Software
Houzz Logo Print
hyla9dezign

Why can't I pin any photos from houzz to Pinterest?

11 years ago
I get some awesome ideas and inspiration from houzz, and find some unique furnishings and decor. I love saving these to pinterest in various categories. I would have loved to save this to my pinterest category "modern furniture love"... but it seems pinterest doesn't have any pinnable photos. Any reason why?
Monarch Specialties Dark Taupe Reclaimed-Look 55" Modern Bookcase · More Info

Comments (66)

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Cmon Houzz, don't be so closed minded. Don't frustrate your users.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Rather than have a Pinterest board, you can have a HOUZZ board. What's the difference? Instead of going to Pinterest, just go to Houzz, and see all your favorites SAVED there! It's just as easy. I have the same boards I would have on Pinterest, on Houzz. Same difference. Get over it. The person above is correct..why would houzz want to direct you to Pinterest. It's like Apple directing you to a Windows store.

  • 10 years ago

    Agree- used to always use Houzz as a tool. Now rarely look at it because it's too frustrating. Houzz is only a tool unto itself. Why would I buy a hammer that can only pound nails that are made by that hammer manufacturer? It renders the hammer useless most of the time. Goodbye Houzz.

  • 10 years ago

    I too am frustrated that I can't pin from Houzz to Pinterest. It seems short-sighted to expel yourself from the greatest source of viewers out there... I thought maybe it was just me, but I see that's not true. No offense, Houzz, but I want a single place to organize my ideas and that is going to be Pinterest. Either you play a part or you don't.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    BIG difference Kendallreid. Big. Ease of use comes to mind first!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You can take a picture of the screen with your smart phone.

  • 10 years ago

    Use PrtSc to Paint, saved it then pin it.

  • 10 years ago

    I was using Houzz long before Pinterest came around. However I do use Pinterest for many things other than home decorating/design ideas, such as recipes, sewing and quilting ideas/patterns, travel ideas etc. I will join the ranks here who would prefer to be able to Pin things from Houzz, but that doesn't mean I will stop using Houzz - different applications for different applications!

  • 10 years ago

    Well I figured out a work around for me. I had to save it to google+, then right click (search web for image) and pinned it from there. Will keep working on it. Only took me a sew seconds.

  • 10 years ago

    Jeanna, when you did this were you still able to click on your saved pin and have it successfully direct you to houzz? I want to be able to pin the decor pics found here and have them lead me back to Houzz incase I decide to buy what I've pinned.

  • 10 years ago

    I save whatever to their (Houzz) board but then I drag it to my desktop, upload it to Pinterest without Houzz getting any credit then I delete it from Houzz board.

  • 10 years ago

    I love Houzz and any time I find a picture I want to pin, I would rather direct my followers, or anyone else seeing the pic, to houzz instead of someone elses pin board or worse to some site that tells you nothing about the photo, designers, suppliers etc. But Houzz won't let me do this. It's ridiculous. I want to promote Houzz and often have, esp. on Facebook, ever since I first started using Houzz.

    Like I've said before, I want to redirect my pins to houzz. I hate finding a pin of any kind that leads me nowhere, or to a site that tells me nothing about. I want to know more about the pin and Houzz is a great place to redirect my fellow pinners. I know I'm not alone in this.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It's really unfortunate because Houzz makes it so easy for us to share our work. It would be nice If we could share our houzz work/ideas on pinterest, but I guess we'll have to do it the old-fashioned way!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I suspect that they see pinterest as a competitor. it's very annoying.

  • 10 years ago

    So bummed as well, it's ridiculous that I can't pin from Houzz!! I pin things all of the time for my clients and they often buy items directly from the pined site. Now I have to send my clients two sets of pins, one from pintrest and one from Houzz. Its annoying and a pain. I wish would allow they would get way more purchases.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    r co....I'm not able to understand your suggestion. I've saved to both 'ideabooks' and 'your saved photos' but don't have results when attempting to drag to desktop. What is the houzz 'board'?

  • 10 years ago

    Here's a really easy work-around (unfortunately, no credit for Houzz, so they cut off their nose, so to speak): Copy the item & save to your PC; on Pintrest, select "Choose a Pin" and dialog box opens which says "from Web" or from Device", choose DEVICE & download...it's very easy!

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    dac0302: thought for a sec that it was working as it showed being uploaded. However, still got that annoying "Oops! Uploading that image didn't work. Please try again."

  • 10 years ago

    I would assume it is because they consider Pinterest a competitor. You are right though, Houzz would be a great source of Pins!

