Software
Houzz Logo Print
thepalmettoporch

Plantation Shutters - not matching trim - help!

10 years ago
So long story short - my shutters were installed recently with request and cost for custom color to match trim.

They were installed and right away I noticed it wasn't matching. The owner called and said they'd redo order and then also offered a significant discount (40%) if I wanted to keep.

I'm tempted to take money but definitely bothers me it doesn't match. Most noticeable on inside mount windows vs the outside mount. I've included pic for reference. From far away it's not bad but noticeable for sure when close up. My gut says not to skimp on this but would like opinions. Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)

  • 10 years ago

    Can you paint the trim work to match the shutters?

  • 10 years ago
    That would be great but we have SO much wainscoting, trim and molding all over our house I just don't think it would work??
  • 10 years ago

    Follow your gut then;)

  • 10 years ago
    Yes that is what I was afraid of ;-) *sigh*
  • 10 years ago

    Hey, they will be replacing them, you will have what you expected and envisioned. I know it is tempting to take the money but why take the chance of always regretting it, right??

  • 10 years ago
    Yes, for sure.
  • 10 years ago
    It would drive me crazy I would definitely redo :(
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    This is why I often do Bright White trim paint so I can order plain white plantation shutters. No mistakes and no regrets.

    IMO those shutters are almost yellow and I could never live with it. It will screw up all your selections from this point forward.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    When matching a paint color, always get a strike off for approval. Whites are the most difficult color to match.

  • 10 years ago
    Redo for sure. Every time you look at it, it will drive you crazy.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'd definitely want the shutters to match the trim one way or the other. Based on what it looks like in the pic, it's a very obvious difference IMO.

    Like Margo, my initial thought was to re-paint the trim. A 40% savings for shutters can be quite significant.....particularly if you've done most/all your windows. "Whole home" shutter quotes I've seen has ranged from around $10k-$20k. So 40% of that may exceed the cost of repainting the trim (in some cases). But after you described how much trim work you do have, sounds like there's a chance that may not be the case.

    So FWIW, I'd consider it if 1) there is potentially a significant-enough savings (and confirming this with a couple paint estimates, etc.) and 2) the new trim color "goes" with the other colors throughout the home.

    Otherwise, get the shutters replaced with the right color. IMO that would be the better choice in the long run.

  • 7 years ago

    I don't believe this photo (above). It looks exactly like what happened recently to me! A large nationwide department store interior decorator blames me for selecting the wrong color of white for my new Woodlore Plus shutters. Now, they say I am stuck with the shutters because they are a custom order. $4000.00 down the drain!!! Any opinions or advice please...


    Chris Helm

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I just got installed plantation shutters it goes beautiful with the inside colors of the walls in the house but it doesn't look good with the outside trimming of the house what can I do.

  • 6 years ago

    What did everyone decide to do on this issue? Have the plantation shutters re-painted, or change the exterior trim?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Don't worry that the trim doesn't match the cabinets, that's not necessarily A Bad Thing, and almost impossible to achieve, unless you paint the cabinets and shutters at the same time. Look at the overall room in question, as long as everything bends you've got it made. Besides, the last thing you want is matchie matchie. Now relax and enjoy your shutters.

  • 4 years ago

    We just had our shutters repainted and added new trim around the windows in same color. The colors are not the same and look so different. The shutters came out super white but the trim looks warmer but the walls look white. So weird how different materials come out different colors.

  • 4 years ago

    I have i believe basic white plantation shutters and pute white trim, you woukd have to squint and stare to see the difference but they are two completely different whites. i got mind jnstalled where thr sit flushed outside the trim. Now i want to paint the rooms bold darker colors inlcuding the trim, everyhting one color, how can i make that work with these shutters that sit on outside although flushed on the trim? and the color differences really in your case woukdnt bother me, but what would is that your blinds look yellow.