Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneddo

The Purple House

Denice Neddo
8 years ago

What do you think about homes that are not the typical color in a neighborhood?

Paint Before It's Listed?
Leave it Purple, is it really a turnoff?

Comments (18)

• motupeg
    8 years ago

I would keep driving by. I would think, "if the outside is lilac, what does the inside of the house look like?". I would think that for a good sale, the house should have the best 'updated color and curb appeal' in the neighborhood not the worst.

• User
    8 years ago
    Love it!
  • ritting28
    8 years ago
    Love the purple. To sell, I would choose a color that fits in with your neighborhood.
  • Denice Neddo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dana, I am the Realtor, the market is hot and we actually have multiple offers the house, just looking for feedback.

• PRO
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging
    8 years ago
    That's great Denice!
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

ok, so expiring minds wish to know, how great a deal is it, is that what is driving the offers?

• Denice Neddo
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hot market, low interest rates, and other than the color, the house is in very good condition and on very large lot. The paint is actually a high quality paint, it just happens to be purple. Most of the interested parties said that they could paint it themselves because it is only one story.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

what i figured so the actual answer is, if it is to good to refuse, don't bother with the paint, if you want to get a better price,paint it same old, same old.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

and i hope the new owners think on it a while before they repaint. our vacation home was known as 'the yellow house on the top of _____ street' before we bought it, and no matter where we went locally.. small grocery store, town hall, library...when we started to describe where we were we'd be interrupted with 'oh the yellow house on the top of ____ street.'. that was 15 years ago but we dont have the heart to change the color.

and then there is this charming house, a couple blocks from our regular house:

• stewy2you
    8 years ago
    Ugly. Sorry,
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

there are worse, I was the wife of the guy who wrecked his scooter and cracked his head open. yellow house...... not so bad. i would give in and name the above house the iris or shrinking violet. at least that way, it will be named more than descriptive?

• Momof5x
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We have some neighbourhoods that often go by landmarks to reach someone's home but some people have actually painted their house exterior blue, pink and orange (unusual) in order that friends can identify their house immediately by its colour!!

The orange house- for some reason- I feel that is colour according to Mediterranean tastes. Funny enough, the become known as the "blue house" or "pink house" by other residents who also may use them as landmarks too.

I would suggest you repaint it as there is already so much beautiful colour around your house. Go neutral like cream, white, or grey.

• studio10001
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The house colour is quite sweet, but the Barney trim

could be nicer if done in a violet based grey. Though I am showing it at the window, I think the fascia and garage door are enough accent colour, and would paint out the window.(Click to see )

• januarisun
    8 years ago

I would love a purple house in my neighborhood. The house next to me just painted their house a purply blue, and across from me is a pink house. A purple house would be different, but not odd. I'm in a tropical region, so they go with the weather.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

yes tropical regions tend to be lighter, but the orange house we had in our neighborhood momof was bright orange on the trim. not appealing at all. In FL, at least the varied colors were normally pastel as opposed to brights. The brights still stuck out.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm all for diversity.

• Kristina
    8 years ago
    I like it, but then again I'm used to sights such as these... :-)