Software
Houzz Logo Print
diymama2two

French chalk wash - what is it?

11 years ago
Hi I love the color of the wood on the bed. Can you tell me more about how that color was achieved?
French Chalk Wash · More Info

Comments (2)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    It's a bit of a process, get your pencil ready...

    All of the boards we dragged backwards across a running band-saw blade to give them the texture of rough-sawn oak, then we sanded them with 150 grit. We applied a light brown dye stain (4 parts brown, 2 parts yellow, 12 parts care reducer) You then spray that with a sealer coat reduced 100%. Then we applied the french chalk paint (old white) that was also reduced 100% with a spray gun. We then dry brushed it (basically dragging a dry paintbrush while it is still wet) and allowed it to dry. Lastly the final coat is another sealer coat reduced 100%. This gives the final finish zero sheen but protects the wood and allows all the texture and depth to come through.

  • 11 years ago

    Wow, thank you for all that detail! That is an amazing process. Do you recall the type of wood that was used? I am hoping to achieve a similar color on a freshly-built pine structure. I doubt that you used pine; I'm OK with ours being a little more knotty/grainy. Your wood "curtains" are fabulous - what a great idea. Again, thank you for the details!