Software
Houzz Logo Print
detox99

36" Miele KF 1913 SF MasterCool Bottom Mount Fridge/Freezer Opinions?

11 years ago

Hi Guys,


Getting ready to purchase the 36" Miele KF 1913 fridge/freezer as part of a Miele appliance combo. For the longest time I was set on the 36"SubZero but after looking at the Miele the interior of the Miele looked better.


1) Do you own the Miele fridge? Is it quiet?


2) Do you have an opinion on comparing the 36" Sub Zero with the 36" Miele?


Thanks,

Detox

Comments (6)

  • 11 years ago

    I have one on order. I went with it over the SZ for the above reasons, plus all my other appliances are Miele so I wanted a coherent look.

  • 11 years ago

    @ Rococogurl,


    I read the link lots of great information. Our other appliances are the new Miele Range (taking a chance on this new product but it looks amazing), Miele Combi-Steam oven and Miele Dishwasher. Right now Miele has a promotion on right now that nets a discount on a package deal and includes a 5yr warranty on all the items so seems pretty good.


    My biggest concern was around the compressors and noise. Size wise the two fridges seem pretty comparable. My understanding is that Miele uses variable speed compressors (new technology) and SZ uses the old school on/off compressors. So you would say that your Miele fridge a barely noticeable in terms of sound?


    Do you find the food zone control works well or is it more gimmicky? I noticed that the SZ tells you were to put certain foods with it 'cards' where as the Miele lets you choose and is supposed to adjust the humidty accordingly.


    Thanks again.

    Detox

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @detox - Good on you for the discount and warranty. Way to go.

    Barely noticeable is an apt description. As I said, occasionally you hear faint whirring noises which the manual describes as normal. You hear ice drop in the ice maker when that is going. That is to say it is not 100% silent. But it is mostly silent and very quiet. I don't see that as an issue. Whatever kind of compressor it has is a good compressor LOL. The vent on the bottom needs to be vacuumed btw.

    One thing I will say about the SZ. I HATED those food cards. I think that goes too far. I also didn't care for the slot which I viewed as a cleaning nightmare. But again, that's a very small matter to me.

    The Miele is the antithesis in that everything is flexible. There are 4 adjustments -- the main fridge, each of the 2 drawers and the freezer. You can set what you want.

    I had a 2-compressor Liebherr for 2 years and food kept very well in that fridge. However, I've never experienced the keeping quality of this fridge. I buy produce at the greenmarkets here so it often gets taken out of the paper baskets and put into brown bags. I put those into the crisper and -- without exaggeration -- I've never seen delicate foods like cherry tomatoes, strawberries or plums stay in great condition for such a long time. In the main fridge, chicken stock keeps perfectly for many days. I used to lose it in 3 days in the old fridge. I just kept with the default settings.

  • 4 years ago

    Avoid Miele Mastercool. Delivered New Mastercool with faulty door. the door gets stuck when closing and needs a hard push or slam to close. Miele refursed to acknolwedge this as defect and refused to fix it. The product is clearly faulty as the fridge in showroom does not have this problem at all. You are going to get poor quality and no warranty honour after purchase. Avoid Miele at all costs if you don't want defects from brand new.

  • 3 years ago

    Miele refrigerator is the least practical, most frustrating refrigerator I have had in 27 moves, renting and owning. Ridiculously overpriced and unnecessarily complicated. the house we purchased came with a full suite of Miele appliances and they all stress me out on a daily basis. Will trade for reasonably priced, reliable appliances at 1/10th the price.