Software
Houzz Logo Print
mitchell_parker

What's your weirdest domestic habit?

10 years ago

Nutty Home Fixes · More Info


Got a less-than-ideal method for keeping the oven door closed? Do you [clean your rug in snow[(https://www.houzz.ru/forum/opros-kakaya-iz-rossiyskih-bytovyh-privychek-samaya-strannaya-dsvw-vd~3472997?n=13) like the Russians? Keep your Christmas tree up year around? Got a collection that has overrun your home? Share your weird domestic habit now!

Comments (378)

  • 10 years ago

    At the beginning of every year I buy a bag of tiny rubber bands and place them on every hanger in my closet. As I do laundry throughout the year I remove the rubber bands and right before Christmas I take anything that it on a hanger with a rubber band and give it to charity.


  • 10 years ago

    MacGrill, my sister keeps all her catalogs in a file box alphabetically and replaces the catalogs when a new one comes in the mail so that she has one of each.

    I keep all of my catalogs in a small magazine box in my bathroom since that is the only time I find to thumb through them.

  • 10 years ago

    Ok now Jennifer and Macgrill we are not throwing around money here, you are too late to win the martha stewart award, or are you two related and this is an ongoing competition. Remember only 2 days to thanksgiving and you have to sit at the same table then!

  • 10 years ago

    Trying to figure out if I'm a total slob or possibly just normal. kelli, you could never come to visit as I'm sure you'd go bonkers (but if it made you feel better I'd let you "straighten up").

    jean, I'm with you on not buying those sheets to clean the floor. When they first came out I was mystified why anyone ("havingfun" excepted) would start spending money on them when dustmops don't cost a dime to use (but then I am frugal as well as a "casual" cleaner).

    jennifer, what does your poor husband do now...walk around with his arms full of things that he can't put down? I can see there are some significant others out there in need of support groups! Your rubber band idea is a good one, but I find there are some clothes I will not wear one year yet it becomes my favorite thing the next year. I seem to be a rebel in the rules department (maybe because I had a mother who was full of them).

    Vive la difference!

  • 10 years ago

    capeanner you are more normal than you believe. I rip up old sheets and towels for the floor. I have a Bissel floor steamer which I love, most of my floors are oiled Arkansas Yellow Pine, the others are a laminate tile. Like you, its pretty infrequent though. Mostly I just wipe up the spills, and spots and call it good. Having recently lost my Husband, I can think of a dozen things I bitched about that I would give anything to be able to apologize to him for. What a waste of time I could have spent on better things. No one remembers you for your housekeeping, they remember how you made them feel.



  • 10 years ago

    Well.....have to say I've gotten quite a chuckle out of reading these domestic (and otherwise) quirks. Glad to know I'm not the only one. We quirks need to stick together, right?! :) I'd be here all day if I wrote about all of mine, however, I guess the one that sticks out most in my mind right now is the fact that we have a storage area (with a door on it) going up the side of our stairwell that has nothing but empty boxes in it. We both must keep each and every box we get when something we ordered comes in the mail, as "we may be able to use them to wrap our Christmas gifts this year." There are so many boxes in this storage area, that when we do eventually open that door, several boxes will always come tumbling out onto the stairs!! Where else would we be able to keep all these boxes?! :) capeanner----We may be long-lost "sisters", as my mom was full of rules too and I'm a born rebel!! Guess that explains why I just refuse to throw away those boxes!!! :)

  • 10 years ago

    Gayle, sorry for your loss. Unfortunately it seems to be the human condition to learn lessons too late. I'm sure you were nice to him in many other ways. And maybe your wise words will help some harassed husbands get a bit of relief. I'm single & get to do what I want when I want: can clean like a madwoman at 1 in the morning if the spirit moves me or leave piles of whatever for future reading, would be projects, etc. Fortunately, the older I get the fewer "projects" I dream up and the more I hire people to help. I admire immaculate spaces, but would never want to slavishly maintain one. Do like a clean floor though as it feels great when walking barefoot.

