Software
Houzz Logo Print
40love66

Need help finding replacement shades for pendant lights!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Please help!!
I've been looking for replacement shades for 3 pendant lights I am trying to update with an industrial look to go with Edison bulbs (below). I have found a lot of pendant fixtures that I like, but having trouble finding just the "shade" part (with a 2" fitting) without paying the same price as replacing the entire fixture.

One of my fixtures:

I want either thick hand-blown or seeded glass shades that will allow the bulb to be seen through it like one of these:

...OR a cage-type shade like one of like these:

Any ideas on where they sell just the shades of these??

Comments (36)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You could check out antique/consignment stores but it'll be a long search. Why not just get a new fixture that you like?

    40love66 thanked Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I've seen some pendant shades available on Wayfair and you could also try searching for phrases like 'lighting parts' or 'pendant light shades' to see if those bring up anything worth your time...Best of luck! (That being said, I recognize some of these fixtures you've posted here; if you have a fruitless search for just shades or otherwise get tired of looking, let me know--we can help get you those fixtures!)

    40love66 thanked Lights Online
  • 10 years ago

    Cynthia, I was trying to avoid replacing the whole fixtures, as the ones I have work fine and are the ORB color that goes with the rest of my room, and of course replacing them would also be a more costly option. Antique consignment stores would not likely have 3 of the same shades in this more modern style that I like.

    flair lighting, many of the replacement shades I've seen online have a common size 2.25" fitter (like the shades I am replacing) that would fit my thumb screw application, but I just haven't found any in the styles I like. (Outside measurement is 2.25", inside is 2"). The pictures I posted are just examples of the type of glass/cage design/style/shape I am looking for, although I realize they do not have the type of fitter I need. Just thought I'd have more options to replace the 3 shades without replacing the entire fixtures, but I guess not.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    No, unfortunately it's like looking for a needle in a haystack... So sorry.

    40love66 thanked Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • 10 years ago

    Lowe's, Home Depot, Home Decorators, Amazon, Lighting Direct, Ballard Designs

    40love66 thanked Jillian - Interior design student
  • 10 years ago
    My hubs broke one of our pendant light shades by accident. Found the manufacturer and was able to get a replacement shade. Since they were about 5 years old, the replacement was not an exact match. Since they are hand blown, it looks fine, but it did cost almost as much as a new fixture. Also most replacement parts are nonrefundable.
    40love66 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    Lights Online, I searched Wayfair and a few other sites, and this is the best one I could come up with that I guess would sort of work, but I don't love it and think it's kind of generic looking... However, at only $23 each, I suppose it's an affordable option that I can live with until I'm ready to replace them with what I really want, which will likely cost me over $150 each ($450 total)!

    If anyone reading this knows where I might find a more industrial-looking shade, either seeded glass or a bronze colored cage-type for around $50 each, please share.

    Thank you!!


  • 10 years ago
    Will that Edison lightbulb fit with that shade? Not really loving it. Why don't you keep them as they are until you can afford new fixtures. They look fine without shades.
    40love66 thanked User
  • 10 years ago

    SandyC, That shade WILL fit my fixture with the Edison bulb in it, although the bulb is longer so it will hang down about 1.5" below the glass. I agree with you that my pendants probably look better just as they are than they would with those cheap shades. I am just tired of their unfinished look without a shade and thought there would be more replacement options out there. Thanks for your input.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Inside of the canopy(the part attached to the ceiling) has to be written the name of the manufacturer. Then find a dealer in you area. You need the supplier name to find the exactly fitted shade.

    40love66 thanked Attractive Interior
  • 10 years ago
    That's what I thought. You can either put a regular round bulb to fit the glass shade or leave as is., no shade. My vote is leave as is, since you don't love the glass shade.
    40love66 thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    Not sure where you live but I had this problem myself. I went to a lampshade shop and they had catalogs of replacement shades. Lucky for me though, they also had lots of used ones too! You could try a lighting store if you don't have a lampshade shop. Another place I checked was Habitat for Humanity shops and second hand shops. They did have some just not what I was looking for. Good luck!
    40love66 thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago

    Attractive Interior, I still have the shades that the fixtures came with, and I am not looking to replace them specifically. They are beige frosted glass, which no longer goes with my newly updated paint colors and industrial style furnishings, so I was looking to change the shades to update the look of the pendants to a similar style with the Edison bulbs I put in them.

  • 10 years ago

    lynartist, I went to a local lighting store where these and many of my other light fixtures were purchased, and they did not have any catalogs of replacement shades that could be ordered, but I didn't think to try a lampshade shop... Good idea! I will check out the one we have in town and hopefully that will give me a better selection than what I have found online. Thank you for that tip!

  • 10 years ago
    Hi, just went on Wayfair; they have lots! Just make sure you measure the opening; you have the original shades. They come in a few sizes:)
  • 10 years ago

    SandyC, Thanks for your vote! Problem is I don't love the bare bulb look either. These pendants are over my penninsula bar between my kitchen and living room so they can be seen from the entire downstairs living area. Really hoped I could find some new shades to dress them up to coordinate with my existing furnishings. The search continues!

