Software
Houzz Logo Print
erika672

About to buy a house but I don't like the kitchen. Please help!

11 years ago

We are about to buy a new home but I do not like the kitchen. We are already dreaming of changing everything about it but I know in reality we probably will only make minor changes. Can anyone recommend some small changing that might help. I like light, bright, and white. Should I just paint the walls a lighter color and change backsplash? Or would I need to paint cabinets too. Thank you for your time!!

Comments (45)

  • 11 years ago

    I would start by painting the walls a light shade, probably a creamy off-white, which will make a huge difference, and add nickel pulls to all the cabinets. (Am assuming you're in no rush to change appliances.) Then live with that a bit. if you still hate it, I'd recommend painting the cabinets a light gray that will mesh with the flooring and current backsplash -- that will lighten and modernize at the same time.

  • 11 years ago

    (would save changing the backsplash for last, if you still need more lightness.)


    Gray painted kitchen cabinets · More Info

    The Tile Shop · More Info

    Mid Kent Holiday Home · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks acm. Yes, I'm painting those red walls first! I feel like its the brown backsplash that grabs my attention (and not in a good way). Would a light grey backsplash work with the grey floors and dark grey counters?


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hello. Congratulations on the purchase of your new home!

    My suggestion for doing minimal changes in your kitchen, would be to change the new paint color to a compatible warm gray. This will give the room a more updated look. If going for bare bones budget changes, I would suggest adding color through the placement of a couple of rugs, such as khilims or textured sisal rugs. Next, I suggest searching for framed art that will fit the vertical linear walls of your new kitchen, with common colors of the new rugs.

    If you can spend more money, I would suggest changing out the black appliances to stainless steel and replace the existing backsplash with a mosaic backsplash of glass tile combined with tiny mirrored mosaic tiles. The small mirrors add a spark of brilliant light for added ambiance and excitement.

    I wish you good health and happiness in your new home!

    erika672 thanked Weglarz Design
  • 11 years ago
    I like it. Just live with it for now. It takes a while to decide what you really will want to do with it. I has good bones. Congrats on the new abode.
    erika672 thanked stlouisgaltoo
  • 11 years ago
    Both Home Depot and Lowes sell "tin" tile look alike so, made of plastic, that you adhere to surfaces using double sided tape. They are paintable. You can attach them to the backsplash, except for the stove area. You can also get thin sheets of stainless steel, and do the same thing. Or mirror, or beadboard, or any material the is light enough to tape up.
    erika672 thanked teamaltese
  • 11 years ago

    Definitely paint the cabinets whitish to blend with the floor

    erika672 thanked Crazy Sadie
  • 11 years ago

    A new vent hood would really change and update the room. Change the paint and backsplash.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Sorry, I gotta differ here and advise you, do NOT paint the cabinets. Aftermarket paint will not stand up to the test of time and will eventually wear/chip off on the spots that get the most touch. If you really hate the cabinets, replace them. If that is over budget, try adding hardware you really like plus other minor changes as suggested above.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hello Erika and congratulations on a new home! I would suggest not to rush into any big decisions right away...

    Start small: paint the merlot walls, pick out a shade from the wall tiles (if you keep the wall tiles) or from the floor.

    Bring beautiful vase with tall fresh flowers in the archway; add transitional hardware to the cabinets; add a colorful pendant above the sink... live with that..

    If you still dislike your kitchen, I suggest you change the doors to full overlay recessed panels ones. Good luck!

    erika672 thanked Lena Kroupnik Interiors
  • 11 years ago

    Walls white-ish. Upped cabs white-ish, Patterned or white backsplash, off black lowers.

    I agree the paint won't last, but it can be touched up and they don't look to be great cabinets.

    Fairly heavy metal hardware, not shiny.

    Rug in middle of room, maybe with a freestanding, small island.

    But as others said - I would wait.

    erika672 thanked janedoe2012
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You have to realize your Cabinets Builder grade Oak Cabinets (JUNK) for now I recommend paint wall ....No MAGIC if you paint your Cabinets it's still junk and cost to you as much as buy new Cabinets ....if you are try to change layout and install new Cabinets you must to do floor retrofit ....and replace counter tops ...I need more information before I can guide you in right direction. Send to me e-mail I need more pictures. .

