Software
Houzz Logo Print
kelli9579

New kitchen

11 years ago

Having a new house built...looking for kitchen ideas/suggestions. Please critique layout. I would like to include an appliance garage somewhere. I was thinking, beside the fridge maybe instead of the single cabinet. Also, China hutch ideas please. Feel free to share pictures as well...thanks

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Your plan is super hard to read and needs rotated, that may be why you haven't gotten any responses. Read the New to Kitchens thread for a ton of info on kitchen planning and details to include when asking for layout help.

    my initial impression is that the refrigerator is very far from the sink. Work flow generally moves from the refrigerator to sink, to prep area, to cooking area.

    What are you planning to store in your appliance garage? If you want to use them in place, you may want them closer to your work areas.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you, nancyjwb. I will try to fix the picture and repost.

  • 10 years ago

    toaster and keurig in appliance garage, possibly toaster oven as well


  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I am thinking of doing away with China hutch and trying to incorporate some cabinets with glass fronts on some cabinets instead.

  • 10 years ago

    How wide is the aisle between island and cooktop?

  • 10 years ago

    I'm not even sure. These are the only plans that I have. We are meeting with cabinet maker next week.

  • 10 years ago

    I suggest you read a lot of posts here about kitchen layout. Find the "New to Kitchens - Read This First" discussion. It's usually on the first or second page.

    We cook from fridge to sink to prep counter to cooktop. Commonly referred to around here as ice-water-stone-fire. Your kitchen is not well laid out for that. You will have to go from fridge to sink and then back to stove. Which means that if two people are working in the kitchen, or more, they will have to constantly walk behind the cook at the cooktop. Not a good idea. Unsafe. If you do that, you will want at the very minimum 48" for that aisle but I think 54" would be better and safer. You may have to make the island smaller to make this plan work.

    Without making major changes, a better plan really isn't popping into my head.


  • 10 years ago

    I would move the fridge to be the last thing on the run to the left of the sink that would put fridge sink and cooktop in the correct order. I am not sure why you would want seating at an island when the island is exactly next to the breakfast room. How are you planning on seating people in the breakfast room? You have interesting space available here it might be better to reconsider those seating arrangements and possibly create a hallway/Butler's pantry to help the traffic flow from the mud room away from the kitchen workspace area.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Here's a version with practigal's suggestion to move the fridge. I moved the island out to make a wider work aisle, added a few inches to the overhang, and put shallow pantry storage on the opposite wall. This layout necessitates moving the window.

    If you frequently have help in the kitchen, I'd suggest a small prep sink on the island:

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much everyone for the suggestions! If I move the island down, will it look weird that it's not centered with the windows?

  • 10 years ago

    I'm also thinking of doing away with the China hutch. Thoughts?

  • 10 years ago

    Oh, I just saw that you stated the window would have to be moved.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you use the shallow pantry idea, you might consider making the china storage the same depth (unless you inherited Grandma's antique china hutch ;). Traffic coming from the hall will have a clearer path if the corners are shallower--and you know everyone will be cutting the corners if possible.

    ETA, I like your idea of glass doors, especially for china/dish storage. There is a recent thread asking about using the space between the studs--you could recess the china cabinet into the stud space, gaining a few more inches of floor space.


    Storage between the wall studs.

  • 10 years ago

    For practical purposes, moving the refrigerator to the left of the sink makes perfect sense, but I wanted to give you an alternate opinion. I had that exact layout previously. Sorry to be the naysayer, but speaking from my own experience, I did not like it. As soon I walked in the kitchen, my eye went to the big hulking frig. Even though it was counter depth, I felt like it blocked the light from the beautiful windows in the bumped out breakfast bay, and when clearing dishes from the table, you had to walk past the frig to get to the counter. There may be a better way to re-work the mudroom entrance so you can get the frig in an appropriate location without blocking the counter space next to the sink.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much, everyone. I really appreciate all of the responses. After reading all of them, I now realize that I should have posted my question a long time ago before my house was all framed out and everything. I'm thinking that I may be stuck with the layout at this point in time. I agree with wilson853, as far as the refrigerator goes...I don't want to walk into my foyer and be able to look right at the refrigerator, which is always covered with kids artwork, homework, etc. Luckily there's only one cook, if any, in the kitchen at a time. LOL

  • 10 years ago

    kelli9579, in my opinion, the frig is the hardest appliance to place in the kitchen, both functionally and esthetically. The beauty of these forums is that you can get a variety of opinions and then make a decision that works best for your situation. When I saw your layout with the china hutch, I immediately thought of this kitchen. No worries - your new kitchen will be beautiful!

    Crisp Architects · More Info


    After Plan · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you! I LOVE this kitchen!!!

  • 10 years ago

    You're welcome! Here is another hutch that is one of my favorites. Love this mullion. Good luck with the new build!

    New Canaan, CT - Traditional - Kitchen · More Info

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert