Software
Houzz Logo Print
spedprof1

Thin Bi-fold doors?

11 years ago

I have my new stacked washer dryer in a closet in my condo and the current bi-fold doors just about rub the outer edge of the washer when the door is closed. The current door is 1 3/8 inches so I may be looking for a slightly narrower door that is of good quality. I assume that most thin doors are on the budget side but are there any that are of better quality? Can't move the track as it has already been moved to the edge of the opening. May also consider building the wall out, but want to be prepared.


Thanks

Comments (11)

  • 11 years ago

    What about separating the bifolds to have them be 2 doors?

    A picture would help us to understand your limitations also.

  • 11 years ago

    If you have room along both sides of your wall you could take off the Bifolds and use those doors as a barn style with a track. It would help with front and side clearance.

  • 11 years ago




    Thanks so much... Kirkhall asked for pictures... Attached are three... the current door, the washing machine that limits closing and the narrow hallway to a bedroom. the machine cannot be moved right as it is up against our hot water heater. I know I could probably just shave the current door down 1/8 inch where it closes but we are looking to upgrade the entire door, if we can find a narrower bifold. We might even extend the track (if that is possible).

    Thanks.

  • 11 years ago

    A thinner door won't solve your problem. It's the edge of the door that's hitting your dryer, meaning the relationship of the track to the front of the dryer.

    I'd vote for either the barn door solution if you've got the wall space, or else add a 1x4 on the outside of the wall, then shift the track out 3/4".

  • 11 years ago

    It might help to bevel the door edge because the maximum rubbing occurs when the edge is rotating at the half open point.

  • 11 years ago

    I had a similar problem with a hallway closet laundry room in an apartment I was renovating.

    The solution I went with was to use Full-Access Bi-folding door hardware.

  • 11 years ago

    Yup. I think I'd try full access hardware from Johnson.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    If the doors are already flush with the outside face of the hall wall, the full access hardware won't when the doors are open or closed but it might help when the doors are being opened. I would consider beveling the edge first.

    You might add 1" casing trim and move the track out 1" but that might require adding jambs for support.

  • 11 years ago

    Just realized that I neglected to say Thanks!! So Thank you all for your advice... I have some good ideas to discuss with a contractor.

  • 4 years ago

    @spedprof it's been a few years - but we're encountering the same issue and I'm curious to hear what your solutions were to this problem.