cplover

Kohler Choreograph?

cplover
October 5, 2015

So we are planning on adding a tiny master bathroom to our home. Hubby is dead set against tile and in looking for alternatives, I have found Kohler Choreograph. Has anyone seen or used this product? Looks promising, but am hesitant to try it since it is so new and fairly pricey. I would prefer to use tile, but hubby is sick of grout, so this maybe a compromise to acrylic/fiberglass unit.

• jswander01
    Thanks H B. Reading the instructions will be my next step! (I’ve enjoyed your earlier posts and I’m glad you’re still checking in on this thread).
  • Lucy

We installed choreograph walls and love them. They are easy clean with just a wipe. We used the recommended glue and braced the walls to create firm adhesion. Left over night or two. We like them so much, we are in the process of putting them in our new lake house.

Kohler Choreograph

check out the Kohler page on Choreograph http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Choreograph-Shower-Wall-and-Accessory-Collection/content/CNT116700120.htm?#

Kohler Choreograph - major problem - need alternatives

Unfortunately, my contractor and husband had an excruciating time putting in these Kohler walls. They said it was literally "HELL"! Our applications was in an bath/shower combo alcove that is the same width as the bathroom and the walls are installed from top of tub to ceiling. The problems: 1) The back wall had to be cut precisely (which the contractor did a fabulous job) to exactly fit into the back wall "square" without damaging walls, top of bathtub and Choreograph. VERY difficult with ZERO clearance around the wall and ceiling!! 2) After applying the construction adhesive to the back of the panel (once the 4 dry fit sessions were completed) and the silicone to the corners to apply the corner trim, carrying that "monster" wall and trying to install it without getting adhesive and silicone all over their hands was IMPOSSIBLE! It was an absolute mess!!! Adhesive and silicone get all over the Choreograph, their hands, and the walls and bathtub!! Also, even though they taped the corner trim to the back wall to make installing easier, it was a HUGE fail. The trim kept sliding and/or pulling off. I FELT HORRIBLE for these guys. It took 2, 8 hour days just to get the back wall successfully in place and another day for the other 2 walls...meanwhile, the silicone is everywhere and the top of the bathtub was damaged! I hope we'll be able to clean up the walls ok without damaging the metal corner trim...and I pray the finished product will look ok. But, WHAT AN ANXIETY RIDDLED experience!!! Never again in our application. It would probably be easier if we had not decided to put the wall all the way to the ceiling over a tub. Maybe over a tub pan and not to the ceiling application would be a whole lot easier!!! I apologize about the duplicate photo below. After I accidentally uploaded it, I can't find where to delete the extra photo.

Second floor hall bath - Acrylic vs. cast iron

I second gracie01’s American Standard tub suggestion. I have two that are original to my house, circa 1993, and they look almost brand new. Cambridge Integral Apron Bathtub Cast iron can't keep up. Americast® is our revolutionary alternative to cast iron that's more durable, lighter and costs less to install. This traditionally styled, integral-apron bathtub features a beveled headrest, lumbar support and a StanSure slip-resistant surface. Alcove installation. Learn more about Americast. Americast® is our proprietary, revolutionary alternative to cast iron that’s more durable, lighter and costs less to install. Thanks to inherent manufacturing advantages, Americast bathtubs can be made deeper, flatter and roomier than their cast iron counterparts. Americast construction Glossy porcelain finish Full slip-resistant surface ADA compliant with seat installed at head end NEW and IMPROVED StanSure™ slip-resistant textured surface that is: Easier to clean and stays cleaner longer A brighter, white textured surface that is more visually appealing Covering 56% more of the tub floor to help increase bathroom safety Specs DIMENSIONS: Length - 60" Width - 32" Depth - 17-3/8" American Standard Cambridge tub

Solid surface shower floor?

If you have a standard size shower, Swanstone, Corian, Transolid, Kohler Choreograph, and many others make non-custom solid surface shower pans. The Grifforms link that was posted above will give you the option of a solid surface pan by Corian in any size. You need info on what a true “solid surface” shower pan is. It can have any scratches or other damage sanded or buffed out because the same material you see on the outside goes all the way through the pan. A search on this forum (top of page) can take you to threads on solid surface showers (you can get walls, too!). Also go to the thread titled “Kohler Choreograph?” in this forum using the search box and you can see the Swanstone, Choreograph, and Transolid showers that some of us have done. Some companies sometimes claim to be solid surface when they are not. They have a gel finish or other topcoat to make them shine. These may not have as long a life as true solid surface showers. Marbleite and The OnyxCollection are two examples of that.
  • Javon Steffen

I am almost done with a big house remodel. And we used the choreograph white one the long wall in our master (the glass wall partition isn't installed yet) and in our spare alcove shower. Both look great! It took some finding to get a qualified installer in my area and a couple of the trim pieces came in a little scuffed. I found replacements at home depot that worked just fine. I also got a sample of the choreograph ahead and paint matched it for the paint throughout my whole house. It looks so clean. I also ordered a few extra panels and used them as a backsplash. I haven't seen anyone use it for this method before so it was a little risky but so far it's been really easy to clean up and flows well.

I used a lot of these threads in my research so I wanted to share a few more pictures of how it can look.

• Javon Steffen

I am finishing up a house remodel (my first and probably only but I loved how much I got to learn). And I used these threads in a lot of my research. I used the choreograph white for a long wall in my master shower/tub area (the glass partition wall hasn't been installed over the curb yet), a spare bath alcove shower, and even a backsplash. I actually got a sample ahead of time and color matched for the paint that went through the whole house. It keeps colors very cohesive and lets the architecture of the design be the focus I think. Since it's still such a new product I wanted to share how it can look in some different configurations. So far I've loved it, the ease of cleaning, and the matte finish.

• Karen Mikolainis

Has anyone used the textured choreograph, like this?

• Nancy in Mich

Debbie, I would start thread in the forum to ask this, since so few people on this thread have done Swanstone. More will see it there.

• adrw

I am wondering if anyone has used these Choreograph panels (trimmed as necessary) to fit above the walls of an existing tub in lieu of tile? We have an old tub, grandfathered in size and could not fit a newer tub in the space and still have a door of a reasonable size, so plan to keep the tub and do something to make the walls more waterproof and cleaned up. I had been looking at the Choreograph white panels (know they won't "match") and found this thread. Thanks for all the super helpful attention to details and general information. Has anyone framed out a tub enclosure with these panels? Any particular advice in this case? Assume the base would have to be calked to the tub, which has a small lip against the walls. Thanks, Anne

• H B

We have choreograph above a tub (photos very early in this thread with the purple trimmed grohe fixtures). Choreograph has very good instructions, they probably address the tub to wall intersection. Happy to post more photos if you like. And we have kohler acrylic tub (both white) and no, they don’t match, choreograph is slightly grayer. Installed nearly two years with two teen girls pretty much living in the bathroom LoL.

• Christina Rowley

H B and anyone else with both Swanstone and Kohler - if you had to do it over again, which would you select?

We‘re looking to redo our whole master bathroom, which is long and narrow (5ish ft x 8/10ish ft). I’m looking to do it in a gray color scheme, so gray wood-looking vinyl tile floors with light gray vanity and light counters. Our shower is 36x60 and we’re looking to do a semi-frameless sliding glass door. There are so many options that it’s overwhelming! Thanks in advance!

• H B

I’ll share my thinking, as I did each for different reasons....the choreograph we used is “white” which is actually slightly grey (get samples if this is important to you; although Koehler can he horribly slow, like months, in being able to ship these....it’s possible to purchase 12” square samples to get a large enough piece to be useful). We did that bathroom first. (Tub and choreograph kit surround)

Then with our second bath, I didn’t want white, so got Koehler samples in some of the vein etc. and realized that the pattern was not through the material, which I was concerned that in the event of a scratch, it would look very obvious. Swanstone material is through (I don’t know the correct expression for it) so that was preferable. Think we used their color called tundra. (Koehler cast iron shower pan, swanstone kit walls, no niches used, used choreograph handrails) I think the tundra is quite a nice white and grey fake stone looking swirl pattern. (Ymmv) we used Koehler sliding glass (not frameless) because it was the right price point for our needs and have been very happy wth it.

both are easy to keep clean. I didn’t consider tile because I hate grotty looking grout (and don’t care to clean it) and after reading too many gardenweb stories, did not trust any tiler doing shower walls. Both Koehler and swanstone have clear directions for handling and installing the material, which is worth reading through and ensuring whoever installs, follows the directions.

Good luck deciding!

• Nancy in Mich

HB, I thought your Swanstone shower was done in Ice? I almost chose Swanstone (deciding between Tundra and Ice, depending on what the rest of the room ended up with) but their ADA base did not come in a deep enough size. I chose a completely new company to me, Transolid, only because their ADA base was 37.75" deep before the walls went up.

• H B

Nancy, you are probably correct, my memory is not great for names of stuff like that!

• Christina Rowley

Thanks for sharing! Hoping to check out a showroom offering both options soon! I assume the cleaning process is basically the same for both (just spray cleaner on and rinse?).

We just moved and I‘m looking to replace tile in the maste bath shower actually. It probably was installed like 10 years ago with large tiles and thick grout lines. It literally grows mold and is incredibly hard to keep clean, I can’t stand it!

• Nancy in Mich
    Cleaning depends on both the mineral content of your water and whether you use bar (real) soap versus liquid body cleanser. Body cleanser has no fats, so does not leave a soap scum residue in the trench drain and on the walls and fixtures. I like the trench drain because it allows me to have a level, relatively small shower (3’ x 5’ , though I don’t fully trust the drain not to spill over, so I have a floor drain in the room , too.). It does require more cleaning than the walls and any other kind of drain. I take out the hair every other shower or so. About twice a month, I spray the cleaned-out drain and wipe it clean with TP. I have shoulder length hair and hubby has very short, sparse hair!

I still have not washed my walls. The shower went into service in July. I squeegee the walls and curtain about once a week, though.
    Hudson Smith Interiors

The cleaning process with Choreograph is basically nothing. I tested it by going for about 3 weeks without cleaning the shower. Afterward, you could see some mold growth on the caulk, but the walls looked nearly perfect. In our other bathroom, which is tiled, I would've had to really scrub the grout lines after 3 weeks.

Every couple of weeks I wipe down the walls with vinegar and water (which is my go to cleaning solution). That's it. No scrubbing, no chemicals. Almost two years in, and I still love the choreograph. I wish I had the $$ laying around to rip out the tile in the other bath and replace it this stuff!

Also, I can't believe how long this thread has gotten!

Hudson Smith Interiors

@nancyinmich, I really like how your transolid bath came out. Out of curiosity, how was the cost as compared to choreograph? I'm thinking of spec-ing the transolid for a client, but no one around here seems to know much about it.

Also, I just re-read your post from months ago about THS. I also found them around 2003, while starting a kitchen reno. What a fabulous community...all these years later it's still great and so helpful. And I agree that Houzz doesn't make the most of the knowledge that's here.

• Nancy in Mich

Husdson Smith Interiors, if you go to the bath1.com site, you can get the prices for almost every size of Transolid shower. Just remember that if you order it, you can get 5% off if you put in the code in the checkout. That said, my ADA shower at 37.75" x 63" (before the walls go up) with the shower tray with the trench drain, the basic wall kit (which goes up to the half-round molding in my pictures), the wall extension kit that takes them to the ceiling, and two panels of plain 36" x96" transolid in my color for the ceiling, cost me $3262. Oh - and if they offer a shower floor but not a wall kit in that size, call them. Mine was not listed for sale, but when I called to ask when/if it would be available, they said that they had it there! They made a custom kit for me and posted it on the site, where I went in and clicked it to order.

It turned out that I only needed one piece for the ceiling, since the trim covered the edge where I did not have the extra 1.75" ceiling depth needed with the 36" ceiling panel. One ceiling panel came damaged and I am sure they would have replaced it if I needed it, but they later sent me a whole bunch of trim gratis because they forgot to spec out the trim for the ceiling addition, which would have been one 3" x 62" flat piece for the front of the ceiling, plus all of the corner trim pieces for between the walls and the ceiling. They ended up sending me a corner wall trim kit of two 96" long pieces of corner trim - much more than I needed, but that is how it comes! So I would bet that the trim and the damaged panel were a wash in the end. I wanted the ceiling covered, too, since I had the experience of using a wallboard for a shower surround above a tub that looked like tile, but was meant for walls, not showers. It lasted me 20 years and was still in good shape when I sold, and I believe it was because of the excellent installation combined with having the product also on the ceiling, which kept any water from getting behind the panels. I just don't understand why all shower walls do not go to the ceiling - at the very least, if not also covering the ceiling to seal that enclosure UP!

They really do ship the same day. I had my shower - on two pallets - in a week. The trim they sent often got here overnight. I do live in the next state, though! They are in Ohio. I was very pleased with the responsiveness of Bath1 once we figured out we needed more trim. Once they sent the wrong stuff, and I was told to keep it. No problems whatsoever in dealing with them. I have enough extra stuff in my basement to cover a big counter or table with a 1/4" solid surface and trim to use with it.

• Christina Rowley

I see that a few of you have the veincut dune showers - does it look more gray or tan? I’m looking to do grays in our bathroom and the saleswoman said the veincut dune has a gray tint but it’s looking more tan to me in pictures.

I do LOVE that transolid gray and white marble look!!! So pretty!!

I’m so grateful that this thread exists and that you guys have stayed active in it years later!

• beaniebakes

Christina... have you seen samples? I stopped at a plumbing store showroom and they let me take the sample box home for a few days. Also, samples can be ordered through Kohler’s website. There are two sizes. I ordered a 12” square of the plain white for $10. I ordered it through the plumbing store rather than online and it arrived within a week.

Lehman Associates, P.C.

Hi Christina. The veincut dune is not a cold gray. It does have a little bit of warmth to it which makes it more timeless. Carefully select your wall color to match and then, throw in your splash of color in accessories, towels, etc. It can work well with everything from greens, to blues, to reds to oranges. The dune becomes the consistent background and you can change the splash colors as styles (or seasons) change.

Your lighting color temperatures will also effect the color of the panels. Here is what it looks like in natural daylighting. It becomes very gray but do not use a cold, steel gray paint color. Select one that has a very slight warm hint.

• Javon Steffen

Here's an update of my shower with the glass wall installed for the final effect of the choreograph in a tub shower combo configuration. The plain white choreograph panels were used in 3 sections on the back wall from corner to corner so it extends behind the toilet as well and around two small windows. One transition strip is shown and the other is right next to the point where the glass meets the wall. I really like the grab bar. And after using the shower for a few months I can say that the choreograph panels are one of my favorite parts because of how easy they are. They look just like painted drywall and because of that they don't distract the eye and instead encourage focus on the best elements. Instead of having so many competing tiles and elements that the bathroom always looks busy. But I'm a bit of a minimalist.

• Karen Mikolainis

How do you like the shower barre? We are planning on getting one. Thanks! Also, what faucets did you go with?

• H B

Love the barre, have one in each bath. Make sure to block behind it.

• RNmomof2 zone 5

Anyone new install Choreograph? I saw it in person yesterday and really like the look. Homeowner install anyone?

• lkihlk hiffmpequt

I heard yesterday from a Kohler Dealer that they have discontinued Choreograph. Can anyone else verify this? It's a small store and they are very backordered. The sales person said they have customers waiting whose orders won't be filled!

Thoughts?

('m cross posting this, I started another thread to ask this question, but might find an answer here)

• Heather Johnson

I went to a Kohler showroom today and was told that they are changing their production lines--so yes there is a four month wait, but the line isn't being discontinued. I remembered that I saw some five piece sets at Home Depot so just went and ordered one before they were gone and will have it by the 14th of this month.

• lkihlk hiffmpequt

Again, Thanks Heather and for taking the time to cross post the answer. I see they also have sets at Lowes!

• H B

RNMomof2 -- we didn't DIY install the choreograph, but the plumbers did (their first time)...the stuff is very heavy and bendy, and they had multiple trips up and down our stairs as they slowly trimmed our back wall piece to fit (sloped ceiling).

I ordered some 12" square sample tiles and cut them to make some smaller tiles (was trying to cover a very small area that was getting splashed) and it did require a special blade for the saw. Not sure that material should be inhaled. This thread or one other has a post where they installed it themselves, maybe they will check back in to this thread. There should be photos upstream that show how the walls were (not sure the right word) kind of scaffolded to keep pressure against the installed walls while the glue set up. If one is accurate with measuring and cutting, the directions are pretty clear for installation.

• lkihlk hiffmpequt

So, not being able to get the Kohler Choreograph, I went with a product from Maax called Utile. It comes as a kit from Lowes, walls, shower pan, door. The problem is/was that although Lowes is listed on their website as a distributor, the Maax company kept cancelling my order! They sent the little corner shelves, but not the shower unit.

My bathroom had been gutted, and most of the items to install purchased but no shower! I just called my local Kohler rep at a pluming supply store. They have a couple 3 wall units left in white or bisque and I grabbed one of the white ones! Yippee! With all a door and shower base separate, it still is less expensive than the Maax Utile "kit" from Lowes, which Maax keeps refusing to ship. (I was starting to wonder if they were a real company. I'd already PAID for the dang thing and they wouldn't send it! What a weird company. I can only imagine the 'service' you'd get if there was a problem with the product once I received it. I dodged a bullet on that one, I think.)

They don't have any of the "lockers" available for the wall, but I can order a barre and a couple of floating shelves, so we're golden!

The moral: call around, a local supplier may have some stock left.

The supplier told me Kohler Choreograph will be out of production for a year while they are filling orders for Stering products. They are also building something to keep up with the demand and will be back in production next year. This from the rep at the store who really knows his stuff, not the first person I spoke with.

• Nancy in Mich

lkihlk, I admire your patience with these companies. Who knew that it would be so darn hard to get someone to sell you something that they were offering!

• Christina Rowley

lkihlk it sounds like you had better luck with that then we did! We had ordered the gray choreograph walls, paid the deposit, and were halfway through the lead time when the company we ordered it through (our local Weinstein’s Supply) was notified that they had stopped production on the choreograph walls indefinitely. We were left scrambling to find something else. We made a much less researched, somewhat snap decision and picked the Maax Utile Factory Sleek in Smoke.

I must say that was terrified as we had only seen the 12x12 sample and all the pictures online were very small images!! We had no idea what to expect! This product was more expensive but luckily, our Sales rep at Weinstein’s was great and they took a slight discount off due to the circumstances.

Now that everything is complete, I’m so obsessed with it!!! (Don’t get me started on how terrible it was before!)

• mileaday
    I’m not sure if you mean that you are happy obsessed or not??
  • Christina Rowley

@mileaday I should have been clearer, I LOVE our shower! It’s definitely different from the choreograph but I do really like it!

• lkihlk hiffmpequt

I was so ready to fall in love with the Maax Utile... They just kept cancelling the order on me. I did go to Lowes and they had to order through what appeared to be a back end, in-store only website. (looked like D-base <<shiver>>) One of the managers placed the order and it still got cancelled. It was cancelled a total of 4 times! My initial web order, then the 3 attempts by Lowes staff.

My carpenter called them and was very interested in the product, and the strength of the material. I worry that the Choreograph install will be tricker.

So frustrating! I mean, if you are going to list Lowes as an authorized retailer, you probably should sell your stuff through them... So glad you got yours and that you love it!

• Lynn Smith

Is there a difference between Luxstone and Choreograph? I got an estimate from the only certified Kohl Luxstone dealer in my area and the price was much higher than expected. Now I'm looking into other products. Luxstone and Choreograph look exactly the same to me.

• Lynn Smith

My questions was partially answered on Home Depots website.

"Hi, this is Laura with Kohler Co. I am happy to assist you with your question. The manufacturing processes of LuxStone and Choreograph are identical but the end product is different. Thank you for choosing KOHLER."

• beaniebakes

@Lynn Smith...I never heard of Luxstone until I read your post and started doing some research. The material is different. Luxstone is a crushed stone (marble I think) with binder materials that result in an impervious surface similar to Choreograph. They look exactly the same as Choreograph on the computer screen -- similar colors, designs and accessories -- but maybe they look different in person. The product line includes new shower pans as well, and I like the idea of a stone composite material rather than acrylic or cast iron. Kohler has partnered with contractors for sales and installation, and I can't find any prices online or on Kohler's web site. I wonder if the production slowdown for Choreograph is due to the introduction of this newer product line. I'll probably go with Choreograph when my bathroom is redone, but now I have something else to consider.

Purchased a Kohler Choreograph kit 48x36x96, K97614-96. What a waste of money. It was so warped from improper support in the crate. Delayed the completion of the job for 6 weeks while I tried to press these panels flat enough to glue to the walls. One day i seperated the panels and looked at them at a new angle and lighting only to see that there were streaks in the textured surface. Some areas it was coarser than others. One panel had a big spray blotch in the middle. Got tiles to do the shower and will be eating the price of this big mistake. Will be cutting them up to go out with the trash.

• K S

Met with a Kohler rep today affiliated with the only Kohler certified installer in our state. He told me that luxstone is the new product similar to choreograph but 70% stone vs. 30% with choreograph. He also said they are not producing choreograph anymore because of quality issues with it becoming brittle. I was shocked at the price for a 32x60 tub and surround with the tile looking luxstone. $12k?!

• Nancy in Mich

Did that price include installation? It might be worth it if it does. If that is the material price only, then think about using Swanstone or another Solid Surface product. They have panels that look like subway tile. Transolid has white lines marking out "tile" sized divisions in their wall panels. I would not say it looks very realistic, but that is because it is on the perfectly flat wall panels. The white lines are embedded in the material and go through-and-through, but there is no pillowing tile "shoulders" next to the lines, being flat. Looking at the Transolid.com site, I see a solid surface product called Saramar that look (at a distance) like subway tiles. If you look at their showers, the fancy swirled color ones come with the white lines like my shower, though they have no pictures on their page showing the panels with the tile-look. I did find this picture, Here.

It shows the larger tile-look that they use on the Remodel shower walls. Here is their description: " 4 Transitions colors with realistic tile pattern and 4 Classic colors with plain pattern. "

One of the Pros pointed out to me that Transolid has only a 10 year warranty, so you also want to look at Swanstone and/or Corian. They have limited lifetime warranties. A contractor who knows how to scribe drywall should be able to make these wall sheets work for you. Here

is a site that quotes a price for the bathtub kits. Be sure to look at good sized samples of the colors. There are some nice swirled colors if you don't like the speckled ones that some think scream "Corian!"

• K S

Thanks for the info Nancy - I’ll take a look at those. The 12k price did include installation and since it would be with their certified partner it would have a lifetime warranty. Still seemed really high to me, but I’ll do some comparing ;-)

• tartanmeup

That is awful, @HU-242931371. What did Kohler say when you contacted them about the poor product quality?

They requested an exact description of the issues and pictures, and copy of paid receipt, which I email. Got an reply email a few days later. They would reimburse me 50%. I said sure, thank you. and 2 weeks later a check arrived. Half bets nothin!

• tartanmeup

Yes, it does but I wouldn't call it stellar customer service. Makes me think twice about buying anything from them.

• Nancy in Mich

HU-242931371, with the kit being unusable, I do not understand why they did not give you a full refund!

• fubingxin

Wow, I really enjoyed reading this thread dating back in years. I am in the South Bay Area, and Kohler's customer service told me there is only one dealer of their LuxStone product in my area and they do installation in a whole day. But if the price is as high as $12K, I would rather skip the trip/call all together. So has anyone recently installed this product, either Choreograph or Luxstone, and willing to share how much they paid for it? Many thanks

• Lynn Smith

We got a quote for Luxstone this Summer from the dealer in the Seattle area. Quote was well over 12K. We went with the Onyx Colection which is in the process of getting installed.

• H B

Our choreograph and swanstone install was now a few years ago. I got choreograph white (not textured, just plain) and think the tub surround set was less than $2K. Our install is probably pictured earlier in this thread.

• jswander01

Lynn Smith; I’ve just started looking at Oynx and I’m interested in hearing why you chose it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Lynn Smith

The main reason I chose it was because it was recommended by a remodeler I liked. My parents have Swanstone, Onyx seems similar and I didn't find any negative reviews for the Onyx. The Luxstone had mediocre reviews with a high price.

Here's what the Onyx looks like mid install.