Software
Houzz Logo Print
bwmsuccess

Lots of Photos! Kitchen, dining and living room remodel.

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Each image shows the before and after taken from the same angle. Removed a wall and bathroom to open the kitchen to the living room; moved the fridge away from the cooking area; removed old closet-type pantry and installed bar area with sink, fridge and lots of storage; added large island for functional workspace and additional seating; in living room moved gas fireplace to corner and added stone surround, added new lighting and coffered ceiling . Enjoy the pics!

Above, view from the hallway. A wall/bathroom was on the left. We removed that to open the space and add a large island.
Above, view towards the old pantry area, with the new bar area. Added a second microwave which helps keep traffic out of the main cooking area in the kitchen.
Above, dining area is more spacious now that we removed the old closet-style pantry and replaced it with a bar, sink, and lots of storage.
Above, we enlarged the kitchen window too.
Above, moved the fridge away from the main cooking area for easier access, and added a pantry for the food (on top) and pots and pans (in the large bottom drawers).
Above, the view from the dining area shows the old wall. We removed the wall and bathroom to open the space to the living room.
Above, the gas fireplace was just sitting on a piece of tile; we moved it to the corner and added a stone surround. The room used to be very dark, but opening it to the kitchen really helped. Also added the coffered ceiling and dimmable can lighting.
View of the accent wall in the dining area.
Custom Irish tiles were installed above the bar sink and the stove.

A close-up of the stacked stone backsplash.

Comments (63)

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Beth Hanson. I saw this granite a few different places with two names, one was Blue Flower and the other was Enchanted Forest. I believe it has a bit more color to it than Bianco Antico - there's a lot of grey, white and blue with tiny touches here and there of green and yellow - but you have to look close for those. I didn't want anything with the common yellowy-brown; this granite was perfect for me because the brown is a deep subtle color.

  • 11 years ago

    I really like the stacked stone that's used on the accent wall and backsplash. I've seen it used before and it has been in my ideabook for quite some time, but wouldn't dust build up on it? How are you supposed to dust it? Would something like a Swiffer catch on it and leave fibers? Maybe you could vacuum it with a brush attachment. Does anyone have any experience with this?

    bwmsuccess thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    OMG...if I can't have your kitchen, could you come and make mine look like yours? It is stunning...I love every inch of it, that brick wall, the Irish tiles, the dark cabinets...taking my breath away. Enjoy yourselves in my Dream Kitchen!!! Cheers!

    bwmsuccess thanked chrissiekirk
  • 11 years ago

    Dear "aoglesby999"...our backsplash is stacked stone and I went and double-checked, but I see no dust clinging at all. I have noticed little, tiny grease splashes behind the cooktop but they are so tiny and you truly do not notice them. I absolutely LOVE my stack stone and would never say I didn't. (Hint: Hubby vacuumed them with the brush attachment & hose and that worked just fine.)

    bwmsuccess thanked chrissiekirk
  • 11 years ago
    This looks fabulous! Great job! Like the pops of yellow as well.
    bwmsuccess thanked Jeanne
  • 11 years ago

    aoglesby999, dust, spider webs, grease spots -- all of those were reasons why I wasn't sure this was right for me, but hubby convinced me and I do love it. As chrissiekirk said, you can actually vacuum it, and then I wipe as best I can with a damp cloth. The stone is sealed and my contractor said not to worry about grease, but I tend to cook the items that will spatter over on the island in an electric skillet rather than the stove stop, just to be sure. We plan to re-seal it every year.

  • 11 years ago

    Can you tell me the manufacturer and color of the stacked stone? Love your kitchen!

    bwmsuccess thanked retiredred2
  • 11 years ago

    retiredred2, the stacked stone was manufactured in southern California by Coronado. The type is Pro-Ledge and the color is Cape Cod Grey. Be aware that the stone looks darker when first installed because it's damp; once it dries out it matches the sample. But there is a finish you can put on it to give it that 'wet/dark look' if you want. (This link doesn't show our color: http://www.coronado.com/Pro-LedgeDesigner)

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you so much for your quick reply. I'm hoping to redo a fireplace front and having a difficult time locating stone I like. I'm in So Utah so I may be able to locate it, at least in Las Vegas. Thinking your selection might do the trick!

  • 11 years ago
    Great job!
    bwmsuccess thanked debbie2468
  • 11 years ago
    Absolutely Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    bwmsuccess thanked K SKT
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Dear bwmsuccess: I just love how you got we Houzzers involved in your remodel and especially how you were very involved with our questions and comments...not many post-ers do that so it is greatly appreciated and it made it a lot more fun and personal! Cheers!

    bwmsuccess thanked chrissiekirk
  • 11 years ago

    I second chrissiekirk's comment!

    bwmsuccess thanked retiredred2
  • 11 years ago

    The floor is a nice upgrade. I'm looking for a light colored floor. What did you use? It looks great.

    bwmsuccess thanked vvbboonn
  • 11 years ago

    chrissiekirk, retiedred2, I spent months scouring Houzz photos, made Idea Books, viewed 'Before and Afters', and I can't tell you the number of times I went to Lowes, Home Depot, the granite yards (6 in one day!) and everywhere in between to see and touch the materials in person.

    I just enjoyed the efforts everyone on Houzz took to share their pictures and info and wanted to do the same for others! If I can save just one person from an extra walk through a granite yard then it's worth it, lol. I really enjoy seeing what everyone does, with the huge variety of projects (tiny rooms to grand mansions) and the styles and tastes are all so different.

  • 11 years ago

    vvbbonn, the floor tile is 12x24 Glazed Porcelain from Lowe's; it's called Cityside. Ours came 8-tiles to a box. Here's the link: http://www.lowes.com/pd_591548-24094-63CS15_0_#img

  • 11 years ago

    bwmsuccess, I found two local distributors for the Pro-Ledge so I'll check it out this week. Here's hoping it's just what I need for my fireplace ;-)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Fabulous design!!!. I love dark cabinets, flooring, accent wall. I work for Lowes, but my store doesn't have that flooring. It's at a nearby store, will have to check it out!

    bwmsuccess thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Wow! The before-and-after photos are amazing! Fantastic work!

    bwmsuccess thanked Selectblinds
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Gorgeous! Great job! Love it!

    bwmsuccess thanked Cure Design Group
  • 11 years ago

    This is one of the best before and after's I've seen. Where did you find the Irish tile?

    bwmsuccess thanked Fiona Costello
  • 11 years ago
    Love the tiles and way they are laid on the floor!
    bwmsuccess thanked Bryan Lip
  • 11 years ago

    Fiona Costello, we knew we needed to break up the monotony of the stacked stone but couldn't find any medallions we liked. We wanted something Irish since my hubby's family is from County Mayo, and while I found some beautiful ones online, they were in Canada and would take 8 weeks to complete. Then I searched locally and lo and behold, an artist lives just up the street from me. We gave our ideas to Ric Rice, who designed and made the tiles. We wanted a bit more color in them, but now that they are installed we are very pleased with them. I found the dark border at Lowes, and it really sets them off well. Ric also did the etched glass with shamrocks on our bar doors. Here's a page I found for Ric: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-ric-rice.html?tab=artwork

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Like a new home:) wonderful job!

    bwmsuccess thanked InterMix Interiors
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    What a change!

    bwmsuccess thanked Lenore Frances Home Interiors
  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful! Did you move your basement stairs or is that just a pantry?

    bwmsuccess thanked hbarr13
  • 11 years ago

    The dark door is a coat closet, and the white door was the old walk-in pantry that we removed and replaced with the bar area. No basement. :)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    BEautiful, especially the faux stone wall...

    bwmsuccess thanked Studio NOO Design
  • 11 years ago

    bwmsuccess My family is from County Mayo as well! That website, finartamerica.com, is fantastic! You definitely have a unique piece that every Irish home needs :)

    bwmsuccess thanked Fiona Costello
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Nicely done!

    bwmsuccess thanked Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
  • 11 years ago

    Beautiful job. Where did you get the stencil of the tree on one wall?

    bwmsuccess thanked dallara14
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Good job.

    bwmsuccess thanked Amanda Carol Interiors
  • 11 years ago
    Looks amazing! How long did the renovation take?
    bwmsuccess thanked scribbles718
  • 11 years ago

    dallara14, everyone's tastes are a bit different. The stenciled wall was in the dining area when we bought the house; that's our 'before' picture. The 'after' picture of the same area is just under the one you mentioned. :) We covered the painted wall with stacked stone.

  • 11 years ago

    scribbles718, the renovation took much longer than we thought it would - which seems to be the norm! We thought it would take about 2 1/2 months because another home we worked on only took 2 months. But this was more involved, plus there were delays with the cabinets and granite - and we added some work such as the coffered ceiling in the living room. The entire job, from gut to finish, was about 5 months. Agonizing as you go through it, but worth it now.

  • 11 years ago
    bwmsuccess, I totally know what you mean. Our kitchen appliances took the longest... fridge was on back order for 1 month and the stove came with a small ding on it and to replace it. So totally understand your pain, but very well worth it! Enjoy your new kitchen! :-)
  • 11 years ago
    Much more efficient layout now! It's beautiful!
    bwmsuccess thanked Patricia Earehart
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Like! What an amazing transformation! Five months of pain = decades of great times in this new kitchen space!

    bwmsuccess thanked Slip Resistant Solutions, Inc.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Love the layout. Beautiful job!

    bwmsuccess thanked May Construction, Inc.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Good work!

    bwmsuccess thanked VRA Interiors, LLC
  • 11 years ago
    Wow, is this beautiful! I love ALL of your choices!
    bwmsuccess thanked ascharpf
  • 11 years ago

    It looks so elegant and classy.

    bwmsuccess thanked Amin Mneina
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Beautiful transformation!

    bwmsuccess thanked The RTA Store
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Very nicely done !
    bwmsuccess thanked Restoring Muskogee
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Great work!

    bwmsuccess thanked Bayberry Cottage
  • 10 years ago

    I'm looking for info on Cityside tile. The Lowes site has only a handful of reviews, and one reviewer says her Cityside gray tile floor shows dirt very readily and is difficult to clean. She even has to scrub it "Cinderella style," which is not what I want to be doing after our remodel! I'm really drawn to the look, but if they're not low maintenance, they're not the tile for me. Thanks so much.

  • 10 years ago

    Kuhudd, we have lived with our tile for more than a year now and I still love it. The only time I clean it "Cinderalla style" is when I want to clean the grout thoroughly. It's very easy and quick to wipe down. That being said, I don't have kids or pets trashing it daily, but even after my grandson visits it's not bad, and again, very easy to clean with a basic mop or damp cloth. Our contractor DID put a seal on it, maybe that's the difference? But it hasn't stained or anything, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for the reply--that's really helpful. Interesting about the sealant, too--I assume both grout and tile got the treatment. Hmm, guess Cityside is back on the short list again. Glad you are enjoying your beautiful and functional place. Also nice to read and hear from someone who actually made it through their remodel with sanity intact; maybe there's hope...

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    AMAZING- well done!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Beautiful transformation! Love the cabinetry and the rock walls!