Software
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_hart_hadar

Empty space next to fireplace!

13 years ago
Help please! My husband really wants a TV in this room and I want to HIDE it. We only have about 48" of space. Any ideas?!? Thanks

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would extend the fireplace up to the ceiling and add built in cabinetry to the left of it. You can then place the television in the cabinetry to properly conceal it. The mantle should also be a different color so that it stands out and doesn't blend into the color of the wall.
  • 13 years ago
    I love your ideas! Unfortunately we do not have the budget to extend the fireplace, or do custom cabinets. I do think painting the mantel would be doable! Thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    a big tall plant..even a realistic fake one .
  • 13 years ago
    I would consider a mirror, about the size of the door on the opposite side, with a rustic finish or perhaps mirrored [houzz=
    Antique Tiled Floor Mirror · More Info
    ]. Regarding the TV, maybe on the wall opposite the windows? or.... above the fireplace. The mirror is lovely (I need one like that for my stairway ;-), but proportionally, it doesn't work for me there.
  • 13 years ago
    Can't place TV anywhere else :( should I gulp put tv over fireplace, gulp gulp
  • 13 years ago
    I understand your hesitancy - I too wouldn't want to put it there, but if there is no other option, and it would work better than along side of it... Is it a flat screen? Does it 'fit' dimensionally-speaking?
  • 13 years ago
    If you can't extend the fireplace, then mount the television above the fireplace. I would still paint the mantle. You then need to find something to fill the space to the left of the fireplace. A plant, or a cabinet?
  • 13 years ago
    If you keep the area of the television clean, it can really add to the overall comfort of the room. here is an idea to keep in mind.
    Mary Trantow · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think that you have an L-shpaed unit, but is there any chance you could move the sofas 90 degrees right and put the tv to the left of the fireplace? Above the fireplace is better, but not too high because it becomes difficult on your neck to watch it if it's up too high.
  • 13 years ago
    What size tv? I would vote for it being on the left. The stark white of the wall against that dark, dark stone bothers me. If tv cannot go on the left, or even it it can, remove all the molding, paint the wall a color which harmonizes with the stone, install the tv above the fireplace but make sure that it doesn't overwhelm the size of the fireplace. That would be a huge tv, so I doubt you will get one that big. A tv on the left will not overwhelm that huge fireplace. But your angle for viewing there might require rearranging your furniture. Hiding the tv costs quite a bit while getting on the left and de-emphasizing it will be much easier.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would not hang the TV over the fireplace. Instead, I would put a small console to the left of the fireplace and either set the TV on top or mount it above on an articulating arm. This assumes you can reconfigure the sectional so it faces the other way. Finally, I would replace the mirror with three matted and black-framed prints side by side to echo the black rectangular television now in the corner.
    Martin Console · More Info

    Reclaimed Wood Tall Console Table · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Find three images you like for over the fireplace. (I wouldn't use family photos here, but that's a personal choice.) Maybe don't even frame them. Have giclees printed in black-and-white and line them up.
    Living Room / Dining Room. · More Info

    Contemporary Photographs · More Info
  • 8 years ago

    I think the tv Iover the fireplace works. It balances the weight of the fireplace stone.

    Try not to overdo it with too many decorated areas. Restraint is in order

  • 8 years ago

    this post is 5 years old!