Software
Houzz Logo Print
daryajoon

My asymmetrical fireplace mantle & aquarium!

11 years ago
Helppp! I need a cost effective solution to make this fireplace pop. I trying to work with the existing marble on the wall. But if I put a mantle would not be centered due to the aquarium being attached to the fireplace.

Comments (14)

  • 11 years ago

    A mantle would balance the space out. In my opinion the space over the fireplace needs something to create some balance. I think the brown wood should be painted to match the light fireplace surround and wall. That wood is just too heavy for the space. The fireplace surround has a modern open look, and then the dark brown heavy cabinets just weigh everything down. By painting those 2 cabinets everything would recede. Then a mantle might not be so necessary but would look really good. And you could put something on it to soften the whole area , unless you are looking to put your TV over it.

  • 11 years ago

    Agree with Pauli. The mantle is very modern and sleek but the wooden cabinets more traditional. Is there an option for a more modern finish on the cabinet doors?

  • 11 years ago
    Paint out the cabinetry to match your wall color. I would replace the doors with flat panel ones and no hardware. Add a subdued color art piece over mantel.
  • 11 years ago

    I like the idea of artwork over the fireplace.

  • 11 years ago
    I can't change the cabinet colors as The aquarium cabinet & TVunit were just stained dark to match the kitchen cabinets & mahogany laminate flooring :(
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like it all, just install a mantel. You have two focal points on this wall (fireplace and aquarium) which is enough to. You need simple balance now. Asymmetrical is nice and adds the balance. Go with your instincts, they are correct!
  • 11 years ago

    Just for my reference, ekinteriors, what color should the mantel be? Should it match the darker wood or should it be light like the fireplace ? Thanks.

  • 11 years ago
    The issue with the mantle is that it will over hang on one side unless I do a basic shelf with no rounded corners to avoid bringing attention to the mantle not being centered above the fire place opening!
  • 11 years ago

    What about a straight shelf type mantel? Just run it above the fireplace and don't let it hang over. Actually upon thinking on it, this would look better than the mantel coming around the side since the fireplace has something else on the other side.

  • 11 years ago
    Embrace the asymmetric look. If you want a mantle, go for it! Then place art or large decorative pieces above to balance out the space. Alternatively, floating shelves might look nice in the space above the fireplace.
  • 11 years ago
    It appears the aquarium overlaps the tile at the bottom? If so, it's contributing to the disjointed appearance. Love Nancy's last idea to balance the dark doors with more wood. It makes it look more cohesive.
  • 11 years ago
    Wow! I found a damaged marble mantle to use. I'll need to cut into the aquarium & it will be a bit off centered but I think it's my best bet to avoid using dark finished to weigh down that wall & accentuate the asymmetry.... Let me know what you all think :)
  • 11 years ago

    Nice mantel!

Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio