Software
Houzz Logo Print
kendrahhendra

Hang one or two pictures above my sofa?

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Should I hang two smaller pictures side by side or just one large picture above the sofa to the left of the fireplace? They are the pictures of the women in dresses. Below is also the picture we will hang above the sofa to the right of the fireplace.

(Yep, I have tried to turn sofas other directions and rearrange this room
but this truly is the only way they fit because of two doors, a curved
wall, and narrow row house. Furniture is staying in this
configuration...)

If any of you would be so kind as to make a mock up for me, I'd be ever so grateful. My skills are lacking!

Thanks!



Measurements

* Small photos of women - 24 x 20 each, I would hang two side by side above left sofa

* Large photo of woman - 50 x 41, I would hang just one above left sofa

* Left sofa - 84 " long

* Space above left sofa - 78" - top of sofa to start of crown molding
* Right sofa artwork - 32 x 45, this is the WW1 poster we are having framed

* Right sofa - 88" long


* FOUR EXAMPLES OF DRESS WOMEN PHOTOS FOR ABOVE LEFT SOFA



* SOFA TO HANG WOMEN ABOVE

* FRONT SITTING AREA

* BACK TV AREA - WW1 POSTER OVER SOFA NEAR TV

* BOTH SOFAS


* WW I POSTER TO BE FRAMED

Comments (18)

  • 10 years ago

    That makes sense. Not sure if it is in the budget. Maybe that means the search continues for large affordable artwork?

  • 10 years ago

    I have probably spent over 20 hours searching on Saatchi and can never find anything I like. Unfortunately, I have found out that I am a bit of an art snob - turns out that the work I always like from actual art galleries is $10,000 - $60,000! I have gone to local charity auctions, thrift stores, looked online, tried to find posters. I never find anything I like. I know why the good ones are expensive - they are so much better than cheaper ones! The way I think about it, a large piece of artwork is going to be one of the most visually prominent things in my house and I want to really, really like it. This is why my walls have been empty for 2.5 years!

  • 10 years ago

    Oh, how very little you know. So i shall now take the high road and bow out. sorry was not able to help. may you find someone who better matches your interests in posters.

    Kendrah thanked havingfun
  • 10 years ago

    Are you going to keep the furniture - or - replace it? Are you going to paint? What are you going to do above the fireplace. I think that it is difficult to determine where the photos should go.

    Kendrah thanked shirlpp
  • 10 years ago

    I like windowpane checks. And what is the tv unit made of? Well that isn't what you asked about.... what happens when you consider a reproduction of art?

    Kendrah thanked everdebz
  • 10 years ago

    Everdebz - The TV unit is an old machine shop set of drawers that I rescued from an alley near my house. The front surface is wood. The sides and back are steel. I would love to find a reproduction of art. Where does one look for that kind of thing?


    Havingfun - It is true, I don't know much about art or where and how to buy it. I am new to this. I just know what I like when I see it and I'd love to learn more about where to look and how to shop for it. I am truly open to any suggestions, though maybe I should start another post about how to find original art.

    I try to find artists online by doing google image searches and looking on Artsy. I can get lost on there for hours and find art that I like but when I write to the galleries the pieces end up being well above my price. I also try to look up artists participating in open studio tours in various cities, to see artwork at student exhibitions in my city, and go to first Friday events but I haven't found anything I am drawn to at these places either. I have tried to find posters of artists I like, even posters advertising their museum exhibitions but have not been able to find any. I tend to like contemporary art and most museum posters I find are for modern art.


    Shirlpp - All furniture stays. Chairs and sofas are vintage and newly upholstered within the last year. The rest is mostly family furniture that I like or pieces I have found in the ally and really appeal to me. The room is newly painted. I want some pillows for the sofa for texture and I need new window treatments for sure!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Carol, it seems a while ago I saw a post or two of yours... how's the rest of your home going? Well I would say you have a great idea on art post... really.

    Are there any particular artists? or art pieces that you like enough to buy a standard print from houzz as a source for instance? I like browsing; I type and select "shop"!!! :)

    Kendrah thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Your best bet is to find art you love and can afford. You will then find a place for it. My suggestion, if you love the women and can only afford two...buy them now, prices only tend to go up once artists are discovered. Cut out newspaper/brown paper the exact size of the pieces and play with them over your sofa. You may find your happy with the proportion. If not, I would suggest finding photos that coordinate with the art, in theme and color (maybe landscape), frame them, and place on either side to help fill the space...again, cut out rough shapes to determine what size would work. I'm thinking 11x14.
    Kendrah thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for asking. We just got certified as foster parents, which in addition to being very exciting for obvious reasons, has been a fun shake up to our house. We've switched our bedrooms, office, family room and come up with room and furniture configurations I would not have thought of otherwise and I love. It has also forced us take care of lots of little home things we've been procrastinating on.


    I will try to do some houzz print searches. The artists we most love are Kara Walker, William Kentridge, and Kehinde Wiley. I have found 2 Kentridge prints but they are pretty underwhelming. Last night I found an artist catalog of Kara Walker's that has a four page foldout that is meant to be taken out of the book and can be framed. It is 41" x 8.5". Long and narrow. The book is not too expensive and there are many for sale on line so I might buy one and see what it looks like.

  • 10 years ago

    Blue Bobby - Great idea about cutting out brown paper and hanging it on the wall to get an idea of size! Now to find art I love and can afford...

  • 10 years ago
    You need to keep shopping. Don't give up! There is a good quality reproduction or print out there that will make you smile every day when you see it. You might like the work of South Carolina artist Gaye Sanders Fisher, even though her colors are more muted than your beautiful brights. She has some lovely ladies that your ladies remind me of.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I thought the wall in the picture below was very interesting and it may be easier to find smaller pieces of black and white photography, sketches, charcoal drawings, prints, watercolors, etc. You mentioned you are an art snob, so you could buy one really good piece and as time/budget permits, replace and keep collecting. I have put togehter a collage in my dining room and the pieces refer to certain times in our lives and tell a story.

    Studio Marcelo Brito · More Info

    Kendrah thanked Maureen
  • 10 years ago
    I really like your art, they are beautiful. If the art you already have are important to you, hopefully you can find another location for them. If they make you happy, and don't flow anywhere else, how about making your laundry room a happier place to enter :)

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • 10 years ago

    Would love to see the gold mirror above your fireplace. Your seating arrangements are ignoring the FP focal point.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think I would hang 3 on the left of the fireplace & 3 on the right of the fireplace above both sofas. Then add a mirror over the fireplace.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I also agree with decoenthusiaste. The sofas should face the fireplace which is the focal point of the room.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would place the sofas at right angles to the fireplace .... one on each side of the fireplace .... facing each other. TV over the mantel. That is the only way I can see to use the room more functionally and aesthetically.