look for a place to test soil. Thanks for your help an sorry again if I sound rude.

    Trevor

  • 11 years ago

    Sorry I totally missed your reference to my temperature. Which made my comment look rude. That was not my intention.


    ==>>. you are going to have to be a lot worse than that.. to offend me.. lol ..but since you apologized.. i will go further ....


    i used to love coming home from work.. it was very relaxing to water the garden ... then i learned.. just like you ...


    get one of the things at the link... AND WATER THE SOIL ... not the leaves ... therapy.. without recourse ... lol ...


    also ... air movement helps dry things ... an over crowded garden is also a problem .... if you have space.. plant farther apart.. as you learn the potential of the plants ... crikey.. anything the the gourd family ... can take over 10 feet square ... 3 meters square.. in a BAD year.. and double in a good year ...


    you will learn ... dont miss the veg forum ... to learn ...


    and dont let your zucchi get too big ... if you want more to come ... never forget... a plant has one goal.. produce seed .. and when many do.. they stop flowering ... which leads to fruit/veg ... just like you deadhead flowers.. you harvest veg.. to keep the crop coming ...


    all a bunch of generalities ... you can research it out yourself ...


    ken

    https://www.google.com/search?q=water+wand&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMI5dPd5f2mxwIVBlKSCh1yZgHw&biw=870&bih=745&dpr=0.9



  • 11 years ago

    Real old school thoughts about when Powdery Mildew appears. It does not require humid nights and free water on plant leaves can wash the spores off. Perhaps this article might be of some help understanding Powdery Mildew.

    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7406.html

    kimmq is kimmsr

  • 11 years ago

    Actually, rinsing the leaves with a quick pass of the hose can wash PM spores from the leaves. It's one of the methods of control for early infections.

    A serious infection of PM can kill plants, and I suspect that it's the cause of your problems.

    Your 80 plus degree days are not an issue for your squash plants, so that's a good thing. I've never used milk to control this disease, hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in to address that issue.

    The big challenge will be in preventing another occurrence next year!

  • 11 years ago

    My sympathy, Trevor.

    I've been battling the same thing on zucchini plants and got some good ideas from the folks here and also at a farmers' market.

    To control or not get PM in the first place, it seems important to have lots of sunshine and good air circulation (I don't, but my neighbor does and it makes a huge difference from what I've observed).

    I am still getting squash from my zucchini plants and some of the leaves have come back -- that is, new ones emerging from the center of the plant.

    I carefully watered for 20 min. (each plant) with a hose garden wand set on "drip/soaker" mode (1/3 volume). Then I trimmed off all the PM leaves that I could and trash binned them.

    Then I fed each plant (we have lean soil) with a solution (per package) of fish emulsion (into the soil at each plant.

    About a month later at dusk, I sprayed the squash leaves with a solution of NEEM OIL (as per instructions).

    My plants are doing better, although the zukes are still battling PM. I think next year I'll grow them in full sun with a breeze, or get them at a farmers market. I do enjoy going out to my own patch and picking fresh vegetables. There is nothing like it ;) Hang in there and good luck.

  • 11 years ago

    It does not require humid nights and free water on plant leaves can wash the spores off.


    ==>> i didnt say it was a CAUSE ... i said it increases it ...


    good cultural practices.. never hurt anything ...


    stars is winning the battle.. and looking toward better cultural practices next year ...


    but when i start spending money on cures.. for a veg i can get in the store in season for a nickle per ton ... i start to wonder if the battle is worth the cost ...


    old readers digest joke.. the only time they lock their cars in newport RI ... the ultra wealthy ... in zucchi season ... because if you dont.. you will find your back seat full of them when you return.. lol


    and being a newb.. just understand.. that by august.. with fall very near.. things just get ugly ... veg.. flowers.. trees.. etc ... it just not a time to battle things ... and you would have prevented months ago ...


    and part of that equation.. is that the sun is in decline.. so the plants start to decline.. and the days dwindle down.. to a precious few ... see link


    argue with the link.. rhiz and kimmer.. lol ...


    ken

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7810J78TmbU


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Funny, Ken.

    CARTOON IDEA #4,888:

    Garden rows of sprawling, ratty, moth-eaten squash leaves, old geezer frowning and looking concerned. In the background (or panel 2) can be seen shelves of various garden aid concoctions with mayo bottles re-labeled "ant feet and milk for squash Rx" and so on.

    Next panel, spouse arriving home w groceries -- fresh, shiny squash peeking out of a paper bag, a grocery store flyer sticks out from under arm, "ZUCCHINI 20 cents each."

  • 11 years ago

    Trevor, I agree with the use of neem oil for the prevention AND control of PM. Try to find a cooler, maybe overcast day to spray.

  • 11 years ago

    trevors plants will be near dead to the ground in 45 days .. why waste the neem???.. the effort.. etc ... end of sept ...


    i like the 20 cent zucchi cartoon idea ...


    ken

  • 11 years ago
    Hey all. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep it all in mind. I only have a pair of plants and 6 squashes. they are turning yellow already so might just ride it out and if they don't get the chance to cure. I'll just eat spaghetti for a week strait.:)
  • 11 years ago

    you should harvest before they turn yellow ...


    and once you do harvest... removal is not a bad idea ...


    just remember.. you are very low on the learning curve.. and you learned a lot ... good enough for this year ..


    ken

  • 11 years ago
    Should I harvest before the fruit it self turns yellow? I've learned alot this year and I thank you for the advice. need to study dirt this winter and in spring do some better prep work.
  • 11 years ago

    someone above told you size .. harvest anywhere from finger sized ... to large...


    but dont let them go yellow .. you will probably find too many seed ... they are verging on overly mature ... w/o a pic of course ...


    i dont get your spagehetti comment... i thought these were zucchi ... not spaghetti squash ..... // saute in butter... bake .. etc ... or treat like a cuke and lay them in some vinegar to make a pickle .. little dill if you have it.. and a few hours ... but alas.. this isnt a cooking forum ... you are officially .. on your own ... in that regard ...


    though they all grow the same.. they have the same problems/challenges ... the fruits.. if that is the right term.. are widely divergent ...


    go harvest the biggest one right now ... AND FIND OUT .... and that will tell you when to do the rest ...


    ken