  • 10 years ago
    Hi, I had the same problem, trying to replace an antique chandelier glass shades. The problem is 2 inch fittings are few and far between and you have a screw type fitting. I didn't see any on Wayfair that would fit. They are either the wrong fitting type of wrong size.
  • 10 years ago

    lynartist, All of the shades I found on Wayfair with the standard 2.25" fitter opening were either traditional bell shaped, and /or frosted glass that looked like ceiling fan light shades. None that would go well with my Edison bulb pendants. Did I miss some?

  • 10 years ago
    I googled hand blown glass replacement shades for lighting . Lots of things came up but Wayfair had lots, some fan lights but others also. Try that and see, otherwise go the store route. They should have catalogs with lots of hand blown glass in many colors and shapes. Length is important too so measure before you go, and have a good idea of how wide you want them on the open end.
  • 10 years ago
    Hope this helps
  • 10 years ago
    As Flair Lighting said above, the 2 inch screw type is very limited. Since you don't plan on keeping these, I would not spend a lot of time and money on this. As I said when I did my search, it was impossible to find cool looking glass shades in 2 inch. glass. Anything you order from a catalogue as a replacement will most probably be nonreturnable.
  • 10 years ago
    Rejuvenation.com has some wire ones.
    40love66 thanked Janet Mmm
  • 10 years ago
    401, are you sure the circumference is 2 in. Looks bigger to me. Just measure across the top of the old shade.
  • 10 years ago
    Wow they have wire 2 1/8 inch wire ones! Not a bad price either.
  • 10 years ago

    lynartist, I did see all those shades on Wayfair, but since I want clear glass shades that will show my Edison bulbs, the only few ones I saw that would fit were bell shaped like these (best ones) that still look more like ceiling fan lights to me:


    I will definitely try the lampshade store to see what they have in catalogs that can be ordered too, but I am expecting the price of those to be prohibitive. I will also bring in one of my old shades with me to get the correct size. Thanks for all your help!


    SandyC, The thumb screws on my fixtures do allow for both 2" and 2.25" standard size fitter shades, like the 2 pictures above from Wayfair, and there were several others I found with this size fitter both online and at Lowe's and Home Depot. They are just not the style I am looking for to go with Edison bulbs.

    I was planning on keeping my fixtures for at least another year, but if I cannot find a cost effective way to update the shades (less than $200 for 3), I may have to settle for new lower end fixtures in that price range. Thank you for your help!


  • 10 years ago

    Here is the old one:

  • 10 years ago

    janetmm59, I just saw the 2 wire ones on rejuvenation.com and they are great for only $30! They look like they might be black, but nothing a little bronze metallic spray paint can't fix. Thank you so much for finding these!!

  • 10 years ago
    Wow, they looked bigger in the picture! Just googled" industrial wire bulb covers" lots of stuff for not a lot of $
    40love66 thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago
    Oops wrong one!
    40love66 thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago

    Yes! Definitely more options with the wire cage shades than the glass ones! Winner!!

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for all your help with my search! I guess changing shades on these pendant fixtures is like fixing a broken PC or smart phone... It's cheaper and more practical to just replace them entirely! I am excited that now I can just get all new "permanent" fixtures versus finding what I thought would be a "cheaper" shade to suffice for a year until I dish out $500 or so for a new set! NOT!!

    Anyway, here are the 2 fixtures I am deciding between to replace my old ones for even less than I planned on paying for just new replacement shades:

    This one is only $39.99 on Amazon with Free Prime shipping!


    And this one is only $29.99 on Amazon with Free Prime shipping!!!


    I love them both but I am leaning more towards the first one.

    Look at how much they resemble these 2 from Restoration Hardware that sell for $129...

    and $169 (vs $29.99 on Amazon)!!!

    OK maybe not quite the same quality, but the RH ones are OVER 3 and 5 TIMES the price of Amazon's!! Wow!!

    SO... What do you guys think about this? Should I get all 3 pendants in one of the above styles (probably the first one for $39.99) OR... should I get one of each of the 2 styles above, and get this one below for the 3rd light, so that each one is a different style but in the same finish??

    Btw, this one is only $24.99 on Amazon! Amazing!!


  • 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago
    I like!! Well Flair and everyone were right but sometimes it's just fun to take the round about journey to get there:) I really do like these though; whichever one rings your bell!
    40love66 thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, flair lighting was correct about the glass-type shades I was looking for in saying "glass is 80% the cost on these types of fixtures, so by the time you locate them, you might have just replaced them.", but... I had no idea that I would be able to find so many of the wire cage type fixtures for less $ than just a glass shade, and at a fraction of the cost of all the lights I was interested in but couldn't afford! Sure was worth the time spent searching the wonderful web! Thanks for your thoughtful input!

  • 9 years ago

    check out https://www.schoolhouseelectric.com. they have loads of really cool vintage, modern lighting options that you can mix and match. Most importantly, it's a large selection you won't find elsewhere for the most part. All of the dimensions are listed on each pendant/lighting fixture/shade, so you could quickly identify if it would work for your pendant or not. Good luck!