Software
Houzz Logo Print
ahelton142

Angela

13 years ago
I just bought a home with 9x12 kitchen it's just a straight walk thru kitchen. I want to update it. The cabinets are a medium wood. What color countertop and walls would you suggest. It has one small window so do I need light colors?

Comments (24)

  • 13 years ago
    The parquet floors will be staying . They are the old style good hardwood 6 inch. The wall paper is coming down. Want to give it a little pizazz .
  • 13 years ago
    Darken the floor
  • 13 years ago
    Well I have this floor also in the breakfast room and the den so it would cost too much to redo so I plan to take wallpaper down and paint. I've already had one wallpaper nightmare home lol. What would you suggest for the backsplash to brighten it up.?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    don't forget to change up the cabinet hardware, too! a great place for pizzazz.
  • 13 years ago
    Granite is too expensive so what other type would you suggest? And what color is greige
  • 13 years ago
    Yes I do plan to change the hardware any suggestions?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What may help you more than light colors is good lighting! I would paint the cabinets white or pale green and change the countertops, to either neutral or black. With your new countertops, you'll need an undermount sink and a nice big new shiny faucet. Kitchen faucets have really changed in the last few years!

    An interesting backsplash will help, as will undercabinet lighting and recessed lighting above the countertops, 18" out from the walls. New cabinet hardware will work wonders, preferably in brushed nickel.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    Decatur Bungalow New Galley Kitchen · More Info
    Cape Cod- Victoria · More Info
    Riptide · More Info
    Grohe Single Handle Pull Down Dual Spray Kitchen Faucet · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Not sure the hubby will let me paint the cabinets? We trying to keep expenses down as much as possible as I have other rooms that will need attention also. But great ideas thanks
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Convince him! Paint will give you a dramatic change and with care, you could even do it yourselves.
  • 13 years ago
    I do like your ideas lol.
  • 13 years ago
    I suggest painting the walls a light muted blue-green such as sherwin Williams "Rainwashed". This is a warm shade which will complement the warm wood tones. I'd then paint only the lower cabinets in a darker version of the blue/green. This would break up the wood look of the floor and upper cabinets. Be sure to update the cabinet hardware with something more current. Remove window coverings from the window if privacy isn't an issue, in order to maximize natural light. Paint the window trim to match the darker blue-green shade. Not sure abt colors for the countertops?
  • 13 years ago
    Carolyn I loved your pics. Think one of those will be my new kitchen yay. I saw some pendant lighting that I wanted to incorporate in my kitchen and didn't know how . Thanks.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Please don't paint those cabinets.... Pick a nice medium color solid counter that coordinates with flooring ...if you pick a granite or something with colors...keep them close together so it's not too busy , paint the wall in entry in the same family as counter so it will marry well. Yes, NEW hardware & faucet that go nicely together will add updating .... &decide ahead what new appliances will look like , I think black appliances & rust colored counters with a lighter cream on walls ... Then a lighter rust color on walls in entry & matching rug runner !
  • 13 years ago
    Do you have images I can see. I can't picture this . I want to eventually get stainless appliances
  • 13 years ago
    And what are you calling the entry?
  • 13 years ago
    I wanted to put in a bar in the kitchen somehow. Any suggestions the room straight ahead in this pic is a breakfast room. . It's 12x 14 . To the left is beautiful double windows overlooking gorgeous view of rolling hills so I won't to stay away from blocking that. I'll put a pic of that room on here so you can see what it looks like. I'm wondering should I take out those two small walls and open it
    Up?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    True Residence · More Info

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think you should paint the cabinets. The floor is beautiful, but in the kitchen, the cabinets and the floor are competing for attention. In your ideabook (yeah, I peeked!) you saved a lot of painted cabinets. So you must like them even a little. Why not show your husband some of them? There is one in there that almost looked like your kitchen with granite tops and white painted cabinets and wood floors.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, absolutely yes you should take out that wall between the 2 rooms! Just think of the natural light that will flood into the kitchen from the window in your breakfast room. And the view which will become visible from the kitchen! Your space will seem much more than doubled. That's the starting point you should work from in making your plans. You can then "borrow" space from the dining area if desired. Perhaps for a small coffee bar along one wall nearest the kitchen? Or for a hutch or cupboard to give you extra kitchen storage? How about a little breakfast bar with a view? I do vote for painting at least some of the cabinets, but if you aren't ready for that commitment, paint all of the trim and the walls a light color to brighten up the space. Perhaps some kind of rug to break up all of the browns of the wood floor and cabinets?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, ahelton142, I totally agree with jolieblue that you have a great opportunity awaiting you if you'll remove those two walls at the end of the kitchen and let the 12 x 14 breakfast room join the 9 x 12
    kitchen. Then you can add almost anything you want! Chance is smiling at you, and your splendid view from an updated kitchen is the payoff.

    What a lovely space you'll have once you get rid of the old wallpaper, the very dated chandelier, and the overdone window covering that covers up part of the view.
  • 13 years ago
    Painting the cabinets is a pain, but it will be worth it. It's not costly, just time consuming. If you don't paint them, the kitchen will remain looking the way it is and obviously you're not happy with that.
  • 13 years ago
    Another vote for painting those cabinets. I just don't think they look good with the floor. Good luck with your new kitchen - can't wait to see the after pics.
  • 13 years ago
    I had the same cabinets as yours and used rustoleum transformations to paint them white. It took a weekend and they look great. the cost was $78 for the kit plus my time. I also painted the island black with the same product. Love it