Software
Houzz Logo Print
thaxto

What can I do with this?!

10 years ago
This is an antique butcher's block that we've inherited. It was once used in a country store in southern VA, belonging to my husband's great-grandfather. I love it & want to use it in our home.
Our relative who last owned it used it as a sort of kitchen island. Our kitchen presently doesn't allow for that.
Currently my thoughts are to incorporate it into a Bar Area. Some concerns are: the surface is not flat; and it weighs about 300 pounds.
Any suggestions?

Comments (17)

  • 10 years ago

    I love it. Can't be specific because I don't know your house, but you can use it as a sofa table, end table, bedside table or hall table. It can be anywhere. Using it as part of a bar set up sounds great. I like the hall table idea. Inside the door to catch keys and purses? Or with just a vase of fresh flowers on it?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    What a wonderful piece of history to have! Not being privy to your home/decor and current configuration it makes it difficult answer the question you posed. Short of redesigning your home around it I suggest you find a place in the kitchen or dining room for it. At the very least you can have a custom, raised, varied height, footed platter made for the surface to allow you to set things on it.

    You can make your own by securing levelers to a thick wooden platter.


    Be sure to use mineral oil on it and you can disinfect it with peroxide if need be.

    As a note if you use it by the barbecue be sure to cover it.

  • 10 years ago

    It is gorgeous. My folks have an old butcher block table - bigger than yours, and more irregularly shaped - that was cut down to coffee table height and has been their coffee table forever. So beautiful. But like you said very heavy! Good luck finding the perfect spot to showcase it in your home.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Yes, and I'm curious what the large nut/bolt function is? :)

  • 10 years ago

    Since the surface is uneven have glass cut larger than the top to put over it to give you a solid surface. If it comes to within 1" of the arm height of some of your seating it can be used as a side table. If you have a large entry you can use it as a foyer table and top it with an arrangement. In the fall add an antique dough trough filled with seasonal gourds. If the glass won't lie flat due to unevenness of the outer edges, use little clear plastic sticky lifts to level it out.

  • 10 years ago

    My family used to have a butcher block like that and you're right, they weigh a TON! We had it in a corner of our kitchen for several years and eventually gave it away - not much use for it in a vegetarian household. The uneven surface was caused by wear to the block, and you could get someone with the right tools to plane it and sand it back to a level surface although this would end up eliminating some of the character it has built over the years. If it were still in use commercially re-finishing the surface would actually be done every few years when it started showing signs of wear - that's why the block is so thick. Here's a video about how to refinish a block: https://youtu.be/dbLBVyndjAY

  • 10 years ago
    Gorgeous! Love what you did with yours & I intend to find a basket EXACTLY like the one you have underneath it. Yours is a good 9" taller than ours. Unfortunately our foyer / hall is too small to accommodate it. Looks like at one time your block had something similar to the 4 medallion looking bolts (or whatever they are?) that remain on ours. I don't know what
    Purpose, if any, they served. Do you?
    I've had such wonderful responses to my "delimma"! Thanks for your response and picture! Until I can afford to make structural changes to incorporate it into a bar area off our kitchen, I intend to place it in front of a window in family room in much the same way you've fashioned yours.
    THANKYOU.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The sawed off dowels or caps are actually covers for bolts that hold sections of the wood together via compression.

  • 10 years ago

    @lucidos, have you been posting about your house? Amazing what the houzzers know!!

  • 10 years ago

    Not currently Deb. I'm in the ever ongoing process of ripping (non asbestos) cottage cheese from the monsters ceilings. Would be easier if I didn't have to wrestle tons of furniture room to room.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks so much for the helpful & creative ideas!
    I like the idea of incorporating "levelers", lending it more useful towards a bar. Unfortunately this will have to be in the not so distant future, when we're ready to clear out dated cabinetry to create space for my "future bar"; at which point I may hang a couple of shelves several feet up, from which to hang wine glasses & stock other bar accoutrements.
    The You-tube video is also very helpful! - I don't know if I'm willing to resurface it yet, but you never know.
    In the meantime I shall copy the idea of using it as a table! (wish it would fit in my foyer or front hall!) and I'm running off to Home Goods in search of a basket just like the one in your photo!
    Thanks everyone!
  • 10 years ago

    Another way to level the top is to drill holes near the corners and drop nuts with bolts into them. Then you can level the bolts and place a piece of glass on them. That way you would still see the wooden surface.

  • 10 years ago

    Throw a large basket on the top. You could just use it for decor: pinecones for winter, or cards that arrive. Or to catch everyone's keys or to hold the mail.

  • 10 years ago
    We found an antique butcher block in the basement storage of our old house. The previous owner owned a butcher shop in the early 1900s. We love it and are planning on incorporating it into the flow of our countertops as a prep/cutting surface. We clean it with "John Taylor" Food Grade Mineral Oil and it looks great! Be sure to keep the original caps. They cover the beams that run through the piece and hold it together. Many blocks have lost them over the years. It's a treasure to have the entire piece. I've seen them in antique auctions and stores for up to $3,000.
  • 10 years ago
    Also, we added casters to the feet because it is so HEAVY that it took 5 men to move it!!
  • 10 years ago
    I put casters on the bottom of mine so it rolls. I use it in the kitchen to cho next to the stove, next tot he bbq grill, next to the sink. Love it. Don't ruin it by cutting it down.