Software
Houzz Logo Print
luckofthedraw

Need help picking out a kitchen backsplash!

10 years ago

kitchen · More Info

Walls have been painted Benjamin Moore "Ranchwood". Cabinets are cream, granite is giall ornamental. This pic was taken at night but get lots of natural light in this room. It's a small kitchen. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago

    Give us more to work with. A picture taken the daytime would be best. Where in the country are you, what is the environment like? What are your dishes like? Do you want to be trendy or timeless? Nothing is truly timeless, though! What have you seen that you like? What is the next room decorated like?

    You have a warm brown color palate with your stone, so there are a million different ways to go. Do you like a large flat surface or a textured surface like a lot of smaller tiles? Do you like glass tiles? Mother of Pearl? While we are talking about big expensive purchases, what do you want to spend?

  • 10 years ago

    I have attached a few more pics. I live in Ontario, Canada in a small village. I'm definitely not into anything trendy - prefer timeless. I LOVE mother-of-pearl tiles but too expensive for me - also thought it might be too busy? Iridescent tiles are nice too. The walls have been painted Benjamin Moore "Ranchwood". Saw a pic on this site of a cream kitchen with 1" square brown irisdescent glass tiles that I thought looked awesome?! Definitely want something glossy, shiny etc.


    kitchen · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Maybe white glass would be the right thing -- more reasonable cost, but brings some glitter and fun.

  • 10 years ago

    Iridescent white glass? I like the idea of some glitter! Thank you for this.

  • 10 years ago

    Lets go see what Oceanside Glass tile has on their sale site.......http://www.xsstudio.net/glass-mosaic.html#filters

    I like the iridescent sand hexagons:

    Item# XS-5196-J4412

    Regular price: $36.00

    XS price: $19.99


    Raindrop Iridescent if you like white:

    7/8 x 1 3/8 - 30% Offset
    Raindrop (Irid)
    Regular price: $36.00
    XS price: $19.99

    7/8" x 7/8" clear iridescent or cloud iridescent (different item #):
    Item# XS-72772-J4213
    Regular price: $36.00
    XS price: $19.99

    If you want shiny and don't care if it is iridescent, here is a much less expensive one in the color papyrus:
    Item# xs-M4002-1114-0
    Regular price: $24.00
    XS price: $6.99
    Quantity : 214 Available

    To see the colors in person before you buy from the sale site, you need to go to OceansideGlassTile.com and find a tile store that carries their tiles. The "# available" tells you how many sheets (usually about a sq ft) they have of the color. You need to know precisely how many square feet you need.


    I like Oceanside, I used them in my first backsplash. They have some recycled content. Check out their website and learn more. Made in USA, last I knew.

  • 10 years ago

    Tile bar has some gorgeous pearl tiles for a reasonable price. They also have in my opinion amazing mirrored tiles. Here are some ideas, but there are plenty to choose from.

    http://tilebar.com/mini-brick-oyster-white-pearl-tile.html

    http://tilebar.com/mother-of-pearl-oyster-white-tile.html

    http://tilebar.com/reflection-paris-gray-mirror-tile.html



  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I can see you have a stainless steel appliance.

    Try a stainless steel sheet as backsplash. theres a cheap self adhesive ones from Home depot. good luck!

    luckofthedraw thanked GR Concept
  • 10 years ago

    what does anyone think of a taupe coloured backsplash?

  • 10 years ago

    Taupe could be nice with that stone counter top. Just be sure it looks good with the undertones of your paint, too. I disagree with the above comment about putting white tile with cream cabinets. Nope. Don't. Ivory, yes, white, no. Get the backsplash taupe tile sample and a paint sample and photograph them with the stone in daylight and at different angles. Then with whatever lighting source you will have. Some light sources change the colors of things significantly. Make sure yours won't make your colors clash before you go through with the changes.

  • 10 years ago

    kitchen · More Info

    Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it. I have attached a picture of the tiles I'm thinking of going with I think they look good with the stone and the paint. Any comments
    kitchen · More Info

    ?

  • 10 years ago

    I am not good with such a long distance photo, I need close ups to tell if colors work together. I hope someone else will jump in with an opinion for you!

  • 10 years ago
    IMO, they are too glittery for the counter, they might go with a black counter but I think a subway tile in one of the colours in the stone would look better. I'm also in Ontario and will be building this summer and have ordered cream cabinets so will be very interested in your progress.
    Heather
  • 10 years ago
    Our new home has light taupe (very light almost greige) subway tiles in the kitchen and they are gorgeous. They have a shine to them (not matte) so they have a flair but not at all flashy. I say at lest try subway tiles. Also think of resell value down the road.
Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio