Software
Houzz Logo Print
irjowo99

Bugs on my beans, and elsewhere

11 years ago

I started to be concerned when my pole beans weren't producing this summer. I started a thread on gardenweb in July and got the advice it might be the excessive heat here in the pacific northwest.

Well even in the cooler weather they never really started producing.

More to the point I've found bugs
that seem to be the likely culprit. I noticed them back in July but didn't give
them any thought. Well through August I saw they were hanging out on my
beans as well as laying eggs and I found colonies of eggs and newborns
on the underside of leaves.

I've started seeing these bugs in other parts of the garden.

I've attached a couple pictures of some of the nymph stage that I've
been seeing running around in my garden lately. Mostly on beans but also
on a cucumber, eggplant and tomato plant.

I also am pretty certain that they are descendants of a large green adult bug that I had seen around all summer. I've seen this large green bug near the babies, and it has a similar look as well as behavior.

I am very concerned about this infestation and wondering what I can
do to try to reduce the chances that it will be a significant problem
next season.

Comments (5)

  • 11 years ago

    it might be the excessive heat here in the pacific northwest.===>>>


    boy thats rich ... it was 90 plus for the 7 of the last 14 days here ... i n MI .. you really dont know what excessive heat is.. in regard to these plants ...


    tricky pic... is there any damage to the plants??? ... i cant tell what that is at 1 oclock .... in the pic.. dead leaf.. or mulch.. or what ...


    unless you find or ID actual damage.. then there is little reason to act ...


    ken

  • 11 years ago

    They look like some kind of instars to me. I.e. immature bugs.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Possible brown marmorated stinkbug (BMSB) youngsters. To verify, they should have a white band on their antennae.

    Because these are an early developmental stage, they weren't around, or were even alive, at the time of your earlier posts.

    Problems with fruit set include insufficient water. In our recent heat -- Yes, Ken, it's been hot here -- many gardeners didn't realize just how rapidly soil moisture was disappearing ad plants were slighted.

    Another thing to consider -- too much fertilizer.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Ken, for a coastal maritime climate, our weather this summer has been excessively hot. We have broken numerous heat records including the number of days the temperature exceeded 90 degrees. While YOU may not consider that excessive, given our location and "normal" weather patterns, it is for us. And unusual or atypical weather can create all sorts of different disease and insect issues we would not normally expect with a typical summer. It has nothing to do with how hot you may get in MI - it has buckets to do with how hot it has been here (as well as excessively dry) and how abnormal this is and how that abnormality may affect OUR growing conditions.

    I believe what the OP is seeing are the eggs and nymphs of marmorated stink bugs. In the last year or so, these have become exceedingly problematic in this area both for commercial agriculture and the home gardener. I would Google images to confirm (seeing the bugs first hand, then comparing to clear photos is a more efficient ID process than less than distinct images we are just guessing at) and then research what potential control methods may be. It is my understanding that there are few pesticides, if any, that are effective. And it is strongly suggested that you contact theWA state Dept of Agriculture and report these pests, provided you are able to confirm their ID.

  • 11 years ago

    Hey thanks everybody--

    As for the bugs-- someone in my original bean thread had a link to an article on wikipedia that with pics that look exactly like what I've been seeing.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/pole-beans-flower-but-do-not-produce-pods-pretty-sure-excess-n-dsvw-vd~3250180

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nezara_viridula

    According to that article they won't survive a serious freeze. Of course we barely had any freezing weather last winter...

    Regarding the beans-- I think it might have been that I grew them too crowded (combined with too much fertilizer and excessive heat and probably not enough water.)

    I noticed they were very crowded and the flowers were mostly around the edges. So in the last few weeks I've added more trellis, pruned a lot of leaves, pulled some plantes and cut some vines then tied to the new trellis.

    Still disappointing since it's already almost september but I'm hoping if the sunny pattern persists maybe I'll get a few dinner's worth at least. I spent a lot of time watering and otherwise fussing with the beans over the summer so I feel committed at this point...

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals