Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emehouse1

Help glamming up this living room space

emehouse1
8 years ago
Hi, I want to glam this formal living room up and need some help deciding how to do. I am ready to invest in some pieces possibly a credenza and a an affordable art piece/ large mirror, new throw pillows and table top accessories . I Have tons of ideas but want to put it together just right. Please help by telling what you think of my ideas or by sharing your ideas.

Comments (179)

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, playing with the idea of large art work vs large mirror. I moved a large art piece from dining room here to visualize what it would look like. I think the colors are a bit strong for the look I'm going for so I wouldn't move this specific piece here. For size reference it is about 40 inch by 50 inch with frame.

The other option is large floor mirror. The horchow one zz mom listed above is on sale $ 525 . It measures 44 width by 79 height.

Another idea many have mentioned is console table in opposite wall. I could also put the art piece or the mirror above that ? I could bring in black or just stick to whites ?

Thoughts on floor mirror vs large art piece? Thanks in advance

• terry toon
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes to the art. You needed some color in here. Love the sofas. The end tables seem way too tall though.

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like this painting and it's affordable too only available in sizes

Smallest 24x24 and then largest 40x40.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Just a thought, how about removing the lamps and end tables to the outside of sofas? Push the sofa closer to wall and hang large mirror between the 2?

Other end... or add sofa tables behind for lamps. Gives a more interesting look to back of sofa. If you don't have room to have 2 tables and 2 sofas, then just do 1 and place floor lamp in corner by window.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Or push sofas to wall and bring end tables to other end with lamps.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm new to the thread, but I must say that I love your room and love the glamorous vibe you are aiming to achieve. I love Mark's rendering; of course I recognize the artist, and if I'm right, she has a very sophisticated style.

I also love the idea of adding a splash of color to the walls. With your neutral palette, you could choose to go in just about any direction with art. I love the idea of art, though, instead of a using a mirror for your space. The right size art is an important factor to consider here, though.

Hope these pictures help inspire you. Good luck!

Money Hill · More Info

Ideabook 3 · More Info

Palo Alto Residence · More Info

Horchow · More Info

emehouse1 thanked User
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

You could do the same thing with silver mirror. This one is 58" long. or the picture is 50"x40"

• PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 years ago
    I personally would rather be sitting on the sofa looking at art than a reflection of myself. The right piece will find you.
    emehouse1 thanked HMH Development Inc
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

I would definitely look to getting a sofa table, so much more interest on the back.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Love love love the Horchow mirror...looking at your inspiration pictures I don't think you want bright colors. But more of a subtle glam French look....you can always add beautiful soft colored palette pillows with some silver metallic accessories. A sofa table on the other wall with soft colored art would be absolutely gorgeous! Not sure why you removed your rug...looks like you have done blue in your dinning room so bringing soft blues and silvers would be great. Just Sayin!
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    This is a really pretty piece of art from zgallery..on sale now 20% off..really nice size for the price. May be a good option over sofa table or chest if you put one across from mirror on opposite wall.
  • jerseypeach15
    8 years ago

I love Mark's suggestions!

emehouse1 thanked jerseypeach15
  • johncuck
    8 years ago
    that white table would be perfect
    emehouse1 thanked johncuck
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    I think that is her table already
    emehouse1 thanked zzmom40
  • emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi. So still playing with all the ideas you've all mentioned. Here is picture of wall paper ( in place of large art piece ) 78 width by 64 length. I put one lamp in corner ( in place of possible floor lamp).

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Art pieces I have found that are oversized and fit my budget are here . Some are square though not like th pictur of my wall paper which is wider than it is taller. Thoughts on size? I was thinking one floor lamp or no lamps at all with this set up. Thoughts. I could put console table with lamp on opposite wall as some have suggested?

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I go black I know I'd probably have to move the rug and introduce more black. I was thinking if I do go that direction a floor lamp like this

• susan2494
    8 years ago

emehouse1 thanked susan2494
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

emehouse1 thanked susan2494
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Love the floor lamp with black shade..very pretty... Feeling like that size art is not proportional to the size of the room..to big.....just a thought..I know is is hard to take in all the different ideas...good luck
  • emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm so greatful for everyone's input. I want to get it just right and I know I need help.

Here the wall paper is 68 width by 64 length. Thoughts ?

Also I put the end tables ( to get idea of what console on the opposite side would look like). Thoughts ?

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here wallpaper it's about 59 width by 59 length .

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This art piece is 40 inch wide by 50 inch tall

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This wallpaper is 49 width by 45 length.

Thoughts on size and art work here ?

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    evulcain....I guess I want to head back to where you started..I just feel like you should concentrate on the large wall and put a chest or small credenza there...that way you can add art or mirror above it and add needed lighting in the sitting area. just not feeling the sofa table on the opposite wall it seems to take away from a focal point. I would concentrate on the sitting area and make it fabulous....when that is finished it will give you a better idea of what is needed on opposite wall....also when that sitting area is done you might think about adding new drapes with a soft pattern..would be a beautiful backdrop to your cream sofas.
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 years ago

Here's a photo that just might help. They used a wall mural.

Dream Room 2014 · More Info

emehouse1 thanked HMH Development Inc
  • PRO
    Advanced Design Concepts
    8 years ago
    Every room should have a focal point, check out the 15 principals of elements of design. Make that wall your focal point with credenza, Art work, not mirror, layer with white vases, large branches, black candle sticks always for ambiance and pop. Good luck. Check out my web site@www.advancedesignconcepts.com/home.
    emehouse1 thanked Advanced Design Concepts
  • emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How about these ikea inspirations ?

just things I pulled for idea of course. What I'd like to know is if I got the best ikea and mounted it on wall would it be a good idea?

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Terrence Howell Home Staging and Art
    8 years ago

I love Susan2494's abstracts, they are the bomb. If you do nothing else go with these large scale abstracts. Look up the American abstract expressionist Franz Kline, this should give you a better idea on where we're all going with this. This blast of bold abstracts says it all. This will give this room that pop that you're looking for.

emehouse1 thanked Terrence Howell Home Staging and Art
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    The IKEA BEST would work...Not a bad deal...sure would be a lot of pieces to put together but if on a tight budget it has a nice look with the high gloss. I was shopping on Houzz and found a few buffets you might like for a very reasonable price.
  • emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi. I've come across yet another idea that I'm hoping may help distract from those air vents. Thoughts ?

Thanks again .

• PRO
    Design Builders & Remodeling Inc.
    8 years ago

I think it is a great canvas and you have solid neutral place to start. If you want to change the lamp shades add some throw pillows, a console, a dramatic mirror it would be a great inexpensive fix. Get some sparkle

Good luck Hilary

• PRO
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Evulcain I love built ins but they only look good if they are set into wall and run from end to end. Otherwise they just look like bookshelves. Would you run them across the entire wall?
    It can get pricey...built ins need lots of accessories! Sorry you are so undecided on your space...it is a beautiful room that I feel really wouldn't take much to make fabulous!
  • ashtonchic
    8 years ago

Here is a pretty console table to put on end wall between sofas. I would put sophisticated piece of art over it and some sculptural vases on it. Maybe an ottoman instead of coffee table.

House of Hampton Mirrored Console Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Black and White Bouquet Nature Photography BW by dillondesignslab · More Info

emehouse1 thanked ashtonchic
  • ashtonchic
    8 years ago

I'd get 3 of these to use as coffee tables between couches with a mirrored round tray on one or two.

Exclusive Black velvet gold Pearl nailheads by LANGElfurniture · More Info

emehouse1 thanked ashtonchic
  • PRO
    Martin Designs - Home Staging with a Vision
    8 years ago

a large piece of artwork where the skinny mirror is now, there is a lack of colour and pop....

emehouse1 thanked Martin Designs - Home Staging with a Vision
  • pjdavis36
    8 years ago

Didn't take time to see if this has already been suggested so sorry if its a repeat. How about putting wall paper on that wall. Maybe a wide gold and white or black and white horizontal stripe.

emehouse1 thanked pjdavis36
  • Pam H
    8 years ago
    So many good ideas that could each work. Yet, all so different. I hope you are not as confused as I am. Good luck!
    emehouse1 thanked Pam H
  • Tems
    8 years ago

Heres something for fun, maybe a bit much, lol!

emehouse1 thanked Tems
  • Shelley Parchment
    8 years ago
    Love the credenzas.....either colour...put lamps on credenza and stage it as a bar. Put a large round frameless mirror/ or a mirror with gold frame above credenza....change lamp shades to black to ground room and black pillows along with gold and creams for couches. (add a large white fur pillow for a bit of fun and glam)
    emehouse1 thanked Shelley Parchment
  • emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everyone, sorry for the lapse in time. My husband loved the bookcase idea to display art and also to distract the eye from the air vents . Im currently waiting for quotes to see how much it would be.

I'm getting quotes using this pic as a model. Please let me know your thoughts.

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was thinking I'd paint the back of the bookcase an almost black espresso color.reason being it would be very close to black but match the floor which has some brown tones and I could paint the air vents so they would be less apparent. I'd also have to move the curtain rod down abit. I was invisioning having the rod extend just a bit on each side of window ( which would also cover switches ) and add a darker curtain.

• emehouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

rhe inspiration to paint book case dark color came from this picture but I prefer the uncluttered look of the bookcase above .

Black curtain

Thanks again for all your feedback .

• wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    Did you make a decision about the bookcases? Are you still considering art for that wall? I love the abstracts you were pondering in your Dec 5 post. The paper cutouts looked good too. I like the art because it's dramatic and eye catching and yet it maintains the airy and uncluttered vibe in your space. A sofa table behind the couch that leads into the dining area would provide a good spot for those lamps.
    My concern about the bookcase is that it will eat up valuable floor space. I also wouldn't want to see the bookcase diminish your window. I love how your drapes currently run the length of that wall. I wouldn't want to see them hidden behind a bookcase.
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Hi hope all is Going well with your space! I was shopping on Joss & Main today and saw this gorgeous white credenza with mirrored top...had to post it for you...it is perfect for your wall.
  • Chikka BangBang
    8 years ago
    Really love ur coffee table .mwhere did you get it from? Thanks
  • Shelley Blue
    8 years ago
    replace the lamps with taupe shades or just replace shades.