Software
Houzz Logo Print
djifa_lee

help me update this monstrosity!!!

11 years ago
my husband and I are closing on this new home in a few days. We are super excited BUT I can't even fathom losing in before we fix this kitchen. It is so outdated looking to me and not at all what I envisioned my kitchen to look like. the counters are Corian and I feel we should keep them for now. They are a brownish gray color which is not ideal for me but I can work with them. we have allotted enough money to get new appliances( about 3000 for a package) which will leave us with about $2000 for the rest such as backsplash paint lighting excetera.... my main goal is not to make this kitchen perfect we plan on completely remodeling in about 10 years, but to make this kitchen something I can be proud of in the meantime. I was thinking of painting the cabinets white adding trim on the top of the cabinet and removing the 4 inch strip of Corian going up the wall and replacing with a very clean white tile. in for appliances I was thinking GE's line of White Ice appliances . what are your thoughts?

Comments (23)

  • 11 years ago
    here are 2 appliance colors that I'm considering
  • 11 years ago
    What about just painting to start? That can change a rooms look and feel too. I agree, your cabinets don't look bad. Painting, maybe adding a rug and towels and adding kitchen-y things to counter will help it come alive for cheap! Live with the "inexpensive" fixes for a bit before spending too much...especially if this is not your forever kitchen. Have fun decorating and congrats on the new house!
  • 11 years ago

    I agree that it is not bad ...just paint the walls, get some pretty art/accessories and rugs. Add some hardware to your cabinets. Remove the blinds and add pretty fabric window treatments.

  • 11 years ago
    Oh, I just saw the appliances you are considering. If the current appliances are working fine, I would advise against buying new now. When it comes time to remodel you will inevitably need new, as what you buy now, may not fit in your remodel.
    If you need a fridge now, you could get a used one off Craig's list that should last you a couple of years.
  • 11 years ago
    My thought is if you paint cabinets and do tile, be careful with the white you pick... Seems like it shouldn't be too cool sagainst that counter color. But then the ice white appliances might be a very cool white, which wouldn't match the cabinet white...
    Brown grout for the tile might complement the counter... But thats probably not the look you are going for.
  • 11 years ago

    I agree with sandyc, wait on buying all new appliances. The current ones look to be in good shape and her idea of a used black fridge is the way to go for now. If you want to replace something, I would check out new counter tops, Something that will go with the black and any new in the future. The last time I went shopping for counter tops I was amazed at the selection and beauty of laminates for kitchens they have now. Yes, I only have a nodding acquaintance with my kitchen, but I really think that the cost of countertops now days is outrageous.

  • 11 years ago
    Hi Sandy c. !
    Thanks for your quick response! What I failed to mention is this house is a foreclosure so the only appliance that is actually functioning is the stove and possibly the microwave.
    There is a small bit of cabinets around the refrigerator on the other side along with a second pantry. Sorry I have no pictures of that.
    Another thing I failed to mention in my panic is that my husband and I are military, so we plan on living in the home for about three years renting it out for 7 and then moving back in when he retires. so I do want something that will appeal to renters as well for the time being.
  • 11 years ago

    Make sure you measure for the appliances. It looks like there is a gap between the stove and cabinets.

  • 11 years ago
    thank you! Love all of theses options !! and I'll be sure to measure carefully!
  • 11 years ago
    the second picture looks like the direction we will be headed in
  • 11 years ago

    Congratulations on your new home! It looks like a Florida style floor plan. If you're going to paint the cabinets white, try to look into a warmer white since you have beige in the floors and the counter tops are also warmer. I think the white ice appliances are going to read too cool as misswumble said. Good luck with your project!

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you ! I guess we'll have to go with the slate finish appliances. Although I wonder if it will feel too dark. I am trying to avoid stainless steel at all costs. and I haven't seen many other options that will work for us. always open to suggestion!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Custom Hardware for your cabinets would add the perfect finish to this great remodel. Knockout Knobs uses 3D printing technology to create the perfect metal knobs and pulls for your kitchen cabinets. Your Passion, Your Design, Your Hardware. Add the jewelry to your new kitchen with


  • 11 years ago

    Why won't white appliances work?

  • 11 years ago
    it seems that the white appliances will read too " cool". In contrast with the warmer white paint that would look best for the cabinets. but I'm afraid that the slate appliances will darken the kitchen too much unfortunately the only option left is stainless steel which is what I was trying to avoid.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    If I was renting in 3 years, I wouldn't spend a ton and would go with slate colored appliances and maybe you can find some floor models or scratch and dent (we picked up a floor model washing machine and saved close to $400). I wouldn't touch the counter and instead spend money on painting the cabinets, adding hardware, adding a backsplash and new light fixture. I would paint the cabinets cream, as your floor might be better complimented than with white. See the color combination below, which would be similar and the backsplash is also a nice choice.

    Premier · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    I think the slate appliances will be fine. Since you're painting your cabinets, that will keep things light and your floor is light as well. You have tons of natural light-it shouldn't be a concern at all.

  • 11 years ago

    Don't panic. Keep the appliances that work and only replace when needed & use either black or white when replacing. I agree w/ not going SS. Corian is a very good counter top material. If moving in about three years, live with it the way it is. Painting the walls adding throw rugs, towels, curtains will make such a difference. Save the money for more necessary things.

  • 11 years ago

    Yes, get nice oil rubbed bronze cup handles & knobs to dress up the cabinets. You have a great pantry.

  • 11 years ago

    Just a side note. That ceiling light fixture in the first picture, take it down and put up something nicer for your own enjoyment....save it though, so you can put it back up for the renters.

  • 11 years ago
    sounds like a plan!!!
  • 11 years ago
    sandradclark! you read my mind I have been looking through oiled bronze pulls all day !!