Software
Houzz Logo Print
heather_lord69

Furnished Guesthouse Doesn't Feel Like Home. Help!

11 years ago

I got this awesome deal where I live in a guesthouse RENT FREE, and in exchange I help out the young family in the adjacent house. AND it's located across the street from my college campus! Sweet deal, right? Only problem is that the guesthouse was decorated by someone else; it's not even remotely close to my taste! I want the space to feel like home but I can't may any permanent changes. No painting walls or furniture. This means I'm stuck with the ugly bedside tables, the ottomans, the outdated bed frame, and the gold sofa. I CAN change the bedding, throw pillows, artwork, and curtains.

I like my decor to be bright, colorful, urban, and trendy. I am typically drawn to cool tones. Here's my last apartment (before I added art) which I designed with a lot of thrift store/DIY tricks. Not perfect, but I liked it!

And here is my current space:

It's not terrible, but I kind of hate it!

Once I find better curtains, I'm planning on raising the curtain rods about a foot. I'd also love a gallery wall but I'd hate to put a ton of holes in the walls. I haven't made up my mind about that...

I've tried a sofa slipcover but it was a pain to keep tucking in, plus it was pretty pricey so I returned it. The sofa is a neutral camel color. It's nice, but I'm not used to working with warm tones so I'm struggling to work with the color.

I've already played around with the furniture arrangement (which is why some of the art/decor is oddly placed), but any suggestions are welcomed!

I still need to pick a color scheme. It has to match with the sofa's camel color. I love teal, coral, hints of metallics, mustard yellow, lime green, graphic designs and anything trendy.

Here is a virtual layout of the room so you can see the dimensions of all the furniture: http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/ecaed4b4-558b-4a02-a9cb-5861f09173e2

ANY advice/links would be much appreciated!!!

Comments (30)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I am not very clear on measurements. But here is what I learned on Christopher Lowell, he was great with small spaces. Plus some of my own thoughts.

    1. fold and put all the linens away somewhere, as you replace them. we should on replacing all and adding some new.
    2. What is your budget. I am great at shopping on a budget and you just need to vote on my ideas, I will take down as we go.
    3. Per CL, you should take the 3 tall cabinets (forgive I am on oxy, so sometimes brain burps and I either forget how to spell or forget the word all together) and use them to create a wall between your living and bedroom. you can turn some one way and some the other. To make life easy, use removable wallpaper to cover the backs. So now your bed has some privacy. i would double the nightstands or put them on one side of the bed to save space, you might need to shove bed against wall to make more room.
    4. Holes in walls can be filled in with aspirin, so not a problem. here are some simple ideas to place on the back of the cabinets or on walls for art etc.

    First you can put piece of molding, any color you wish to paint. very inexpensive ad just make sure it has a groove large enough to fit your art.

    Princess Street · More Info

    Second you can tack to wall cork:

    cork strip at Office Depot · More Info
    you can also cover these with wall paper or fabric.
    Buried Treasure - 21 Things You Didn't Know You Need from Michael's - Lonny · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Now I will give you some pillow ideas in your colors, blending with sofa and white. You may also look in my idea books. Once have tried repositioning cabinets and decided on styles and colors etc. we can look at the other things to be done.

    I have tons of these and others in these colors that go
    beaded, silky goes with anything or we can make it more of a central piece

    Beaded Green Tree Orange Art Silk 12"x12" Throw Pillows Cover, Money Tree · More Info

    everything currently comes in these graphics, we can get in many colors, patterns don't matter so much as long as outlines are white, though there are some black outlines.

    Loom and Mill 18" x 18" Green Damask Decorative Pillow · More Info
    do any of these strike your fancy? i will pull all down if not. figure we will use pillows as starter then can go to rugs, bed covers curtains. no? night!

  • 11 years ago

    I've never heard of Christopher Lowell. I'll have to look him up.

    I have lots of space in the armoire to store the unused linens. Not to worry!

    My budget is $300-$350, but if I can do it cheaper I'd be happy!

    The room is 18'9"x16'9". There is only one wall with windows so I'd hate to use the furniture to separate the spaces. I actually like the "open concept" space. I live on my own so I'm not too concerned with dividing the space for privacy purposes.