  • 10 years ago

    Dear Gayle, i too am sorry for your loss.

    I have much lived my life the same way, having had a hubby not much on cleaning and a son who could be oh so difficult, although now, he is like spotless, go figure. I made certain rules, all paths to exits were always clear, everyone always wore clean clothes, we always ate fresh food off clean plates. I learned quickly as a single parent and even before, if you work, the whole quality vs quantity is bull. You either spend your whole awake time yelling at them to get this or that done, or you choose quality time and to heck with all the chores.

    yes, it is true, my mom was also heavy on rules, etc. funny thing her home is far from spotless now. lost the maid?

    The only thing i disagree on is the swiffer, because things stick so well to it is a huge time saver. I get my baby wipes so i mop and sweep at the same time from the $1 tree as in 100 for. I am a real cheap skate, cell phones are burner phones, home phone is on magic jack. no cable tv, all that is watched on computer.

    Here is my big thing at the moment.

    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Remember there are 35 million of us, if we all opt out of black Friday and all holidays, Sundays, and nights, everyone gets a life. we can make a difference!

  • 10 years ago
    It drives my husband crazy that I do the dishes and clean the kitchen as soon as I finish eating. He always says he would help me if I would just wait till he takes his last bite !! Lol
  • 10 years ago

    uhoh, don't fall for it joan, it is a trap! lol

  • 10 years ago

    Gayle, my first husband passed on, and I feel for you darling, I really do. Take care of yourself. If you want to talk anytime, my messages are always open.

  • 10 years ago

    Kelly T, number 8 really got me. I have a few purses, but 99.9 percent of the time, I use the same one.

    My husband helps with the dishes, but he doesn't know that 99.9 percent of the time I rewash the pots and pans in the morning. For some reason, he doesn't use hot water...

  • 10 years ago

    you know, ones with straps make great organizers you can even hang them on peg boards. you can also use them for planting. My own brand of recycling ;- )

  • 10 years ago

    havingfun, I gave you a pass on the wipes. My feeling about having any kind of a handicap is you do whatever it takes if it keeps you independent. Have worked with people with various disabilities as well as the elderly. So do what you've got to do. You may have even convinced me to try those $1 for a hundred wipes!

    As far as not "celebrating" holidays, I'm with you 100%. Having said that here I am in FL and will celebrate "the holidays" with family. (Mom is 94.) But I have long since opted out of the "compelled to buy gifts" syndrome. Retail will have to survive without me. I support the thrift and resale shops that support folks in need. "Retired" early so I can live the way I want to rather than support the economy. Here's to (my version anyway of) the American Dream!

  • 10 years ago

    It just goes to show! i was thinking more along the lines of the old days, where everyone got Sundays off and holidays. When i was a kid, we learned to skate, ride our bikes and even drive in store parking lots! I do believe in holidays, all for being with family though i am a bit short since all of mine are down there with you. Never mind, hubby, fuzzies and i are all happy up here. How wonderful that you got to retire early! i think if you have not bought by the day of, oh well? Yeah, if you think of it, that swiffer is pretty amazing, just don't get sold on the upgrades. lol Happy holidays!

  • 10 years ago

    In the cold weather, I throw my quilt in the dryer and then onto my bed. If you put another quilt on top of it immediately, it will keep you warm all night long. Also, I have 2 toothbrushes. Keep one near the sink and the other in/right outside the shower, that way I can brush my teeth as I shower ,saves time. :)

  • 10 years ago
    I take the last few items of clothes out of the washer with tongs since my top loader is deep and I am short.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    My 'special' toilet bowl brush is the one that lives by the dish sink. It is only used to clean the coffee carafe. It reaches clear in and even under the rim (!) of the carafe.

    You can sanitize your front loading washer with Affresh or vinegar.

    I like Rubbermaid's microfiber mop with a spray bottle on the handle for cleaner. You rip the pad off its Velcro holder and wash it in the machine.