  • PRO
  • PRO
  • 11 years ago

    Thank you everyone! It seems that everyone has a different opinion on what I should do. I will paint walls first and go from there. I just feel like its such a mixed up kitchen with all the brown, black, and grey. And just like 99.9% of everyone on Houzz I hate builder basic honey oak cabinets!! Do you think I should keep the vent above oven or put in a microwave? We will need to buy a microwave for the new house so I wasn't sure if we should get a small one for the counter/pantry or if we should get one for above oven.

  • 11 years ago

    Well, if you get a microwave, you'll have to replace the cabinet above, as it needs to clear the cooktop by a margin more than that under-cabinet hood would allow. That probably argues for a countertop model or for hanging it under a cabinet somewhere.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The kitchen is beautiful. If you painted the cabinets lighter, you can accent the dark countertops and appliances with silver cabinet hardware. Check out our store:

    http://www.houzz.com/pro/glideritehardware/__public

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Here is a photo of painted builder grade oak grainy cabinets. This was professionally sprayed (several coats) and a Valspar Primer and "Grain Kill" product used. I don't think you'll be happy with the kitchen unless you paint the cabinets. If you can modify a cabinet to make a shelf for a small microwave I think you would like that better than above the stove. Or modify a lower cabinet for a microwave drawer. I love the idea of a nice vent above the stove for a custom look.

    Painted Oak Cabinets · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    Its going to be amusing when in several years honey oak will be back in. Oh well

  • 11 years ago

    That's pretty kitchen darzy!! I just grew up with a white kitchen and it was always a happy bright place for the whole family so that what I gravitate to. I like oak- but on floors.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I agree that a pretty stove hood wood add to the kitchen. I am making that change myself right now. I agree to paint the walls. It looks like there is a lot of cabinetry. If you think you can live without all the storage, consider removing some of the uppers - I am seeing more kitchens with less upper cabinets - especially if there is a pantry to help with storage. If there is not a pantry then it just depends on how much stuff you have.

    A few shelves as in the first pic below give a chance to display some items and give personality to your kitchen. Removing cabinets rather than buying new ones might give you more money for a pretty backsplash and less cabinets to paint. You want to be careful of going from too much oak to too much white. Removing the panel in some of the upper cabinets and replacing with glass (clear or not) can also help avoid feeling "too much" oak or white.

    Consider adding some wood back in if you paint - flooring or shelving possibly.

    You can convert a cabinet to a plate rail / display shelf as in this picture. There is a plate rail kit from Kitchensource which is very easy to put together. Beadboard and brackets are added to give a custom look:

    Glass doors and pretty hardware:

  • 11 years ago

    I won't recommend painting over that ghastly red as its already been mentioned. If it were me I would immediately demo that does-nothing-for-the-room backsplash tile. But first, measure how many square feet you'll need (plus 10% + extra) and go shopping for some awesome tile. You can build your entire kitchen color palette now using that same awesome tile as a jumping off point. When you can afford it tackle the flooring next, and there are so many options in all price points. I actually don't mind the cabinets and think they need some great hardware to start with. I'm a confident DIYer & have painted my own, but not everyone can do this. Take the doors & drawers into someone who can professionally spray paint them for you. They must be top coated as well. This should carry you a few years down the road to the point were you can afford to replace them. You can replace the appliances when they're on sale, & get a better deal by buying them all at once. Have fun, it's a nice big looking space to work with.

    erika672 thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Congratulations on your new home-. I had the same experience when I bought my house. First- get the red out! Go lighter and neutral. Then add a lighting fixture over the sink and change your hardware

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Erika672

    There have been a lot of great ideas and opinions said already. Here are some of my favorite and a few new ones

    1. Paint the walls

    2. Paint the cabinets (diy or pro, they should last until you are ready for a full renovation.)

    3. Add handles ( it will help keep the painted finish cleaner)

    4. Change out the backsplash (not as expensive as you might think)


    Start out with the above and if budget allows continue with below.


