Software
Houzz Logo Print
dstewart1017

Moss Rock Fireplace Wall - Replace Or Update

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

This wall is outdated. It is slightly angled, which you might not be able to see in the picture, making it a bit hard to figure a seating arrangement. I rarely use this room now, but I would like to start.

The carpet is new (put in by previous owners). The decorations are not permanent (banner is obviously temporary) and the other furnishing are just things from our last place without a place to go at the moment.

Any ideas of what I should do with this wall?

Comments (21)

  • 10 years ago

    We'd need to see the entire room and the furniture you might want to use here in order to help. Start an ideabook here on Houzz to clue us in on what you like.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    White wash the wood.
    Darken the beams
    Leave the fp alone
    New curtain
    Let us see the whole space
  • 10 years ago

    Here is the whole room from another angle.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    are you buying new furniture?

    the room really doesnt lok that bad.

    what do yo want to use the space for?

    I think updating the curtains, adding a sofaa and loosing the printed chair are a good place to start.

  • 10 years ago

    Would you put a sofa in place of the two leather chairs?

  • 10 years ago

    Pictures are very dark. It's good to stand in each of the 4 corners of the room, and shoot towards the opposite corner.

    That said, I'd paint that fireplace stone, no question. It will leave you with a nice texture without the multi-color stone which draws the eye a bit too much.

  • 10 years ago

    What will the room be used for? TV viewing? Reading? Socializing with guests?

    If that's a half wall, then we'd like to see what's on the other side because then, really, this is one room.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Paint walls to closely match wood walls Paint beams the same. Replace drapes with plain ones that touch floor. Perhaps some linen look ones on a black rod from Restoration Hardware. Patterned chair competes with fireplace. Keep leather chairs and add a light linen look sofa. Use a larger mat in front of wood stove. Put a flat screen tv above fireplace and you have a cosy room.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    yes than flank the FP with the brown ones.

    dstewart1017 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    This room will be use for socializing, reading. It could be used as a tv room too, though that isn't crucial. There is a staircase behind the half wall.

  • 10 years ago

    Flair lighting - that looks really good. I like the curtains and the couch. Thank you.

  • 10 years ago

    The horizontal panelling and angled ceiling create a lot of odd angles that are visually distracting. Is it possible to remove the panelling?

  • 10 years ago

    Michigammemom - yes, that is something I would consider. At that point though, It might be worth redoing the whole wall, including the fireplace.

  • 10 years ago

    I seem to say this a lot on Houzz, you can "paint out" anything that is a visual distraction. Paint the fireplace, and the wood wall too if you don't like it. You're left with an interesting texture but much less to draw the eye. Low cost and quick to do compared to other solutions. Later if you want to remove/replace things out you can still do it easily.

    Swallow Drive · More Info


    Orchid Lane Dallas, TX · More Info

    Okerwaw · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I have an almost identical room. I whitewashed the fireplace and painted the wood paneled walls white. It really brightened it up.
  • 10 years ago

    Raineycarole - Would you mind sharing a picture of how it turned out?

  • PRO
  • 10 years ago

    I like Raineycarole's whitewash, but for your fireplace I'd paint it solid.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    i like the white wash.. sometimes (IMO only), before i get beat up for saying anything, white painted stone, just looks exactly like.. oh you painted the stone .........the white wash is more subtle of a change...just a thought.

  • 10 years ago

    I'd take the opportunity and redo the entire fireplace and paneled wall. The stone is taking up too much space on the right side of the room.