Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Carpet - love or loathe?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

Some people love it, some can't stand it - but where do you stand on carpet?

Chelsea townhouse · More Info

Love it!
Loathe it!

Comments (53)

• Sarah
    8 years ago

I'm with Chris, carpet in bathrooms is too much, but in the bedrooms just right!

• teenytinyhouse
    8 years ago

Rugs and loose carpets that can be taken out for cleaning are nice, and provide the warmth you need in the UK winters. Fitted carpets collect so much dust and are so hard to clean. Don't get me started on fitted carpet in a bathroom! Give me wood, tiles or laminate. Something I can just swiff or mop clean. Easy!

• philip mills
    8 years ago
    The house we bought about 10yrs ago was fully carpeted, know we have solid oak flooring upstairs and downstairs fully tiled, easy to keep clean. Will never go back to carpets
  • bruket
    8 years ago

Anything but fitted carpets.

• Jen Tindall
    8 years ago
    I much prefer the appearance of solid wood flooring, but carpet is cosy and comfortable, and also cheap to buy and fit in comparison with wood, so I'm torn!
  • angelboyman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Carpet in upstairs in the bedrooms/landing. Carpet runner with brass rods up the stairs. Wood in the hall, utility, dining & kitchen. Carpet in the living room/snug. Stone in the bathroom. Victorian tiles in the porch. We have a lovely old parquet throughout the downstairs and it's hardwearing, but it's cold & hard in the living room.

• Anne Lorraine South
    8 years ago

Really disliked carpet until I moved into a retirement bungalow.. Now I'm won over and I'm even having carpet in my new conservatory!

• marivon1
    8 years ago

Hard floors throughout the downstairs of my property, all the same which are large granite tiles with upstands for skirting boards too so no painting of them (hurrah)! Would only have carpet upstairs and on the stairs and has to be the same carpet in all the rooms and the landing. Bathrooms are excluded of course and are tiled! All for continuity of course.

• chalkandbell
    8 years ago
    Carpet is nice and toasty but urgh....! it's also the most disgusting thing you can have in your house. If you've ever had your carpets professionally cleaned and seen what is extracted you'll know what I mean and would be put off having them forever!
  • Olena Tkach
    8 years ago

The only places where I love carpets are near the bed and in the bathroom. Just a small extra-fluffy and very soft carpets to place your bare feet on when you wake up or out of bath. In the rest of my house I prefere hardwood floors with no carpets at all.

• Yankee Doodle
    8 years ago

Have stone floor throughout entire downstairs. Since we had our first child 3 yrs ago we bought a large rug for living room as needed somewhere to get down and be comfy to play on....just this last Saturday we hired a carpet cleaner to clean it and the water that we emptied out the cleaner was filthy!!! ...and this is not high traffic area and only 3 of us in house!....Made me feel so glad I don't have carpet anywhere else to trap and harbour dirt and dust mites!

• Maddy
    8 years ago
    The UK is the only country I know where that loves carpets and wearing shoes inside ...a pretty disgusting combo I must say. Carpet is dirty, unhygienic, cheap and nasty..
  • teddismum
    8 years ago
    I think carpet tiles or rugs for bedroom, stair carpet of some sort on the stairs. Wooden, Laminate, Amitico or tiled floors rest of the house. Easy clean rugs if you really must...
  • Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

Only ever sisal - lovely.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm all for wooden floor boards and a nice rug to give the room so warmth and texture - carpets just don't do it for me!

• southernpointofview
    8 years ago

Well, I only have hardwood and split brick pavers throughout my home, but lots of oriental rugs and seagrass rugs.

• PRO
    Colchester Flooring Ltd
    8 years ago

Carpets turn a house into a home.

• Lauren
    8 years ago

Ugh I hate carpets, I have allergies and no matter how often they're hoovered I end up bunged up and sneezing! Wooden floors with flat weave rugs you can chuck in the washing machine work well for me.

• PRO
    Carpet and Flooring Concepts
    8 years ago

Love carpets they insulate a room and reduce noise. I sell all types of flooring and most of my home is carpet. That said as a mother of two children under eight and we have two Tibetan terrier carpet it is what suits our family.

• PRO
    Hoopers Carpets
    7 years ago

Carpets make a huge difference to the acoustic properties of a room and the feeling of warmth.

• info77391
    7 years ago

I think you need to get out more

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Carpets are always a good choice for home flooring, versatile and adaptable and with more choice of colours and materials than ever!

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    The Carpet Shop
    7 years ago

We fid our customers love carpet

• PRO
    Flawless Finish
    7 years ago

We find our customers love carpet

• PRO
    The Carpet Man (Wallingford)
    7 years ago

I love carpet. Wish i could have it at home, but unable to. Always a bit jealous when i see a customers newly fitted carpet.

• PRO
    Carpet and Flooring Concepts
    7 years ago

Carpet love it ,warm , keeps down the noise level and so much choice of colours types and patterns

• PRO
    Forbes Claymore
    7 years ago

Soft carpet every time.

• PRO
    AUKA interiors
    7 years ago

they are very cosy

• PRO
    justin2carpetsrugs
    7 years ago

We find our clients love carpets in their modern home.

• PRO
    Carpet Interiors
    7 years ago

We find that our clients love the comfort of carpet!

• PRO
    Tom Dempsey Flooring
    7 years ago

Where comfort is important our clients much prefer carpets

• PRO
    Fenland Carpets and Flooring Ltd.
    7 years ago

Even though Karndean is very popular you can't beat the super soft carpets now on show!

• PRO
    Henne
    7 years ago

Carpet

• PRO
    Ledbury Carpets and Interiors
    7 years ago

We find the right carpet for the right use makes sure it's always love!

• PRO
    Isidora Markovic
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Solid wood flooring throughout the ground floor, with the exception of in the kitchen and bathroom, where tiles are preferable. Carpet in the bedrooms is more snug. Although carpets are a lot harder to clean than wood/laminate/tiles, they do wonders for the acoustics of a room etc. It also depends on whether we're talking about carpet in a house or flat - I would take less issue with having a carpeted living room in a flat than in a house. All in all, I don't mind, as long as it's not in the bathroom or kitchen!

• PRO
    Perkins Stockwell & Co Ltd
    7 years ago

Our clients love carpet.

• PRO
    Love Shutters UK
    7 years ago

Wood flooring downstairs but Carpet upstairs.

• PRO
    Hambleton Decorating Ltd
    7 years ago

There are some absolutely beautiful carpet designs which I love to use. Avena Carpets, Simon Playle, Parsua, Braquenie at Pierre Frey, Stark Carpets and Tim Page all have interesting designs worth pursuing. I also love using antique carpets.

• PRO
    Design Storey
    7 years ago

Definitely hard surfaces all the way - you can refinish them when they get tired and are really practical for children/pets/outdoors lifestyle. We used a mixture of new polished concrete, exposed flagstones and original elm boards at our miner's cottages and don't find it cold or austere.

Miner's Cottage II · More Info

• PRO
    Lift & Load London
    7 years ago

We much prefer old exposed wooden flooring

• PRO
    beautifulflooring
    7 years ago

Stunning styles, warmth and comfort what's not to like.

• PRO
    Morgan & Quinn Ltd
    7 years ago

As long as you choose from the correct manufacturer, we would have to say LOVE!

• PRO
    Dentons Carpets Limited
    7 years ago

We find our clients love carpet!

• lisa77226
    7 years ago
    Floorboards downstairs with rugs, carpet upstairs. Water proof materials in bathrooms, so no carpets!
  • PRO
    Carpet Interiors
    7 years ago

Recent job of ours - cosy carpets! Perfect case for the LOVE!

• PRO
    Cerberus Doors
    6 years ago

I don't like hoovering so it's a loathe from me!

• PRO
    Cambium Floors
    6 years ago

Our choice would be wood flooring.

• sarah67534
    6 years ago

We recently put in carpet tiles in our livingroom, so we have to say LOVE. http://www.bricoflor.co.uk/flooring/carpet-tiles/schatex.html