Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pccdesign

Dated kitchen needed an update on a budget - do you like it?

We refinished the existing cabinets in a distressed paint finish. Installed a new custom island with beautiful granite top, new quartz counter-tops throughout the rest of the kitchen, glass mosaic back-splash, new moldings and updated the under-cabinet lighting.

Before:

After:

Comments (126)

• Donna Smedick
    8 years ago

WAAAAY too much junk messing it up.

• Edie Strom
    8 years ago
    I think this kitchen is beautiful. I think that a lot of commenters have sour grapes in their mouths. Just don't comment if you have nothing pleasant to say.
    Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Edie Strom
  • Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago

I think most of the comments that run negative have nothing to do w/ the design, but other factors. Here some comments have had to do w/ island countertop. That's a design subject. But clutter isn't. It's more homeowner habitability choices. A few months ago on a pantry topic, some commenters made statements about the contents of the pantries, as they didn't like the owner's choices. No design criteria there. It's one thing to comment on paint color choices, another to comment about what's on the fridge.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Bruce Crawford
  • Etoncev
    8 years ago

It is a real kitchen and every live-in kitchen has clutter. Transformation is amazing and using and repaint all cabinetry looks very god and environmental friendly. Great job!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Etoncev
  • User
    8 years ago

I think its so pretty, nice job.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked User
  • Elraes Miller
    8 years ago

Your cabinets and counter are beautiful and must have taken forever to get this done. My comments are a bit different from the others, but somewhat like them. The trim above the cabinets is so close to the ceiling, I would add an additional filler to go all the way. Or at least leave the area clear of anything. I think the clutter is more due to the busy, busy back splash. A more serene one would have been my choice.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Elraes Miller
  • Carrie Phulley
    8 years ago

WELL done!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Carrie Phulley
  • PRO
    Master's Touch Kitchen & Bath Works
    8 years ago

Impressive re-do. Love the new island.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Master's Touch Kitchen & Bath Works
  • PRO
    Willow Lane Cabinetry
    8 years ago

Gorgeous transformation!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Willow Lane Cabinetry
  • PRO
    Ina Drosu design&fine art
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is an excellent job on a tight budget, no doubt the improvement is major: nice choice of materials and combination of textures ( though I would have used a different wall color). There is, however, a fine line between a space that is lived-in and one that is disharmonious, and this has nothing to do with budget. Function, Style, and Atmosphere are three concepts one deals with when designing a room. When one changes Style but not the other two, the "feel" remains the same no matter how well it is done, and the function has not been improved. In this case, overabundance of small objects lessens function and atmosphere, as does the treatment of natural light in the space. Light and work surface would be made more effective by decluttering both visually and physically: remove anything obscuring windows; if budget is small buy inexpensive racks and organizers that can be placed inside cabinets for easy access of all that was previously on counters; remove objects sitting on wall cabinets and mask to match fridge wall, or as an alternative, add matching up-swinging doors to keep and hide space. Mitigate discrepancy in window sizes, shapes, and placement with matching treatments that leave as much light in as possible, and whose height gives the illusion that they are the same. One last thing... It is best for the microwave to be placed under the counter for health reasons.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Ina Drosu design&fine art
  • bbb211
    8 years ago
    Cabinets look great but the wall Color doesn't match.
    Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked bbb211
  • Marion Holtzmann
    8 years ago

glad you got rid of all the fridge clutter on the doors...... looks great!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Marion Holtzmann
  • Seema Satish
    8 years ago

Niz look

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Seema Satish
  • eneguess
    8 years ago

I think this is lovely (despite being over-run with clutter).....the choices are quite nice with the exception of the back-splash tile. Everything in this kitchen has a very traditional feel.........and the tiny linear multicolored tile is so contemporary. I think something less visually busy would have been a better choice.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked eneguess
  • redpeppr
    8 years ago
    What a beautiful transformation. I'm updating my dated kitchen next month and looking to buy counter stools with a cleanable cushion. Where did you purchase yours?
    Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked redpeppr
  • PRO
    In Style Modern
    8 years ago

Magnificent transformation! It’s a modernized kitchen with a
    touch of class. The flowers and ornamental plants create a very natural
    ambience. I like everything that’s in this kitchen.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked In Style Modern
  • hotzim
    8 years ago

We are all guilty of this, but notice the refrigerator in the before picture, covered with magnets, papers, clutter. Notice the refrigerator in the after picture! A great advantage/disadvantage of stainless refrigerators is the magnets don't work. We could all have a more attractive kitchen for no cost by just taking the junk of our refrigerators.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked hotzim
  • Barbara Williams
    8 years ago

Love the colors used. Even with the redo, there is so much clutter. I think the busy backsplash contributes to that messy look. You have a lovely kitchen, just get rid of half of what is out to look at and on the wall. The plant stand, move it to the patio.

• shelleykay
    8 years ago

This is a knockout kitchen. Sophisticated, serious, formal. But I question whether it matches the client's personality. The client seems to be someone who is informal, fun, loves plants and just living in general. The wine bottle display on the counter seems to match the mood of this kitchen. But the frog, oranges displayed on the island, etc. do not belong. Perhaps the first question to ask the client before beginning the design is what personal objects mean a lot to her and what she wants to use in her kitchen. Either she needs help to see that the frog does not match her new sophisticated persona, or she needed a kitchen where that frog would be happy sitting on the counter in all his green glory! Like the fun kitchen pictured below (with bright yellow-green tiles substituted for the blue ones to highlight the frog, or bright green on the door instead of red.) Then, hang a bright green towel on the dishwasher and just let the client enjoy the things that bring her joy.

Lu-In+Dave: Squirrel Hill, PA · More Info

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked shelleykay
  • marynaz
    8 years ago

My first impression was that the redo was beautiful. The only things that distracted me were the baker's rack, the orages and the vase of flowers but I didn't consider that part of the redo. Then I started to read the comments and look for all the issues and then i remembered why I haven't been here in six months. My snarky comment is a question: what kind of "budget" allows a custom-built island with granite top and new quartz countertops?"

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked marynaz
  • PRO
    Pacific Coast Custom Design
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Marynaz; it is the type of budget that doesn't allow for new cabinets, removing the soffit, taking cabinets to the ceiling... so it is around $20,000+ less than the other options :)

• Elaine Downer
    8 years ago
    Looks amazing. What a great job!
    Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Elaine Downer
  • PRO
    Blue Lotus Designs
    8 years ago

Great transformation, even though you had to keep the existing cabinets.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Blue Lotus Designs
  • angelkins7
    8 years ago

I love the update! I would love to have this as my kitchen. I would love to be invited over and eat in this kitchen. It is lovely and feels welcoming, end of story. I saw another budget kitchen reno discussion and didn't notice a single negative comment, yet I found the kitchen to look quite "phony" and plain, and I would feel very cold and uncomfortable as a guest there. Not so here. Excellent reno, in my humble opinion!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked angelkins7
  • PRO
    Hamilton Klow Architects
    8 years ago

The cabinets and tile floors are beautiful. Love the counter top as well.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Hamilton Klow Architects
  • asimon93
    8 years ago

You need to declutter all the stuff all over the kitchen and counters is a distraction. show off the new space and lose the clutter rule of thumb no more then 3 items displayed on counter

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked asimon93
  • littleprince2
    8 years ago

Having that wonderful island to sit at---the homeowner must love that.

I think all the choices go very nicely together: The paint choices, counters and backsplash. I think the backsplash is NOT too busy for the plain counter below it. I think IRL, the backsplash is far enough away from the island counter that they don't compete.

I like the personal touches, and seriously. The kitchen would be austere and personality-less/soulless without them.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked littleprince2
  • patriciah52
    8 years ago

I think the kitchen looks great. My next project would be to plant some tall trees along your fence line so your view out the kitchen window is not of the big house behind your back fence.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked patriciah52
  • Monica Calenda
    8 years ago
    Love it! Amazing change!
    Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Monica Calenda
  • mommy2david
    8 years ago

I don't get it. Why spend so much time, energy and money to remodel a kitchen only to make an effort at turning it back into what it was before in the end? All I saw when first glancing at the before photos was a lot of junk accumulated over the years placed wherever there was an empty spot. The after photos were basically the same, only darker. That could be a beautiful space even with a "lived-in" look however, the eye is drawn to all the unnecessary stuff in the forefront. Obviously, there was a great deal of thought put into the material choices and colors but I'm wondering whose thoughts they were - maybe not the homeowner's? The result they seem to have been going for is not what came about. It looks to me like a blending of two totally different personalities...one in the here and now with style and the other in the long-passed with a "whatever you have on hand" mindset.

I agree that the vent needs painting.

• Christine Villa
    8 years ago
    Does anyone read all the posts before commenting? Some of the same criticisms have been posted multiple times. My observation is that there was a transformation and the company, who posted a couple of comments about the project, did a lovely job. Perhaps they missed painting the vent and will offer to go back and do that after this feedback..lol. Otherwise, nicely done. Gorgeous choices - thank you for sharing options for what can be accomplished! Our budget was $4500 - painted cabinets, new hardware from 99 cent knobs.com, granite, new light, new sink/faucet, new paint. No $ for backsplash left. Got all the money and more back when it sold!
    Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Christine Villa
  • tarma
    8 years ago

I definitely wouldn't have painted the vent. The baseboards, switchplates, etc. are also white, so it's not like the vent is the only thing there that is white. It think it looks perfectly fine, and in fact I would prefer it the way it is.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked tarma
  • fritzpat2
    8 years ago

A little clutter control please. Remember how great it looked when it was just finished before you added the "personal touches"

• Cin Z
    8 years ago

I love the "clutter", that's called a "home" and it's her home. Very nice job.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Cin Z
  • tooky58
    8 years ago

It's a beautiful update and all that"clutter" is things that are important to them. If you can't find something nice about it don't post it. This is, after all, before and after, not design dilemma.

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked tooky58
  • jeronimosquest
    8 years ago

WOW !! Kudos. What a Super Re-model. I would feel Blessed to have your Talent. If you ever make it to ABQ, I'd love some advice. ;-)

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked jeronimosquest
  • PRO
    ERT Architects, Inc
    8 years ago

Beautiful! What a transformation.

• jasymo03
    8 years ago

what is "on a budget"..?? costs??

• PRO
    Kaplan Construction
    8 years ago

Wow! Beautiful transformation! Love the color choices, especially the color on the cabinets!

• HeatherK725
    8 years ago

Beautiful!!! Definitely inspiring!!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked HeatherK725
  • PRO
    Laura Lee Designs
    8 years ago

Love all the seating around the island, perfect for entertaining!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Laura Lee Designs
  • User
    8 years ago

I think that it is a great transformation. Although a little busy for my taste, if the homeowners love it then that's all that matters!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked User
  • jdcollects
    7 years ago

Looks great and I personally like seeing personal decor choices ie "clutter." It looks like a warm and inviting place and just a little happier with the frog. Lol

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked jdcollects
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    7 years ago

Very nice! I really like the cabinets! Thanks for sharing!

Pacific Coast Custom Design thanked Stecki Construction
  • trinityofsix83
    6 years ago

Does not look like the same space! Great job!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

The more kitchens I see that the cabinets were simply repainted the more I love that idea! They always look so great!

• PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    6 years ago

Great job!!

• Sara Parker
    6 years ago

Amazing!

• PRO
    nothing
    3 years ago

that was a graet

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

It is a vast improvement. Not a fan of the busy backsplash but it does seem to work ok in this space. Good job!