    Because my "landlord" lives so close, and because I wan't to respect the space and their generosity, I'd hate to use any shortcuts like aspirin, toothpaste or soap to fill in holes. I'll have to use spackling and a putty knife and do it proper. But I'd rather spend a few hours patching up holes, than living a year with blank walls! I'll just have to check to make sure the family still has some of the original paint (or knowledge of the paint color) so I can properly patch any holes I make.

    I like your art display ideas! I especially like using the molding to display multiple frames. I really like the eclectic look.


  • 11 years ago

    I like the money tree and the Loom and Mill pillows. I have four 18x18 pillows, so it'd be great if I could find covers for that size.

  • 11 years ago

    Also, I realize the homestyler link doesn't give measurements but if you click the explore button, you can choose to view in 3D. This might help you better conceptualize the space. Thanks again for your suggestions!

  • 11 years ago

    What a sweet deal for you! It is a cute, clean looking place.

    For the walls maybe try a wall sticker...easily on and easy off without a trace, are reusable and not very expensive. They have all kinds and you can customize sizes and colors.

    http://www.dezignwithaz.com/



    FYI....I am a landlady and if you put holes in the walls (hopefully only small ones) please just leave them when you move out. It is much easier to fix a hole than it is to fix a hole filled with toothpaste or aspirin or even Spackle. I account for the need to repaint when you move out in your damage deposit. So do the best you can to limit the holes and then live your life! have fun. I love my fixed up thrift store finds!


  • 11 years ago

    paths crossed on posts ... good for you for wanting to fix the holes and paint. Ask the landlord what they would prefer you do when you get near the end of the time there. Thank you for being an awesome renter!

  • 11 years ago
    I like the idea of wall decals but I've always felt that they were a bit juvenile. In the end, the owners may not want me to put any holes in their walls. I'll just have to have a discussion with them. Thanks for the landlord's perspective!
  • 11 years ago

    You could try the 3M hooks. We use them and they're great. Would you consider a linen gauze curtain hanging between living room and bedroom for just the length of the bed?

  • 11 years ago

    the reason i thought the divider was that you have glass doors. so, if you change your mind you could put the bed the other way and the cabinets at the head. or one side. the table at the base of the bed can also be used behind the couch if you like. i would also move one of the mirrors.

    Ok, back to pillows, i have removed the ones you did not like. so with the silky pillow, you could go:


    Beaded Green Tree Orange Art Silk 12"x12" Throw Pillows Cover, Money Tree · More Info

    Amazon.com - FablegentXH3003 - Elegant Decorative Throw Pillow Cover - Creative · More Info

    Decorative Pillow Covers | Designer Cushion Covers - The HomeCentric : 18x18 in · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    I have a friend who lives in a historic old home that still has its original picture railing and that is an idea we can all use. Picture railing was used to protect the plaster walls from nail damage and would work great in your situation. Plus it looks very chic. Google it.

  • 11 years ago

    Use Command Hooks for hanging pictures. No holes at all when you move. If you have an IKEA nearby you can pick up some very inexpensive fabric. You can use liquid starch to hang fabric as wallpaper. If you use havingfun's idea to use the wardrobes as room dividers you could apply fabric to the fronts without harming them. All you have to do is wash the wall or furniture when you take it down. Painter's cloths are cheap and great to use for curtains, etc. If you can sew you could make a simple slipcover for the headboard and footboard. I've seen drapery panels made from burlap with large stencils on it.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You have one too many closet/armoires for the space. (I know there is limited storage) Can the brown armoire move out?


  • 11 years ago
    Unfortunately nothing can move out. Especially large bulky items like the armoire. The family who owns the guesthouse has no where else to store it. If I were paying rent I might ask a landlord to put it in storage, but as I'm living here rent free, I'd hate to ask them to pay for storage.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If nothing can move out here is my suggestion for the furniture arrangement.

    Flip flop the bed and night stands with the the two large white armoires.

    Place them together and place the floor mirror on an angle in front of the armoire closes to the window.

    Move the dresser where the current TV console resides. Place TV on top.

    Move large brown armoire where the desk currently resides. Use as storage. Place desk and file cabinet (put file cabinet under the desk) behind the sofa. If need be place coat rack left of the desk. If room, you can move the sofa about a foot forward into the room. Move pics accordingly. Hang artwork (2 pics) over bed. Hang mirrors length wise next to dresser wall. (left side)

    Place chair and round table in front of bed.



  • 11 years ago

    Wow, I actually REALLY like your idea. I even mapped it out using that same floor plan website (http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/9a9162c1-8285-4e89-bbf4-15948c5a62f7). I was getting ready to start shifting things around when I realized that there is a large utility box behind where the floor mirror is currently. :( It is 26"x26"x6".

  • 11 years ago

    Here is another option. I think I like this because it puts the 'living' area closer to the windows and you can still get all the way around the bed to change the sheets.


  • 11 years ago

    Oooo! Options, option, options! Thanks!

  • 11 years ago

    I seem to be drawn to white bedding so I've ordered this comforter on amazon:

    I realize it's probably supposed to have a duvet cover, but I can always add that later.

    I've also ordered these shams:

    Now this on it's own is a LOT of white. The wood bed frame will help, but I was also thinking of getting a neutral tone bed sheets. I LOVE bamboo sheets (a bit pricey but they're from bedding heaven!) but I can decide between the ivory, taupe, and linen colors. There is also a beige option(not pictured). It's hard to tell when buying online, but I can always return things that don't work. What color should I pick??

    more pictures of the sheets here:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PMR8OH2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

    I also want to add a thick yarn crochet throw at the foot of the bed, but I can crochet this by hand to save on cost. This should also help break up the white.

    I was thinking of throw pillows in this color scheme:

    Mirabelle Suites · More Info


    Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    OR I could do the sea colored sheets?


    Ugh I'm so indecisive! Help!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Can you hang a pic over the utility box? A large canvas? Is the utility box too low for the bed?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Great Big Canvas website has many inexpensive art to choose from.


  • 11 years ago
    Yes, it's definitely too low. The bed would be string 6" off the wall. Maybe some elaborate diy headboard could cover it? But I'd run into the same issue as before with the armoire. I can't store the current headboard anywhere.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Please look into 3M Command products! You'll be so happy you did! They offer hooks off all sorts, in many styles and finishes. Even better are the Command Strips, they are either double-sided sticky strips or velcro-like strips that you can use to hang framed art, decorative items/plaques and mirrors (just be sure to check the weight each can hold and use enough on heavier items).

    I have moved twice in the last 4 years and I'm moving again October 1st. I just took down all the wall art this weekend, and no walls were damaged :) Even when I own my own home again, I'll always use 3M Command products! You can look them up online and find a local retailer, typically home improvement or craft stores carry the biggest selection.

    Good luck!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I love a small sofa or love seat at the foot of the bed! Position them so the sofa is centered on the bed, though. It's a great way to maximize your square footage and looks great too!

  • 11 years ago

    HI HEATHER, I love your old place and the creativity and style it shows. I like your quirky maverick approach. You clearly have style in spades. I think you just need to be creative again to put your own spin on a place which is essentially nice and has good bones. I think you need to disguise things you don't like, but in a way that doesn't offend or upset your landlords. Use your flair you have for colour and inject it in cushions etc. I would get some painters calico cream coloured clothes- get huge ones and completely cover the sofa's - or sew together some ikea cream or coloured cotton curtains, you can do so much with fabric. How about New York or London Bo-ho, which is essentially trendy and eclectic. Draw attention to the items you love and disguise things your not keen on, but do it in a way that doesn't look contrived. Think of it as getting ready for a night out with friends, you want to look great but look like it 'oh its just something I threw on at the last minute'. Have fun and trust your instincts.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the ego boost! Time to go make some decisions!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Lisa: Anytime I've used command hooks they either couldn't hold the weight (probably because I didn't read the weight limit), or they were so sticky that they were hard to remove/left damage on the walls. What brand method do you use?

  • 11 years ago

    ikea is definitely one of the most reasonable for duvets. And sage green things are easy to come by right now.

    i can save further on curtains, if you go to walmart and get the plain and very inexpensive, under $5, flat solid color twin sheets, the hemmed top can even run a pole through it. have used them tons of times. If they are not long enough, probably not by today's standards, use fabric glue to add decorative layers on. The polyester in the sheets that make them so uncomfortable to sleep in is what makes them perfect curtains. Also, i do not know if you need this but, they have king size pillow cases that i used as cushion covers once. Price is hard to beat. If you stick to solid colors they never look cheap.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!