Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_dunn398

Should switchplates match your wall??

Sherry Dunn
8 years ago
Redecorating our home and wanted to know if switchplates should blend into your wall or is it ok for them to show?

Comments (19)

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    I've done it both ways, leaving the plates as is, or painting them. If you change colors often, painting them is a hassle, and the paint builds up to a thick layer. I guess you can strip them, but why bother? We go with white, it matches the trim in the house, they are clearly seen, but not like a sore thumb, and much less expensive than the more custom ones.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    8 years ago

New switch plates are very inexpensive at Home Depot or Lowes if you get a buildup of paint.

• Sherry Dunn
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for your input.
    I know that by staying light, in wht or cream it sort of fades into the wall , not to mention the lt moldings, however, since I will be doing a new kitchen, I thought to go with the oil rubbed bronze since the cabinets will be in a rich walnut or expresso finish and the hardware and faucet will also be in the oil rubbed bronze??
  • PRO
    8 years ago

I'm not at all fond of metallic switch plates. I don't think they should call attention to themselves. What color is your backsplash, where I'm assuming your switch plates are located?

• Sherry Dunn
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The plates are muted not metallic. I would not like that as well. No backsplash yet as we are only in the process of shopping around and getting ideas.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Then once you decide on your backsplash, you'll be able to choose the switch plates in an appropriate color for that location. That should work just fine.

• Sherry Dunn
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes, I think so as well!!!!
    Thank you for all your input.
  • orangecamera
    8 years ago

I recently replaced my backsplash with white tile. At that time, I had the electrician change out all my black switches and outlets for white ones, and I got brand new white switch plates. It was so worth the little (compared to the entire kitchen budget) extra money to put in the right color switches and outlets. I also took the opportunity to install one outlet that includes USB outlets.

• denisedaze
    8 years ago

Hi do you also suggest your wall plugins be painted the same colour as your walls?

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    We went with white against various grays. For the backsplash, we have white glass subway, the white switch and outlets covers didn't look right. Glass covers were green, so no match there. We went with brushed stainless. A better match than we thought it would be.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

I'm only particular about outlet covers and switch plates where they are quite noticeable. Otherwise these days it seems that most houses work with white plates and covers.

• denisedaze
    8 years ago

Thank you Carolyn, I will stick with my white outlet covers once I have the interior of my home painted in the next two weeks. Choosing a paint Color is just as hard as shopping for shoes for me.

• Debra Englert
    6 years ago

Doing kitchen remodel. Walls are Lenox Tan by Benj. Moore. Should the wall outlet covers all be the same color or could I go with a black to match the pulls on my new cream colored cabinets?

• Teresa Illinicki
    4 years ago

I just repainted a spare BR. 1 accent wall in Benj Moore Indian River and the 3 other walls in BM Smokey Taupe, white trim and doors. The room gets a lot of light especially AM-afternoon. What color switch plates do you suggest w/o painting them Since I do not have much spare time at home? I was thinking a satin Nickel by Legrand (from Lowe’s)? Thoughts?

• Heather Knapp
    2 years ago

This is Currently in the new home we recently bought. I want to switch them out ASAP however my husband says this is a “minor detail” that no one will notice??? Am I crazy or does this look hideous lol

• Heather Knapp
    2 years ago

This is currently in the new home we just bought. I want to switch them all out ASAP but my husband says this is a “minor detail” that not one will notice. Am I crazy or is this hideous lol

• sheltiegal
    2 years ago

A minor detail that is an easy and inexpensive fix. Once you notice it, you'll always notice it, I'd change them out. And yeah, that middle one is....interesting.

• mchuich
    2 years ago

Yep, they’ve got to go tout de suite! I like muted bronze with your stone. https://www.wallplatewarehouse.com/collections/elan-aged-bronze-cast/products/55tdb