Software
Houzz Logo Print
chelseyangell

Need Backsplash Help

13 years ago
I have a new kitchen--yea! However, I am having trouble deciding on a backsplash and range hood to tie everything together.

The granite is Kashmir White and the cabinets are white--not off-white at all. I was thinking a tumbled travertine with grays and beiges, but the samples I brought home looked pretty busy next to the granite. I love subway tile, but the kitchen opens up to a living/dining space, and I was worried the kitchen would look too "sterile" or bathroom-like.

The range hood needs to be ductless, but I thought a wide stainless one would be nice. The range itself is nothing special--but low maintenance with little kids at home.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments (41)

  • 13 years ago
    I don't think subway will have a bathroom look especially if you do it in (one color of) the travertine you like. I also like the longer subway tiles in glass or porcelain - a bit more contemporary.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, how nice! Maybe some kind of tumbled stone or stacked stone, perhaps?

    [houzz=
    Ann Sacks Stone Mosaics · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Athens Silver Cream Stone Tile - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Italian Moscaic Tiles · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    what about these? They're subway tiles, but not the traditional glossy white...much warmer
  • 13 years ago
    I would suggest that whatever you chose tile up to the cabinets and behind the stove. White subway tile would look ok. There are ones that have a crackle type finish on them and look less bathroomy.
    I think a stainless hood would look good.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the idea of either the Ann Sacks Mosaic gray tile shown in AngieDesigns or a light gray subway tile. Neither will look too busy. Good luck
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A clean and simple textured tile in porcelain in random pattern will be more interesting. Add some detail wth glass or stainles steel tiles.
  • 13 years ago
    Ann Sacks is great but very pricey. Go to a good tile store and bring home some samples. Some of the suggestions given already are very good options.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I know this may sound alarming, but you have such little backsplash area, I think you should leave it as is, crisp and clean. Sometimes less is more.
  • 13 years ago
    We are in the process of redoing our kitchen too, very similar to yours, except we used quartz counters and I am having the same problem deciding on a backsplash... I don't want anything too busy but also don't want that sterile feel. Curious to see what you choose :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you like subway tile, how about a soft light gray? You could do it in either porcelain or glass--both would look nice.

    [houzz=
    KitchenLab · More Info
    ]

    Another option is marble. You could do that in a subway tile shape or a smaller mosaic.

    [houzz=
    White Galley Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Two cents more....................................Because your cabinets are true white and the counter tops have a polished, warm personality, I think that your backsplash would be awsome if you can combine both "flavors". In other words, use something with a natural stone look and sprinkle with shine. The black pendants are cool and industrial and since your counter stone has flecks of dark (brown-black) it would be beautiful to mix it up. Even if you keep with a subway style layout look for porcelain or stone cut into subway pieces. Some could be polished and some matt for a little sparkle.
  • 13 years ago
    That sounds great! I thought that the granite would have more cool tones, but there are definitely beige veins running through it. The white cabs almost look stark against it. Is there a specific thing I should ask for? "Porcelain subway" that has shine with variation in color? All of these suggestions sound wonderful!
  • 13 years ago
    We're in Ohio...the tile above is great, but I wonder...will it go out of style down the road? Would subway be more timeless/
  • 13 years ago
    Subway tile we'd also look fabulous
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Ditto JDM's advice. One last note; try to find a tile that combines the natural look with white glass. By including white your cabinets won't look out of tempo. There are dozens of companies producing lineal mosaic, it will just take some hunting. You might start online by "Google-ing" mosaic tile.......
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks again to all!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Subway tile may be a little less trendy, but I can tell you from being in the stone and tile industry almost 20 years that no tile is immune to trends. Subway tile has even come and gone and come back...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    My choice would be marble mosaic tile.
  • 13 years ago
    try this one
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi---you really need a color of some sort for the backsplash. Nothing busy or with too much pattern/variation in color and design. The current color palette is so light and dull looking, all your beautiful elements just look washed-away. Subtle color will do wonders for your space. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Woolman Woods Model - Spring 2012 · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Knight Frank LTD · More Info
    ][houzz=][houzz=
    Piano White · More Info
    ][houzz=
    kitchen and baths · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    The tiles shown are lovely, but I agree with comment above. You will have so little space once your hood is in place, I would be tempted to paint it. Use a bold accent color tying into the living space.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi chelseyangell!
    Just another idea for you, I think a very subtle mosaic using buttery yellow tiles would really highlight the warmth of your granite, and help to make your white cabinets seem less sterile. Below is an example of tiles/mosaic from our site. Good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    visit www.backsplashtogo.com for huge selection.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm not sure how you feel about decorated kiln fired ceramic tiles for the back splash but I make and sell over 400 patterns. Most of the murals I make would fit in your area and are very affordable. Thank you and good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    Would you consider a black back splash to add contrast and coordinate with the beautiful pendant lights? Perhaps a larger subway tile or a black glass subway tile would look nice. For a less expensive and less expensive alternative you could paint the back splash in a bright color that you will also use in towels, small appliances etc. I am painting my back splash red with Glidden's high gloss gel paint. Another idea is to have glass cut to fit your back splash, paint one side and mount paint side down. It has a nice and unique look. Good Luck!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would choose a subway tile, but not in white. Pick another light shade from your granite, or a nice soft gray, and it will look classic. Beautiful kitchen!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'd choose a small black glass tile to match the lamps and appliances [houzz=
    Cove Finishings Hand Painted Glass Mosaic Subway Tiles · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Contemporary Kitchen Tile · More Info
    ] or a light sandy grey matte porcelain tile to match the countertop (like the ones posted by Aggiedesigns). [houzz=
    KitchenLab · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Elegant Traditional Kitchen Beaded Inset · More Info
    ] Neither choice will disturb the colorscheme nor look sterile. Sand looks classical and black will give it a more industrial feel.
  • 13 years ago
    Glazed subway tile in beige, with a gray undertone. Classic selections. Add interest with functional items on counter, though not too much. Portuguese pottery platter on plate stand in corner near refrigerator. Please rethink the tv blackbox on counter.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What do you think if its something like that ?! and you can find more on http://www.susanjablon.com/shop/glass-tiles-mosaic/tile-collections/marble-natural-stone-tiles.html
  • 13 years ago
    I always see tiles used as a backsplash. Is it possible to just use a sort of washable semi matt paint?
  • 13 years ago
    if you want to paint it try this first paint it a gray flat color then with a sponge just lightly touch it up with white paint let thr gray show up ok that may be good an less money ok
  • 13 years ago
    Backsplash is easy and not very expensive to change out over time, so pick something you like now. I tend to like the long, thin linear tiles, or the subway tiles-- nothing too small and busy--because it tones down the busyness of the granite and looks very "in" right now. EVERYTHING comes in and out of style over time. That's design.
  • 13 years ago
    Exterior wall paint will do. A friend of mine (with 5 kids) repaints it every 4 to 5 years. She told me even tomato-sauce and grease from chicken comes off quite easy with simply soap and hot water.
  • 13 years ago
    I'd paint the back splash a color that ties in with your floor and the rest of the room. You need some color and this is the easiest and least expensive way to go. And, you can change it if you don't like the color. I'd go with a microwave/vent over the stove.
  • 13 years ago
    Ringreation did you really mean paint the back splash with Exterior paint? I have never heard of this but maybe it is more durable. Could you clarify? Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, a good quality exterior paint is washable and quite sturdy, so why not? I live in the Netherlands but my guess is the water-based exterior wallpaint here is similar where you reside. All you need is 2 or 3 inches of stone/tile (the same type of granite if possible) upright along the countertop, because that's the 'dirty edge'.
  • 13 years ago
    The solution above is exactly what we have in our kitchen. About 10cm of the same stone as the countertop and above that just paint in the same colour as the kitchen wall elsewhere. But the painter mentioned that it was a special mixture of latex and some oil based paint. Super easy to wipe off and works great for us.
    We actually used it in bathrooms and toilets as well. I hate tiles on the walls, but that is my personal preference. The only tiles we have are in the showers. And you probably already guessed it. We live in the Hague, Netherlands!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If I can be of any help to you please let me know how! Susan
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    A glass tile backsplash is a snap to keep clean, vinegar and water or even just windex and it's brand new. We have so many affordable possibilities, I would love to help you with this. Susan
  • 11 years ago
    Post from 2013.