Software
Houzz Logo Print
masnoc

Mattress: memory foam vs pillow top

10 years ago

we are planning to get a new mattress.never tried memory foam earlier. During our testing in the shop it felt comfortable but expensive. Willing to pay provided it serves the purpose. Any feedback or your experiences? That I can use as checklist?

thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago

    the downside of pillow top is you cannot flip the mattress over, only rotate.

    the downside of memory foam is some of them have a really strange odor that persists forever.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    We have a Serta 2 sided pillow top, so it can be flipped. I have a bad back and it's been a blessing and believe you really get what you pay for in a good quality mattress and considering the time spent sleeping and the years you have it, it's a worthwhile investment. We paid close to $1,000 about 10 years ago and it's like the day we bought it.

  • 10 years ago

    We had a double-sided pillow top for years. I believed it was $800 new back 15 years ago, and it's still going strong. I know, it's almost end of life now, but after sleeping on it, my back is good as new. I really don't want to throw it away because I am so afraid any new mattress won't live up to our current one.

    Slept on memory foam at hotels and really didn't like them much.


    Make sure to buy your new mattress during a holiday, you definitely can get a good price on it.

  • 10 years ago
    I love my "bob-o-pedic" (off brand memory foam) mattress. It has been good for my back. One thing I really love is that I barely feel movement from my husband's movement on other side of bed. (Actually I'm the more restless sleeper so it probably works the other way usually in our house!)
    Mas noc thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • 10 years ago
    I love memory foam feel but it makes me feel so hot. I've heard they have been improved. Also there may be some hybrid mattresses. I need to get a new one and need to do research.
    Mas noc thanked toriat
  • 10 years ago
    Do not buy a White Dove. We rotate it 90 degrees every time we change the sheets. There is still a deep groove that appears after two nights. I like the old style, flip it over type of mattress from days of yore. Is there even a good mattress out there any more?
    Mas noc thanked Moxiemom
  • 10 years ago
    Buy a latex mattress!! We love our Brooklyn Bedding #bestmattressever. (Yes that is what it is called:).
    Mas noc thanked Casandra383 Dean
  • 10 years ago

    Love our pillow top. It's at the end of its days and I dread shopping for a new mattress. No you can't flip but you can rotate it. The only drawback we've had is that it makes the bed much higher (I'm short) and you need sheets with extra deep pockets, as well as a duvet that's larger (we use a King size duvet for a queen size bed).

    Have slept as a guest on memory foam mattresses and they were okay. Just not my pillow top.

    Mas noc thanked Jennifer Dube
  • 10 years ago

    Our Serta memory foam is 10 yrs old. It IS hot--and supposedly ours was to wisk away the heat but doesn't really. Supposedly that has improved dramatically. I like it otherwise.

    Mas noc thanked Toni McCormick
  • 10 years ago

    I've been sleeping on Icomfort 2.5 weeks and love it. There's no movement transfer which is great for me the light sleeper. I doesn't seem to get hot. Latex was never an option for us since latex is a toxic substance for me.

    Mas noc thanked ocotillaks
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all. Finally we decided and try sleeping on the mattress before buying. Also mostly leaning towards double pillow tops. Thans again

  • 10 years ago

    You can have a look at this site for the reviews of some best memory foam mattresses, I would recommend some mattresses that work best for you.

  • 10 years ago
    Try a latex mattress!! We LOVE our Brooklyn Bedding #bestmattressever!!! I can't stand to go on vacations now because the beds make my back hurt too much!!