Software
Houzz Logo Print
jab65

Best floor for cabin

10 years ago

We're renovating the small cabin we lived in while building. It has a plywood subfloor (not super strong). We removed carpet, and I definitely don't want more. The problem is that it won't be used continuously and therefore will have many changes in temperature. We're on Puget Sound and don't get hard freezes. What would you use on the floor?

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago

    Wide pine. Definitely. Warm and cozy.

    jab65 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    I'd probably choose wood look tile...maybe something like this? Get pro advice on best grout to use.


  • 10 years ago

    Do you think the subfloor is suitable for tile?

    jab65 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • 10 years ago

    oh, good point!

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, crl, that's what my husband was wondering. I'd put an area rug over it, but tile is also so hard and cold. We have lots in our new house but also have radiant heat in the floor.

    What do others think of wide pine? Would it warp? Pretty damp around here sometimes.

  • 10 years ago

    Personally I wouldn't go for wood in the moisture and temperature extremes of an unheated cabin, particularly wide plank.

    Although floating luxury vinyl plank may not be recommended by manufacturer for unheated homes due to shrinkage, I'd be tempted to try it.

    jab65 thanked robo (z6a)
  • 10 years ago

    I live on Cape Cod and have wide pine floors. They are gorgeous, warm, and in a cottage, the more worn they get, the more charm they have. Obviously you want to seal them with Waterlox. My floors have absolutely no warping issues, and this house didn't even have AC until last year.

    jab65 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Does anyone have experience with cork in a similar situation?

  • 10 years ago

    Tibbrix, do you heat your cottage in the winter? That would make quite a different IMO.

  • 10 years ago

    If this is just going to be a cabin you visit on occassion and want something inexpensive, why not just use plywood? Here are some creative ways it can be used and I think it's a great inexpensive solution.

    jab65 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Robo, this is my home. It is heated, but the heat is turned off at night, and in the other wing (also with pine floors) I only turn it on when the temp outside is 20 or lower, to keep pipes from freezing.

    The key to wood is to give it room to expand and contract and to protect it from water. But wood is what people used long before other materials were even invented. I happen to think wood is very forgiving. It gets better with age and wear, rustic handles mars very well, and if you don't like a mar, you just sand it out and reseal that little area.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think pine floors are pretty uncommon in the PNW. More common in older homes are fir and oak; oak is still very popular, fir (except for original floors) is not seen much. I would think oak would work; after all, they make boats and ships from it.

    jab65 thanked Olychick
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I believe thin strip oak is used in unheated cabins up here in Canada. Something like 2-2.5" maybe. When I was investigating for myself I saw some reports of cupping and some that love their 30-50 year old wood floors. (We ended up with a place that must be heated year round so I didn't end up needing that kind of flooring).

    jab65 thanked robo (z6a)