    5. Change out the black appliances for white or stainless (you can reuse these later if you decide on a full renovation )

    6. remove the vent fan with the cabinet above and replace it with a nicer hood

    7. Replace the countertop with a stone or Quartz

    8. Replace some of the door centers with glass inserts


    I would do as much as possible before you move in. It will be harder to live through kitchen renovations once you are living there. You might get stuck with this kitchen for a while if you move in 1st

    Congratulations, good luck, and enjoy your new house.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Thanks RE3! We plan on being in this house for about 10 years but I don't think we will have the budget for a complete kitchen reno even by then (and if we do I'd probably just save it to build a new home). I'm not scared of diy. I've painted plenty of furniture before. The cabinets make me nervous because it's such a big job and will get plenty of wear. We did our current backsplash and that was a lot easier than I thought so I hope that is another small project we can do. As for the rest, I will probably have to choose between counters, floor, or new appliances but I can't have them all. I do like the idea of glass inserts- or maybe removing the 2 off-center cabinets and putting up some open shelves. We move in November so I'll post pics as soon as we make some progress!

  • 11 years ago
    I'd change the receptacle covers to blend with the backsplash
  • 8 years ago

    FYI this is where we are now... added crown molding and open shelves, painted walls, and painted backslash. These are just quick fixes to help it feel brighter until we can change more.

  • 8 years ago

    Looks a lot brighter. Consider using white appliances if the black ones need replacing.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, Yes, we are saving up for new appliances.

  • 8 years ago
    I'd say there's too much going on in terms of color - black, gray, brown, burgundy - and they don't really compliment each other. That's the main problem. I would suggest you try to limit it to two of those colors, probably black and gray. I would start by painting the walls a light gray to match parts of the flooring. Also, I don't think you'll ever be happy with those cabinets. It's worth the cost to have them painted white, or even have them replaced. If you are willing to spend more, go for a blue-gray or white backsplash, and add prints and decor in cool grays or blues. I'm not a pro but I hope this helps!
  • 8 years ago

    Molly, I just posted a picture of the changes so far...

  • 8 years ago

    erika, I think you made a big improvement. For the appliances, my vote goes to stainless.

    erika672 thanked chloebud
  • 8 years ago

    Way better! Happy that you used the white backsplash and paint. I think stainless steel would be great. And I'm not liking the cupboards for some reason. If you did some more open shelving like on the far wall, I think that would help.

    erika672 thanked Crazy Sadie
  • 8 years ago

    Oh, we hate our cabinets... they are cheap and the most annoying shade of orange!! But we can’t afford to get new ones so we will most likely paint them.

  • 8 years ago
    Omg I'm sorry! I didn't see lol. Nevermind
  • 8 years ago

    I feel like some cabinet knobs and pulls would do wonders for you. They would make those not so great cabinets into a little more likable.

    erika672 thanked colbran
  • 8 years ago

    An amazing transformation! And on a budget. Great job!

    erika672 thanked tneddog
  • 8 years ago
    Everyone is going with open shelves in kitchen. I’d hate all the dusting and cleaning you’d have to do to keep it looking nice. I’ll stick with cabinets.
    erika672 thanked rlaufen
  • 8 years ago

    Rlaufen, we are a family of 5 and those are our everyday dishes (even the colorful ones)... there isn't a chance for them to get dusty. The shelves are dusted the same as any other surface in my home.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What a difference a coat of paint on walls has made! Amazing job! I would suggest to add hardware and just enjoy your home!

    erika672 thanked Lena Kroupnik Interiors
  • 8 years ago

    That looks so much better - you’re doing great!

    erika672 thanked Jules M
  • 8 years ago

    You did a great job--great fix. Consider nickel hardware and under cabinet lighting. I'd add an indoor/outdoor rug in pale gray and gold and an accent color.

    Hermosa Indoor and Outdoor Cross Panel Gray and Gold Rug, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

    Hermosa Indoor and Outdoor Floral Tribal Ikat Ivory/Multi Rug, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

  • 5 years ago

    Paint over the red….probably two coats of paint, maybe three. Then save up enough money to redo whatever else you want to redo. I would include closing up the opening (or reducing it) which allows you to see the front door (and anyone entering the house to see into the kitchen) unless you are a clean-kitchen-fanatic and your kitchen always looks neat. You should hire a professional to paint the cabinetry, especially if they are in good condition and you intend to keep them for five years or more. The interiors should get a good cleaning, too.

  • 5 years ago

    Erika… if you want to paint your cabinets, check kristy wicks on Instagram. She had wood cabinets and had them painted white. I believe the entire process, used by her painter, is noted in her blog.