Software
Houzz Logo Print
saschman

Curb Appeal? Help choose a fence color

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

I recently updated the exterior of this house by adding a horizontal pine fence.

I am going to use a solid color stain but not sure what color?

dark slate grey? White?

Also, is the height of the fence too tall for the front of this house?

I also will be adding a gate too.

Comments (25)

  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You could paint the fence a dark red to add a nice contrast.

  • 11 years ago

    Does it matter that there is no other pops of dark red anywhere else?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    If you wanted to add other pops of red, you could put some red plants in a pot that contrasts the red, like black or dark blue. Then you could put pots on the porch.

  • 11 years ago
    Use a dark gray solid stain on the fence. Add color with modern house numbers on the fence. If you go with a big red fence, that will be all you see.
  • 11 years ago

    Thabks ritting28. That was what I was thinking. Do you think fence height is ok or too tall?

  • 11 years ago

    Here's a pic if it were red.

    saschman thanked olafington1
  • 11 years ago
    What style would you say this house is? I can't see much of it. The fence seems mcm. Is that the style you are going for? Do you remodel houses, or flip? Saw your other post, just wondering.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Remodel. The house itself is a small 1920''s bungalow.

  • 11 years ago

    I was thinking something more like this color but how can I tie it in better with house?

  • 11 years ago
    If any color, I would keep it white. The dark is just too overwhelming for the tiny house. As it is, the fence is taking away from the cuteness of the house. Would have liked a shorter picket fence so you could see the house, and more in keeping with the style, IMHO :)
    saschman thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    How's this? I would add silver house numbers on fence and silver mailbox.

  • 11 years ago

    Was thinking of adding this to the area between street curb and sidewalk where grass is dead.

  • 11 years ago

    I think that it is too high! As was mentioned , it detracts from the lovely home. Keep the fence a light ( white?) color.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    yes to the silver numbers and mailbox

    Maybe black rocks with the plants at the parkway? Or just ground cover

    saschman thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 11 years ago

    HI -- Paint it black ... you won't be sorry ... we did ours last summer and it has added so much to the house and yard .

  • 11 years ago

    Lefty do u have a picture u can post?

  • 11 years ago

    I like the parking strip idea. I would go with a lighter gray for the fence & add very bold house numbers & mailbox (maybe red glossy) to the outside of fence.

  • 11 years ago
    Maybe shorten the fence by one board. It does seem to dwarf your home. You could paint and do the landscaping you like, and then see if you want it shorter.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would stain it medium grey to match the house. I love the idea of black but seems too strong for the house...
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I think it's a mistake to refer to this as a fence. This would be considered a screen

  • 11 years ago
    Are visitors, or you, able to walk off of the porch and around the sides of the home? It appears that the new screen starts at the bottom stair and one would have to jump over the garden plants......