    My husband hates to have to open things, like doors or drawers, to get something out (clothes, dishes, etc.) I saw a drawing once of the perfect bedroom for a person with ADD. It had wooden chairs ranged around the walls and a doorknob mounted on the wall near each chair. It would be perfect for him.

    We agreed on a rule a few years ago: I only allow naked men in my bedroom. He has to leave his dirty clothes in his bathroom. No piles on the floor by his side of the bed. Oh, by the way, I now have my own bathroom. It's wonderful.

  • 10 years ago

    ns I believe you should be today's winner, because the thought of you explaining that toilet brush to someone like your mil as you cram it in that coffee carafe is almost too much to bear! lol

  • 10 years ago

    Reading the comments about floor cleaning reminded me of the time I tried a disposable floor wipe. We use the surface wipes of the same brand so I thought it sounded like a good idea. Unfortunately the floor wipes come with an additive which delightfully fragrances your home for days. We never used that product again! What makes them think those overpowering synthetic perfumes add value to a cleaning product? I was wondering if I could use the non-fragranced surface wipes instead but in the meantime I've gone back to the old mop.

  • 10 years ago

    I will make lunch or dinner plate and start eating when I am still standing. Sometimes if I am eating alone, I will not sit at all. Drives my family crazy.

  • 10 years ago

    donna, I do that often. Food goes down easier. BTW if you're eating alone why is it driving your family nuts...just seeing you do it? My relatives have the same reaction.

  • 10 years ago

    Perhaps Donna put it on you tube?

  • 10 years ago

    Macy, Been asking that question myself, my whole life! And it keeps getting worse! More people have allergies than ever before, and yet there are more and more smelly stuff. On halloween, there was a family, all wearing costumes, generally you don't wash them right? I smelled them from about 15' away!

    Donna, so is it true? Do the calories actually not count if you stand and eat?

  • 10 years ago

    Ahhh...hope they were pumpkin scented.

  • 10 years ago

    Naaahh, laundry detergent.

  • 10 years ago

    If I leave dishes in the sink overnight, and there happens to be a sharp knife in the sink, I cover the sharp knife. I fear that if someone breaks in, they will see the butcher knife and use it to harm me.

  • 10 years ago

    fun, I thought you meant just the opposite...that the costumes reeked from not being washed. Know what you mean about laundry smells. I live half the year in a congested area. When I go out to walk the smells coming from dryer vents are nauseating. I hold my breath.

    Nayers, why not wash just the knife so you can sleep soundly? (of course there's always the drawer). Perhaps you've watched one too many horror movies?

  • 10 years ago

    i understand those feelings nayers. Due to my breathing tube in hospital, they gave me antihysteria(?) drugs and i had a terrible nightmare straight out of Stephen King, nearly killed myself, ripping tubes out and stuff. Poor Mr. King, one of his greatest fans, won't read anything by him now.

  • 10 years ago

    There's so much real horror in this world I don't understand seeking it out as entertainment. Could tolerate it more when I was young, but not for a very long time now. TV strikes me as obscene with all its gore and mayhem. Must be a young person's thing, 'cause it just repulses this old lady.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, my husband recently asked, why i am so often get into british mysteries and not American. I explained that even though British is starting to go that way, American seems to often be all about the gore. I like old time mystery, the deed has already happened, it is all about the solving. I don't even need a death, remember reading those mysteries? And I have never enjoyed how many can you kill movies, whether they are hero bound-Rambo, or terror- Chain saw massacres. Mr. King had an unusual ability to keep me reading though i did not want to.

    american shows we watch are very limited.

  • 10 years ago

    Have always found non-American movies to be more story & human relationship driven rather than filled with gratuitous violence, but you're right that they are starting to succumb to American influence which is sad. Was in an outer island of Tahiti years ago and saw people living in this relatively peaceful paradise crammed into their community center in the evening watching some awful totally violent video. Still think about the influence our "progress" has on the world and how desensitized to violence it makes people, particularly children.

    Anything you watch becomes part of your subconscious and who wants disgusting gore in there?

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, and unlike the old days, today, people seem more likely to act out what they see. a very sad example is the recent beheadings, after those were shown, there were several in America, not even related.

  • 10 years ago

    I think crazy people will copy anything for attention. There are now sick images & stories that the public was never before exposed to. One more reason why movie & TV people should be responsible re the images they are putting out rather than competing to make a buck by being more & more disgusting. Really, what's left...cannibalism?

  • 10 years ago

    I eat chicken, so we are already there.

  • 10 years ago

    So...we have a cannibalistic-computer-using-chicken posting here? Well.... not every site can claim that feature!!

  • 10 years ago

    Well, we always new we were special! Falalala lalala

  • 10 years ago
    My cousin doesn't use her dishwasher to actually wash the dishes...she hand washes the dishes and let's them drip-dry in the dishwasher. Then, she puts them away.
  • 10 years ago

    One day it will occur to cuz to eliminate the "putting away" stage and just leave them in the DW till she needs them!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Jamrison, I do the same thing. Use it as intended about every 3 weeks.

  • 10 years ago

    I have a polished wood coffee table and diningroom table that I absolutely love because they are so unique (dark green and black). When guests come I put fruit and dessert on the coffee table and then set up small side tables for guests to put their drinks and fruit on. I can't tolerate having plates/cups etc on the coffee table in case of scratches. Then right before we want to eat I put a plastic tablecloth on the dining room table, heaven forbid someone put a knife or scratch on that table. I know I am crazy, but my friends accept it. :-)

  • 10 years ago

    tis always the problem with owning things we love isn't it? Go through all that to own it, then it feels like everyone wants to destroy it?

  • 10 years ago

    One of the reasons I buy from consignment and thrift shops.Although I find some great stuff I do not want to be a slave to things. If a house burned down I wouldn't miss any precious objects inside. Would not know what to do if the filing cabinet and computer were lost however. Am totally dependent on paperwork because I can't remember anything!

  • 10 years ago

    I think i might have a solution there, back up to disc, carry it in your car, purse, etc. I would miss things in my home, but I learned as a child, that nothing i have is sacred, it can all vanish in an instant, so i always try not to get over attached.

  • 10 years ago

    I have a friend who keeps everything on his computer and has a memory stick that he kept on his keys...until he left the keys on the top of the car! I'm too paranoid and forgetful to take that chance. Bad enough if you lose your wallet! If I were better at deciding which papers to keep and which to toss it would be helpful. Really, paper is my undoing. Some people wish for a cleaning person; mine is for a secretary/accountant.



  • 10 years ago
    I have two kinds of memory sticks lol one on my keychain... it looks like a lil padlock Swarovski studded of course, the others are all USB pens from swarvoski... once a month I update a pen and deposit it into a safe deposit box when I happen to be at yhe bank... I lost everything in a flood when my son was little so I just made it a habit... honestly I use the clouds for almost all my photos, except my work photography those are too large for the clouds so i keep a stack of memory cards... and trust my a lil OCD amongst chaos makes my world go round...
  • 10 years ago

    Tracy, would you like to come over and organize my existence?? Am now splitting my life between two states, two houses. It's hopeless! I realize now how much I functioned on automatic. It's been a month now; I'm doing a little better, but still forget more than I remember. The only thing that's the same is me!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Well, look who I found today taking over my hair dryer. It was last reported that I sleep with a hair dryer on a stand with wheels so that I can roll the hair dryer back and forth to distribute the heat as needed. Then the light bulb when on and I went and bought a second one to roll around the house with me as needed. See cats ARE smart;)

  • 10 years ago

    Looks like you're in danger of a "catnap," Margo :)

  • 8 years ago
    bbkieffer me too! I thought I was the only one who did this.