Software
Houzz Logo Print
jill_mckennon

Fireplace built in help and furniture placement

10 years ago

Hi, we just bought this home and are trying to figure out how to help out the fireplace area. Just seems off with the built ins. Would like to really beef it up a bit but not sure how or maybe if we should paint that whole area white? We also bought the beige sectional from the original homeowners. Planning to paint this room Revere Pewter and have a lot of neutrals in here with maybe some pops of light blue. Any suggestions on type of coffee table we should have and if we should have an accent chair?


Thanks!!

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, paint your shelves and over the fireplace white. You could put a TV in one of the cabinets, if you remove a shelf. I would suggest a warmer greige instead of Revere Pewter for your room. You have a reddish brick FP and now a beige sofa, so you need something to compliment the hues. Here is Accessible Beige from Sherwin Williams. I looked on the Benjamin Moore site but couldn't find a warm greige- they seemed to green:

    . The coffee table will depend on other furniture in the room , but perhaps a black and brown reclaimed wood/rustic style like this one at Overstock.com


    Add your blue with pillows and maybe an area rug - this one at Overstock ( note it has the red from the brick, blue , brown and black)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    paint the brick fireplace surround a nice white as well! I'd go with a lighter rug to contrast with the chair, as right now it looks all one tone.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Check out this photo from houzz - http://houzz.com/sr/m=7/u=L3Bob3Rvcy8yMDgxNjM0
  • 10 years ago

    It almost looks like your shelves and cabinets are a little too white in contrast with the other tones in the room. Also the shelves look a little skimpy. Could you beef them up with thicker wood?


    Also, I would not paint the FP white or any other color. What you have now with the FP adds a great focal point to the room and the style seems to compliment other things you have going on.

  • 10 years ago
    This is actually previous owners furniture in it. it will be blank in here except for couch. I do agree that Revere pewter may be too cold to go along with beige couch so I will try to find something warmer. Also never really thought of doing a warmer white... definitely looks too stark now after reading your comments. I think we will have our carpenter come over and see what he can do to thicken up shelves. My husband has a huge TV he wants to use so that won't fit in shelves :(.
  • 10 years ago

    Since this room has neutral tones, I would suggest adding some colorful accent pieces to attract attention. A statement chair would be perfect for the room along with some eclectic vases and artwork.

  • 10 years ago
    I've been looking a lot at other fireplaces with shelves and think what throws me off here is that the brick doesn't continue all the way up. Thinking it might look better if we continued the brick all the way up and then added a nice chunky distressed wood mantle. Thoughts? Would probably have a hard time finding brick to match so may have to paint it. Other option is to reach it with stacked stone with beige and gray tied in. I also love shiplap... but worry about how fireproof it would be. We have a gas line right under the fireplace that we will most likely run right into it so we can have the fireplace be gas so we will use it more.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I would remove the built-ins they are not beefy enough IMO they actually look cheap I would get a nice fireplace surround you already have an accent chair in the space I would get an area rug that is not so close tothe chair in color with some blue in it some drapes with some blue , gray and cream in them a blue throw over the chair and I would take the ottoman from the chair and just go wiyh a leather ottoman for use as coffee table and ottoman.


    Jill McK thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 10 years ago

    Very pretty! Thanks!

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Diane! I think I am moving towards the paint color you suggested. Will try a few samples. And definitely move to a softer white. I will look for some shiplap inspiration as I know the cost will be WAY less than stack stone. I really think the fireplace just looks cut off to me and if I extend it all the way up it will look much nicer.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree Jill- you are doing great!