Software
Houzz Logo Print
bounty67

Window design delimma

10 years ago
I recently (3yrs ago) purchased a small/older lake cabin in desperate need of upgrading/expansion. I've already added a large barn with attached carport and covered patio to the property to the left of the cabin. I'm currently remodeling the solitary bathroom and need some advice on the windows on the exterior front wall of the house. There are currently two: one small window in the corner of the bathroom and one centered in the kitchen that will eventually become a laundry room. The house will be expanded to the left with a new mater suite and kitchen. My real dilemma is that there is not another space to add a window in order to get it out of the shower area which will span the entire wall. It's hard to see in the photos below but the shower "was" located just to the right of the window and was fully walked in making a small bathroom appear even smaller. I have already demolished the old shower (one photo shows the demo "in progress") and have opened up the bathroom wall to prepare for framing the new shower that will span the entire back wall of the bathroom (typical for small bathroom). Should I leave the window in its current location/size (replacing with vinyl clad of course), install a new larger window centered in the shower the same size as the other lower level window or install a smaller "awning" window high in the shower or some other design I haven't thought of? I want the house to look "right" from the outside and not just pieced together (which is what I think it currently looks like). My preference of course would be to remove the shower window completely but that just will not work for the aesthetics in this instance. I need some natural light in the bathroom. I dislike the current look of the windows from the outside & would like the windows on the exterior lower level to "match" in size to enhance my future plans to add a 7' front porch across the front with gable over front door, new front door, new smaller windows upstairs. Please don't be critical of the exterior board and batten siding, it WILL be replaced. The house was built in 1971 and the western red cedar has done its job well but it's definitely beyond time for replacement. This is a completely DIY project and the future siding/porch/addition will be a few years down the road as funding permits. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH