Software
Houzz Logo Print
bbkieffer

Living Room design help

10 years ago

The layout attached is what I am hoping will work. This is our main living room and it is a narrow room that opens to the dining room (the 7'11" opening). The pocket door leads to the hallway. If anyone has a better idea, please let me know. If a sectional can't work, then I am open to a sofa and new tables. I currently have an oversized sofa, loveseat and a recliner. It is just not working for me anymore. The hubby says the recliner stays. Please share your opinion, ideas, pros/cons, etc. Thank you.

bbkieffer's ideas · More Info

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you flair lighting. That's a great idea.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Not sure my proportions and furniture sizes are exact, but here's a thought...

  • 10 years ago

    do all these pieces of furniture have to stay in the room? for example, the chair with the half circle console/table next to it...?

  • 10 years ago

    Chaya25, no not all the pieces have to stay. I am open to change!

  • 10 years ago

    I prefer sofas and chairs myself, gives more flexibility. My difficulty with this room is that, in your version i have to look at a tv over 20' away. In other versions, i don't get to look out the window. I would float your sofa/sectional just to the left of the pocket door and then put the tv on the left hand wall.

  • 10 years ago

    I think less is more! If you use this room to watch TV frequently then I would definitely eliminate some furniture. If the hubby says keep the recliner, I would get rid of the other table and chair.


    Every chair and sofa should have a clear view of the TV.

  • 10 years ago

    that is pretty close, but don't you think the comfort chairs should face the tv, so they don't get crooks?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Add one 3-seat sofa, one armchair, two lamps, one square side table, art & plants.

  • 10 years ago
    I guess that depends on 2 things. Is the sole purpose of the room to watch tv? And if yes, how many people at a time? Will all the seats be taken?
    Or is it also for reading? Conversing with family and/or guests? Picking up ur feet on the couch and relaxing? Or a mixture of all together? Then no, they don't all have to be facing it.
  • 10 years ago

    This room is mainly for watching tv. There are only 2 of us 90% of the time, and we entertain occasionally, but we can pull in dining room chairs if necessary.

  • 10 years ago
    We can try a another idea I have for you...I will draw it up and post it a bit later.
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you!

  • 10 years ago
    Bump-any more ideas?
  • 10 years ago

    Ok, i think that we have eeked out most of the arrangement ideas. Are you on the same page with this?

    Are you going to need help with furnishings, etc. or did you just want the arrangement help?

  • 10 years ago

    I just want arrangement help. Chaya25 you said you may have another layout for me. I appreciate all the help. I may need help on the furnishings, but I really want to get the scale/layout in my head first. Thanks everyone for the great ideas so far!

  • 10 years ago
    Hi. Things have been hectic so I didn't have much time to sit down to it, but how about something like this...?
  • 10 years ago

    I like that too Chaya25! I think this weekend I will be moving things around and seeing if I can get a feel for the arrangements. I don't have a sectional yet, and now I am thinking more of a sofa with a large ottoman that can act as a "chaise" when I need it.

  • 10 years ago
    Try playing around and combining from all the images I drew for you...(sorry it's not very neat, didn't have much time..)
  • 10 years ago
    Good luck!
  • 10 years ago

    top left drawing minus the second sofa, provides best of both worlds, watch tv and look out windows.