Software
Houzz Logo Print
anniejuvvan

Need help for my family room furniture arrangement

11 years ago

I have a family room attached to the kitchen. I have a gas fireplace on one of the walls. We don't really use the fireplace and planning to get the connection shut by PSEG. In that case, can I place furniture against that wall? I am planning to get a sectional and place the chaise side against the fireplace wall. Is this OK since I will be getting the fireplace connection turned off? Attached is the picture. there is a island at the spot I stood to take this pic. I want to use the left short wall to place the TV and TV unit(cable point). So the sectional should be against the window wall and the fireplace wall, since the fourth side(where I stand has an island with barstools).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (29)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you place furniture against that wall, keep in mind that the fireplace will always be there intruding in a way you may not like in the future. My suggestion would be to get a long sofa and get an accent chair and ottoman to fit the space so that the fireplace, while it is not being used, won't have to be covered up so much and will be aesthetically pleasing even though it is not used. It could, down the road, be a new focal point in the room, so don't count it out just yet!

    anniejuvvan thanked Lynzi Wise, Ethan Allen Design Center Chesterfield
  • 11 years ago

    Your FP is the focal point in your room. Even though you do not wish to use it, the fact is it will still be in the room. It will look silly to try and hide it. Make the most of it. Have you thought of putting something in it or hanging TV above it?


    Transitional Living Room · More Info

    Jennifer and Chris · More Info

    Ironic vintage frame · More Info

    My Houzz: DIY Love Reforms a Dated Cape Ann Home · More Info

    anniejuvvan thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks much for the advice and inputs. I will consider a long sofa and a accent chair, and maybe a cushioned bench in front FP if extra seating is needed. Might buy a big clock or a mirror for above the fireplace. I wanted to maximise seating cos our close friends hang out in the family room to watch games on TV with us.

  • 11 years ago

    The wall color is beautiful, and the wide window ledge is a fantastic feature. If you do back a sofa or sectional up to it, you will have fun selecting beautiful things to set on it. I hope you can go without curtains to play it up! I agree about not blocking off the fireplace with furniture. It will look awkward and uncomfortable. For this narrow space (it is, isn't it?) you'll want a fairly small coffee table to allow plenty of room for traffic to flow.

    anniejuvvan thanked Linnea Patrick
  • 11 years ago
    I think you have to come to terms with the fact your room is not going to accommodate a sectional and it would look a little odd to block off the fireplace. Make sure when shopping for a sofa, you take your measurements. Sofas come in all shapes and sizes and you don't want something huge and overstuffed. A nice long sofa will fit and then you can get two chairs in there too. Try not to get a matching set. It is often suggested to keep your big pieces neutral. Love your wall color. A beautiful oatmeal color sofa in a natural fiber such as linen would look great with the walls. You could do a darker color for the chairs in a solid or pattern. There are a lot of accent colors that would work with your walls. A pretty persimmon throw and accent pillows would add color and texture to the room.
    anniejuvvan thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Thanks so much. Loving the idea of sofa and accent chairs. Yes it is narrow.. 12*11 ft...We painted the walls :) and changed flooring.. Here is the current pic. I have our breakfast table there(had just moved in.. the room now is empty.)

  • 11 years ago

    First pic - view from kitchen peninsula, second pic - tv wall.. view from fireplace corner, third pic - view from fireplace other corner.

  • 11 years ago

    I added nesting tables to pull out for guests, a bench and 2 square ottomans that could be used for seating. An 8x10 rug, a 92" sofa and chair.





    30"x30" for over FP

    anniejuvvan thanked susan2494
  • 11 years ago

    Wow susan2494 !!! These ideas are awesome!!

  • 11 years ago

    All are from overstock.com Clock is from Pier 1

  • 11 years ago

    Another option if you plan to put bar stools at the counter:

  • 11 years ago
    Yes this was the option I was thinking about. But the regular 92-110 inch sofa might hit the wall.. Which I am ok with.
  • 11 years ago
    Which apps do you use to draw these pics!! Interesting..
  • 11 years ago

    I'm not a decorator, but I would embrace the fireplace and put a couch in front of it facing it. That leaves that beautiful window seat available to be seen. I would also put the TV above the fireplace and I'd put some cushions on the window seat that way it really doesn't make the room look to full of furniture. You probably can squeeze in two chairs on either side of the fireplace if they don't have arms.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    many "room divider art screen" options on houzz / temp cover for fp/ I think like art, and covers the whole thing.

    Metal Leather Divider Privacy Screen Brown Accent Decor · More Info
    Oriental Chinese Style Scenery Art Wood Canvas 4 Panel Room Divider Screen Shoji · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Several heights and widths to choose from. One is an empty canvas that allows you to paint it/ decoupage it, etc...

    6 ft. Tall Double Sided Works of Monet Canvas Room Divider - Water Lily/Garden · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    I didn't have dimensions, but I used 12x16' room., If it is bigger, let me know and I can adjust. sofa I used was 92" tried 102" and it was a little cramped for adding a bench in front of FP.

  • 11 years ago

    Isn't the room 12'x11'?

  • 11 years ago
    Yes it is 12*11.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I don't often recommend the TV over FP, but in this case. I will. If you want maximum seating for the room, this is the best plan. Room size is now correct.


    Everyone can see TV, even from kitchen. I did add a small bench, but could replace with a small accent chair. Floor lamps in corners and again nesting tables to pull out when needed. Sofa is 92" and 8x10 rug.

  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks.. I agree.. I do not like TV over FP..long term neck issues and moreover the wall would look cramped with a 55inch TV. I can do without floor lamps as we have recessed lighting. Will place the accent chair to the left of FP. Need to find a really nice couch first.

  • 11 years ago

    By FP, bring in some color


    Other corner chair


    these sofas are nice if leather is not in budget



    Sofa with legs will give an illusion of more space also.

    anniejuvvan thanked susan2494
  • 11 years ago

    are these from overstock too?


  • 11 years ago

    I love the first chair that Susan posted.

  • 11 years ago

    yes, chair is ITEM# 17078390 If you want item # let me know.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks Susan, I will buy a couch and then look out for chairs. Love the RED chair!!