Software
Houzz Logo Print
atrombe1

What to put above fireplace??

10 years ago

I am starting to focus on finding something to put above my glass tile fireplace. The room is pretty small (heck, the entire house is!) and there is art work on 2 walls near it, so I was thinking maybe a fun mirror because I don't know what else my options are - any suggestions!?!

Please and thank you!

Comments (33)

  • 10 years ago

    Couple questions...

    Leaf is in the table so it's oval - take it out so it's round and then turn 1/4 or leave it oval?

    A new rug it not out of the question...

    I like seeing the pic with the drapes, thank you.

    We've just moved here and because we are on some land and have privacy, drapes have not been a priority yet.

    The tile is the same in the bathroom so I'm assuming they used the left over for the hearth. Definitely would not have been my choice either. Any suggestions on what to use to compliment the existing tile if I ever get around to changing it? I do like the tile enough to leave it.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Can't turn it if it's oval.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    SOLD!!! Original Abstract Paintings · More Info

    Artwork: http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

    Just an example:

    SOLD!!!-Art - Original Abstract Paintings 30 x 40 SOLD!!! · More Info

    Art - Original Abstract Paintings 36 x 36 · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    I agree you need a larger version of the circle rug. Can't offer artwork ideas for above the fireplace since it would need to flow with your existing art. Wonderful outdoor views of your yard.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    This looks like it's actually the living space. Maybe you could relocate the table and make it part of the room, instead of the focal point. Or, if you really want to use the table there, how about incorporating the table into the LR design? Here is a sample of a dual purpose LR...dining and lounging.

    Living Room Becomes A Work Space · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you put a mirror over the fireplace, then, as people are eating, they will see a reflection of...the ceiling! Boring. Pointless.

    Use some artwork. There's no such thing as too much art (just make sure it's good, and not some manufactured 'decor' item from Home Goods, Macy's, etc.).

    And the hearth? Yeah, I'm not crazy about it, but it would be simple enough to put a piece of fieldstone on top and let it hang over by just an inch on the 3 sides to hide the grout and top tiles. Easy.

  • 10 years ago

    I like mirrors with big frames and small mirrors, Makes more of a statement and very little problem with what they reflect. Also hang a great chandelier over table.

    Amber T thanked susan2494
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    tatts, people won't see themselves eating in the mirror unless they all play for the Lakers.

  • 10 years ago

    @Beverly, LOL. I am convinced that Kobie Bryant has a side business of hanging pictures on the walls of most of the homes in America.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    True Dat

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We specialize in murals. We can make anything you want. Here are just a few examples of what could work:

    Flower Window Wall Mural, 36"x24" · More Info


    Lighthouse Ridge Wall Mural · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Maybe you could move the table to the right and add an arc lamp over the table (round) for a chandelier and make the FP a LR focal point and move the sofa perpendicular to the FP. Can you show us photos of the entire space for best suggestions?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Sorry, you just wanted ideas for above the FP, not space plan help. A round pretty round mirror would be my choice.

    Round Wall Mirror, Dark Brown · More Info
    Agatha Ceramic Vases, Set of 3 · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Mirrors should reflect (double) something beautiful or interesting that you want to see twice. I would hang art 5" above the mantel. It should be no wider than the firebox. Agree - the rug under the table needs to be 4' larger than the table when fully extended. A square rug might work well when you have it in an oval and equally well when round. I see a seating piece in the corner of your second photo. Is this also the living room? I'm thinking you need more help than you've asked for. We'd have more for you if we could see all walls and all furniture here. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results!

  • 10 years ago

    Lots of good advice. Only thing I can think to add is to stain the mantle darker, like the tile on the bottom.

  • 10 years ago

    BeverlyFLAD...Yes. That was my point. Mirrors over fireplaces are a bad idea in any space where people are sitting down. It looks stupid.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I almost always prefer art to mirrors. Fireplaces and foyer table mirrors usually work quite nicely.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Listen I do not favor mirrors hung over sideboards which run parallel to dining tables., but, again, there is no way for a person sitting at the table to see themselves in the mirror.

  • 10 years ago
    What are the software programs being used to add things to the room??????
  • 10 years ago

    Agree with Beverly. In this case there will be no worry about watching yourself eat as the mirror will not be visible to people sitting at the table. I think a mirror will work nicely here.

  • 10 years ago

    I will post some pics asap, this pesky work thing is in the way.

    As for the mantle, it is going to be stained a darker color to pick up on the tile below. I figured if I didn't care for it stained, I could paint it white. Thanks everyone!


  • 10 years ago
    I think tatts' objection to the mirror is that it would reflect the ceiling, not the diners.

    I also like mirrors over fireplaces. In feng shui it is good to mix the different elements, and adding water (represented by the mirror) to fire and earth (the hearth/chimney) can bring about a pleasing balance. Of course, the right art can achieve this balance as well.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    So here is the rest of the living space. Keep in mind the house is pretty small, it's open, but definitely on the smaller side (this was shortly after gutting the kitchen, so don't mind the random coffee pot).

  • 10 years ago

    Where is the kitchen in relation to the dining?

  • 10 years ago

    To the right of the coffee pot wall.

  • 10 years ago

    Have you considered a large decorative clock? This clock hangs (38"diameter) above the desk in our breakfast area which sits between the kitchen and the family room. It is a great conversation piece and the open floor plan its great to be able to see what time it is from any where :-) A black framed clock might be a nice addition to your space

  • 10 years ago

    I have a clock but it doesn't look big enough. The mantle is about 79" wide...what is the minimum width I can get away with??

  • 10 years ago

    I think you'd want it to be 36" to as wide as 40" - although if you decided to add panels on the windows you could probably go as narrow as 32"

  • 10 years ago

    I say remove the rug altogether to create more space. Darzy has a point, too. May I suggest an abstract wood carving/sculpture or vintage metal sculpture on the wall? It should take up 80% of the space.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I really like the mirror idea. Even though this wall has windows to break up its 2-dimensional character, a mirror reflects the depth of the room which should help to add size to what you describe as a smallish space. Over-using mirror in small spaces is always an error so don't get carried away with the mirror concept. However, this is a perfect spot and I honestly don't think that ANY mirror you place there would be a mistake. In fact, the way the space is currently decorated your idea of a "fun" piece is really the route to take. If you enjoy any of my commentary please click on my Pro-Page link on the left and click on "follow". Regards.

    M

  • 10 years ago

    Looks like you have a pretty nature view out your windows, might reflect that in a large landscape of trees in a natural setting. Bring nature into your home