  • 10 years ago

    I screenshot and post to pinterest and then Houzz just ends up losing out completely. It's ridiculous that they encourage sharing to other websites but not pinterest. Everything on the web is public domain so this limitation is just annoying and probably costs them so much traffic each day.

  • 9 years ago

    So frustrating Houzz. Stop with shortsighted behavior. Your users will do what they want, with or without you.


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I asked Houzz directly about a year ago why no pinning is allowed. Their response:

    "When
    you pin something to Pinterest the information about the designer, architect,
    builder, photographer etc. does not always come with it and quickly gets
    diluted as it gets shared and re-pinned. Houzz is really passionate about
    making sure the people that do the work get credit for it - especially since a
    really large portion of the people spending time on Houzz are homeowners
    looking for someone to build, renovate or redecorate their home. These
    homeowners are primarily finding their professionals via their photos on Houzz,
    so by stripping this information on Pinterest we feel we would be doing our
    professional a dis-service by enabling this via Houzz."


    For those who save a screenshot and then pin it, a link back to the Houzz web page can be added afterwards. Copy the URL of the Houzz page the photo came from, then edit the pin and paste the URL in the Website field to replace the image file name, then save the pin.

  • 9 years ago

    Dear Houzz, this is plain wrong and ridiculous. Very sad. That's not how it should be. You surely loose here.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, very irritating. I'm going to try two or three of the workarounds others have found because I need to see all my stuff together and now it is fragmented.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Glad we we'rent the only ones having this problem!

  • 9 years ago

    What up Houzz? No fun zone? No Pin zone?

  • 9 years ago

    I too have found this very frustrating. I love the House app and find many inspirational photo's, designers and contractors....would love to share with the Pinner world!

  • 9 years ago

    I used to be able to Pin via Google +. This method no longer works

  • 9 years ago

    Same here. Used to visit houzz often; but it seems like they are "dug in" on the issue of not making their photos "Pin-able". As others have noted; could be a win-win for H. and there are ways around it which gives them NO credit or click backs if I really want to pin something; but won't encourage their stance on this by saving to H. any longer.

  • 9 years ago

    Another wrinkle in the mystery about why we can't pin houzz items is that they do allow and even encourage embedding pins to a blog or saving them to Facebook, Google or Twitter. Why would those things be OK and Pinterest be blocked? Some people smarter or more patient than me have figured out to do it because I read a great article on laundries today that I found on Pinterest and linked back to houzz. Except when I do find a pin and click the link I don't come to this site anymore.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Because Houzz is a stupid orginazation, i remember having a conversation back in 2013 regarding the fact you aren't even able to download any pictures. I think this is very shortsighted. If I want I take a screenshot so what's the point is this ridiculous protectionism.... Were living 2017 not 1980.

    I think everyone should just abandon H for being so ridiculous!!

  • 9 years ago

    I probably should not comment again but here goes. The google + method does work but it will not link you back to the Houzz article or page. Under the photo that you like there is a google plus option. It opens to google plus and then you can pin the picture. Not perfect but you can pin something you like :)

  • 9 years ago

    @tina715: I would suggest *not* pinning an image directly from a google (or other search engine) search or via google+, mainly because, as you said, there is no link back to the web page the image originally came from, which, in turn, can be frustrating for other Pinterest users, because they may want to see or read more about the image.

    As I said in a previous post, you can save a screenshot of an image from the Houzz website to your computer (use the Snipping Tool utility in Windows) and then pin it. Copy the URL of the Houzz web page on which the image is located, then edit the pin you just created and paste the URL in the Website
    field to replace the image file name, then save the pin.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much to those who described how to pin first to G+ and then from there to pinterest. I tried it today and Alleluia! it works! I haven't come to Houzz in a long time, probably over a year to look for ideas because of this short sighted policy. Don't they realize that thousands and thousands of people use pinterest to save ideas from all over the web and we don't want to have to have separate files just for houzz? It's a shame and if I was a pro posting pictures here in hopes of finding customers, I would be up in arms. I can't link back to them on their houzz posts which stinks but I can at least save the idea now. Hopefully when houzz gets new management eventually, this problem will be fixed.

  • 9 years ago

    I finished my house reno a couple of years ago and I used Houzz at first, but then switched to pinterest because my architect wanted to share boards there with me. It was great then - I could use both interchangably. Now I'm starting a renovation on my summerhouse and houzz is useless to me because I have so many boards started on pinterest and I'm using lots of of them for this reno too. If I can't pin houzz pics to pinterest, I'll just use google instead.

    C'mon houzz - get your act together. You are really making people mad here! And it's losing you customers.

    Sandy Rubinfeld thanked jjacobsnyc
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I agree, if i'm collecting ideas for a project I want them all together, and Pinterest would allow that. Except for Houzz. And it isn't like directing someone to another competitor site, if someone is viewing my pinterest board and clicks on an image they like, it would take them directly back to Houzz, so it is actually promoting their site. It's a shame they don't see it that way.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Ok I get that Houzz wants to direct traffic to their site so the contractors and designers get credit; and when I pin an image from another site I will type in a description of the source, but obviously Houzz is not considering how much traffic Pinterest could provide if they would allow pinning. I'll usually just skip Houzz links because they are too much trouble. And don't suggest that I manage two boards, one for Houzz and one for Pinterest! Just what we need...another rabbit-hole.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I just submitted this to Houzz.

    I would like to be able to pin images found on Houzz to my
    Pinterest boards. Please take a look at this Houzz conversation I found.

    [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/why-cant-i-pin-any-photos-from-houzz-to-pinterest-dsvw-vd~3404382?n=55 [(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/why-cant-i-pin-any-photos-from-houzz-to-pinterest-dsvw-vd~3404382?n=55%25252525C2%25252525A0)

    I'm not the only one, this would also benefit Houzz because
    all of the pins connect back to Houzz. Pinterest has 150 million monthly users!
    Please consider this. Thank you Robbie Maynard ASID, CCIDC

    Everyone here should send this to Houzz and see if we can make this happen!
    Go to the bottom of the page and select Contact Us.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Robbie Interiors, I sent the a direct email regarding this with no response. I believe others have too.

  • 9 years ago

    @Robbie Interiors and @Sunray: In case you didn't see it, refer to my post on this thread back in October, 2016, where I've copied Houzz's response to my email.

    Just a thought: What if Houzz were to add the relevant company's website address (or request companies to add it, depending on how the photos are sourced) to a corner of photos (without marring the image like watermarks can)? If, after pinning has been allowed, even if there's no link back to Houzz, at least Pinterest users who want to know more can then use the website address to get more information and thus be potential new clients for the company or provide more publicity if content is shared directly from the company's website.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Thanks @ozmerry, I had not seen it - I'm not sure I understand Houzz's response though... they are concerned about frustrating other Pinterest users but not the actual Houzz users? It seems something like your idea would be a good place to start.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Thank you @ozmerry and @Sunray it looks like Houzz just does not want to let us Pin. I'm happy they responded to some of us, I did not get a response. Pinterest has 150 million monthly users, Houzz is losing business for themselves and their professionals by not letting us Pin. I have been using Pinterest since the begining all pins would lead back to Houzz.

  • 8 years ago

    I understand the need to protect their designers and contractors but that doesn't explain why you can't pin products sold on their website. This is lost revenue...

  • 7 years ago

    What I did was take a photo from the desktop screen with my iphone and then share the picture with Pinterest and was able to pin it to my bathroom remodel pin page. It worked, but the resolution (of course) is not as good as it could be.

  • 7 years ago

    It is incredibly frustrating not to be able to pin from Houzz. I like their ideas but prefer to keep all my "liked" ideas in one place--on my pinterest boards (vs. saved ideas on Houzz AND Pinterest). I'm just not going to bother with Houzz at this point. I don't want multiple saved "likes" for future ideas--I'm sticking to one, and it's going to be Pinterest.

  • 7 years ago
    Wake up Houz Advertizers....
    If they would “share” with Pinterest we consumers would be much more likely to find the source we are looking for when doing a project!
  • 7 years ago

    I'm with everyone above who would like to be able to pin things to Pinterest directly from Houzz. We are building a house and I am using Pinterest to keep ideas all in one place.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I'm assuming they have a good reason, I have boards and idea books on both, It's fine. Perhaps to them its like us pining from Nordstrom on to Bloomingdales website..?? are they compeditors? if that's the case we can all understand that.

  • 7 years ago

    Except that the effect is to make me not look at what's available on Houzz. Doesn't seem like they would want to drive away customers.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Good point Garden Nut! I create client boards on Pinterest and it would be nice to have everything together. Houzz has lots of users and is useful in different ways than Pinterest, many of my clients use Houzz to get ideas but are not on Pinterest. I have also found it easier to share products and photos from Houzz with my clients.