Software
Houzz Logo Print
sid_w

counter depth refrigerator under $2000

10 years ago

Any suggestions on an good "affordable" counter-depth fridge under $2000? Can go up to 36"... haven't decided between french door or side-by-side.

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    My last counter depth Fridge was a Kitchen Aid Architect side by side and I found it to be very reliable (owned 10 years with no service)! I am currently looking for a CD for my new home and have decided that a French door would be a better layout. In terms of price you can purchase a nice side by side in your price range and I would recommend a Kitchen Aid or Whirlpool. Regarding the French door, which are more expensive, I am considering an LG, GE and Samsung but have not owned those brands before. Seems there are a lot of "haters" for almost every make and model, so it's hard to decide based on internet reviews. According to Consumer Reports, all the manufacturers have 10-20% service issues, so one can only hope the appliance they buy falls in the 80-90% in terms of reliability. You might want to factor an extended warranty into your purchase price. The big box stores all have appliance sales right now, and there is a FD GE with decent reviews that is exactly $2k. I wish the Kitchen Aid FD model I like was in my price range, but unfortunately it is not. Let me know what you decide and why. I need to order my appliances by tomorrow and can't decide. Good luck.

  • 10 years ago

    Frigidaire has one. That you don't want. Increase your budget.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You should be able to get the KRFC300ESS under $2k…not much under it, but under it for sure. There is also the whirlpool version which is a WRF540. I like the kitchenaid handle better personally.

    Frigidaire has the DGHF2360 which is currently on sale pretty much everywhere. Should be able to get that around $1800ish

  • 10 years ago

    Is your fridge on an outside wall? Are there utilities in the wall behind the fridge (other than the plug)?


    We had a regular depth fridge recessed into the stud bay for less than the difference in price between the regular and (inexplicably more expensive) counter depth versions of our fridge, and got the benefit of the extra capacity in the deal...


    Incidentally, we went with Samsung. And it's OK I guess. It was $1499, vs seventeen something and 8 less cubic feet for the counter depth one. BestBuy has the Samsung RF18HFENBSR on sale for $1249 right now. If you don't mind not having a door dispenser. (Which I consider a bonus...)

  • 10 years ago

    This may be helpful -- or not. Our GE Monogram is 14 and runs great. (42" side by side w/water in the door.)

  • 10 years ago

    I have a Jenn Air counter depth french door. Love it. It was less than $2k - I think it was 1800. And then it was even cheaper because I bought it at Sears Outlet - it has a ding in the side that is covered by my wall anyway. We've had it 4 years now.

  • 10 years ago

    Sophie -- why not the Frigidaire?

  • 10 years ago

    Sophie, I am bumping this up because I would really like to know from a Pro why a Frigidaire is not a good choice. I plan on purchasing a CD fridge this spring....

  • 10 years ago

    Builders grade with cheap components that break easily. You see Frigidaire in all of the tract homes for a reason.