Software
Houzz Logo Print
courtneyjune

Help!

11 years ago
My husband and I are building a home and we are trying to choose the laminate floors for the entire first floor of the house. We have very limited options from our builder, but we have narrowed it down the three that we like. We can't decide what would look best with the tiny sample pieces they give you and no one, not even the manufacturer has a picture of them done up in a house. This is a big decision and I need expert advice. In the first picture I have our cabinets, granite, and two of the laminate options. The second picture has the third option.

Comments (11)

  • 11 years ago

    I agree. First one. I don't care for busy or trendy flooring. I always would go for a timeless wood flooring, a medium brown will never scream any particular decade.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Agree with Cynthia in general about style (since you haven't given us much context in that regard). Also wanted to caution against the second one (hickory, maybe?), because I think it will make a *very* busy floor for the whole level of the house, compete with your granite in the kitchen, etc. -- can be beautiful, but seldom fades gracefully into the background. Look online for examples of floors done with that wood, if not that flooring, for a sense; you just need to be sure you love that if you pick it.

    Hickory Flooring · More Info
    Of the other two, I prefer the grayer one, in part because it's very trendy and modern (in a rustic way); on the other hand, the more classical one might hold up better to changing tastes. If you're getting wood of a reasonable thickness, then there is always a chance to sand and refinish at some future date, but more easily from light to dark than vice versa.

    Good luck!

  • 11 years ago
    First one
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I like the sample to the far left in the first photo. It will give your home a rich, elegant look that will look great for years to come and not feel trendy.

    Congratulations on your new home!

  • 11 years ago
    The first one is the only one I would even consider.
  • 11 years ago

    I agree. The dark wood won't be too busy, and will go with more design styles. The second is very rustic, and the third one is very "beachy."

  • 11 years ago

    The only 2 that I think match (consider the colors I'm looking at are on my computer, not in person) are #1 and #4. That being said, figure out what is to be your focal point int he kitchen, granite or floor. Too much pattern is confusing and fussy looking. I'd opt for darker floors #1. You can always add a lovely area rug for color and the dark floors will frame it beautifully. Congrats on your new home!


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Here's something you might want to ask your builder: why are laminates being "suggested" or even allowed in a kitchen? I'm sorry to say but a laminate floor in a kitchen is normally considered (flooring idustry standards) "inappropriate" installation and can void warranties.

    Laminate is fine for a the rest of the level (not including kitchen, bathrooms and laundry) but the other "damp" or wet areas are considered 'no fly zones' for laminate floors.

    I know you only have a few options, but you might want to get your ducks in a row before accepting laminate in a kitchen. Just saying.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I agree laminate flooring is not a wise choice for flooring in a kitchen, bath or laundry area. If you want a wood look may I suggest you check out luxury vinyl wood look planks or even an engineered wood flooring.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Totally agree that laminate flooring is not the best choice for wet areas, mostly it will only last about 5 years if you may keep it dry and clean. Vinyl tile is cheaper and save up a lot money for someone to install for you, but it may get molded or water damage easily also. I will suggest you to go research on wood grain tiles, they are water resistance and long lasting material.

    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info